Page 1 of 3
excuse me I'm not exactly "young" but I know what emo is and I'm kind of lost. I see all these bands that are described as ____core. Are they emo, or are they emo metal, or just metal, I mean they still have the emo hair cuts and emo style lyrics/singing; so why the core? Why not just emo-metal?

So basically could someone explain to me what the core suffix means and why are some core bands following the emo look yet called core? Are they still Emo or what?
it sucks

Well, it's derivative of the hardcore genre so metal + hardcore = metalcore (commercial metal w/ screaming)

It's also usually substainsially more commercial

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
you just posted the same thread...
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Quote by slayer_zero
you just posted the same thread...

i was under the assumption that people didn't understand my title, so I made it clearer
If core means teenage,

what does deathcore mean, because I'm listening to this band called faceless and they're very good but not emo, so what does the core really mean?
Quote by sweeptehsweepz
If core means teenage,

what does deathcore mean, because I'm listening to this band called faceless and they're very good but not emo, so what does the core really mean?

core doesn't mean teenage, people on this website just assume the majority of people who listen to _____ core are teenagers. (which they mostly are)
It has nothing to do with emo.

It means it has HARDCORE elements and HARDCORE influences, hence the fucking CORE suffix.

There's already a huge thread explaining this.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
it means the hardcore version of which usually is a lot more simple. this in turn attracts more teenagers (hence the "core means teenage") because of its easy to comprehend "breakdowns"
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
core=anything modern that metal elitists do not approve of.

so are bands like attack attack!, bring me the horizon, the devil wears prada...are they emo or scene, or just renamed something-core but really are emo and or scene?
Where'd my post go?

I said "what?"
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Core most of the times just means it was influenced by NYHC bands or old school Hardcore punk bands... Most of the time Metal Head elitists will claim its terrible because it has breakdowns, but even metal bands got em.

Emo = very emotional lyrics that learn towards depressive feelings

Scene = is not a music style its a fashion
Last edited by deathcore101 at Sep 1, 2009,
Basically the core means that they use a ****load of breakdowns or play in a dropped tuning.

Some can be good, but most is bad.
Quote by naedauuf
I'm in need of a guy
emo-esque
Quote by soXlittleXtimeX
^
shanchett, you get an E for Effort

Quote by CodChick

ROFLLOBSTER
Quote by sweeptehsweepz
so are bands like attack attack!, bring me the horizon, the devil wears prada...are they emo or scene, or just renamed something-core but really are emo and or scene?

"scene" is not a fucking genre, it's just a mindblowingly stupid way of describing what wannabe psuedo-hipsters listen to. Those bands are pop rock.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by sweeptehsweepz

their just horrible.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
"scene" is not a fucking genre, it's just a mindblowingly stupid way of describing what wannabe psuedo-hipsters listen to. Those bands are pop rock.

Pop-rock?!!?

bring me to the horizon and the devil wears prada are pop rock?!?!!?

It has nothing to do with emo.

It means it has HARDCORE elements and HARDCORE influences, hence the fucking CORE suffix.

There's already a huge thread explaining this.
+1

to the guys saying that it sucks and emo-esque/.......

genre elitists are fuking morons
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
You clearly don't know what emo is. Ahem, here we go:

80s hardcore punk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri2lQLkg7cU
Sorta like punk, but more aggressive and harsh.

Modern day hardcore: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUD3MhRpOPg
Similar to 80s hardcore

Metalcore : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utT0lLC6d5Q
Duel Punk and metal influences. Much harsher vocals, and more difficult instrumentation

"Nu-Metalcore" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhYT-7bzHis
a term used to describe modern day metalcore bands that have a heavy focus on breakdowns, and gothenburg style riffs.

deathcore - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o9tj-xH1qU
more influence on breakdowns, and more extreme: death metal influenced metalcore

there you go
Quote by Ghrim
their just horrible.

omg liek no there not lawl i luff attack attack wif there litl rave songz in the middil of metal songs itz liek ill be rawken owtt at a concert n then it full liek turnz into a rave!!!!!11!!!
Quote by naedauuf
I'm in need of a guy
Quote by Pooinsky
Pop-rock?!!?

bring me to the horizon and the devil wears prada are pop rock?!?!!?

they are now, pop rock redefines itself every few years.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Demonology
omg liek no there not lawl i luff attack attack wif there litl rave songz in the middil of metal songs itz liek ill be rawken owtt at a concert n then it full liek turnz into a rave!!!!!11!!!

this thread is getting spammy

*reported*
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Ghrim
their just horrible.

