Quote by Blckspawn
Is their a such thing as a Penatonic Harmonic