+1 for White Walls, that song is AMAZING, its the one that changed me over to metal.

I listened to attack attack and their music is catchy...in a bad way...it gets stuck in your head way; I was just confused because they looked like what the emo kids I've seen around the city look like. Although, attack attack plays metal, so they're like Emo-Metal-Core?
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
they are now, pop rock redefines itself every few years.

I'm sorry but they are far from pop-rock.
Metalcore is too Emo to be metal IMO
Stuff:
ESP/LTD EC-200QM (with SD Distortions)
1986 Charvel Model 4
2013 Ibanez RG7421WH

Amps
Marshall MS-2 microamp (a POS)
B-52 LG-100a head (Not bad)

Pedals
Digitech Grunge distortion
Quote by sweeptehsweepz

TDWP is metalcore
BMTH is deathcore/metalcore
A!A! I have no clue.
The last 2 are pretty scene-ish but that has nothing to do with the music.

For good ----core, check out Converge, Botch, Dillinger Escape Plan, Between the Buried and Me, and Modern Life is War. These bands are a good variety of the different ----core bands.
Quote by Td_Nights
I went as Darth Vadar to a school dance before.

Sure I got kicked out, but the DJ played the Imperial March and I just felt badass.
Quote by Demonology

Whats wrong with some house music with your metalz at the same time?, I enjoy it once in a while
The band members choose to express themselves like two year olds instead of in a creative and artful way.
Quote by TheReverend724
hardcore influences

death metal + hardcore = deathcore

metal + hardcore = metalcore

etc

and it doesn't suck

Your avatar
^ thank you

Quote by sweeptehsweepz
Although, attack attack plays metal, so they're like Emo-Metal-Core?

Attack Attack are post hardcore / metalcore with electronic influences
Last edited by TheReverend724 at Sep 1, 2009,
emo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMkH6xi6-Og
a more melodic/mellow version of 80s hardcore punk

MCR, Fallout boy, Taking back sunday, are not emo. They are pop rock

screamo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edpot4xOqsI
a much harsher more chaotic emo

Silverstein, Alexisonfire, etc are not screamo

grindcore: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_SqtCNhv44
again, punk and metal influences, more chaotic than metalcore and having thrash metal influences. There are subgenres of grindcore as well.
Quote by sweeptehsweepz
+1 for White Walls, that song is AMAZING, its the one that changed me over to metal.

I listened to attack attack and their music is catchy...in a bad way...it gets stuck in your head way; I was just confused because they looked like what the emo kids I've seen around the city look like. Although, attack attack plays metal, so they're like Emo-Metal-Core?

/sigh

Genre of music does not change not matter how you dress.

Look at Necrophagist, they are ****ing brutal but just wear t-shirts and normal pants. (like they don't wear heavy make up, have long hair and stuff like most bands of that genre do)
Quote by naedauuf
I'm in need of a guy
Last edited by Demonology at Sep 1, 2009,
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
core=anything modern that metal elitists do not approve of.

This
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by sweeptehsweepz

Emo and scene are types of fashions. (Well, in this day and age anyway)

A band's genre is not determined by the clothes they wear, it is determined by the type of music they play.

Metalcore is metal with significant influences from hardcore.

Many metalcore bands dress in the emo or scene style of fashion.

This is where you are getting confused.
Quote by deathnote29
TDWP is metalcore
BMTH is deathcore/metalcore
A!A! I have no clue.
The last 2 are pretty scene-ish but that has nothing to do with the music.

For good ----core, check out Converge, Botch, Dillinger Escape Plan, Between the Buried and Me, and Modern Life is War. These bands are a good variety of the different ----core bands.

really?

I mean BMTH/TDWP, their image/style is what would you say, Emo?

Their vocals are emo-esque sounding to me, are you sure they're not just emo-metal?

Oh and thanks for the recommendations, I have the Between the Buried and Me discography, just got it today Can't wait for their new release
Page 1 of 3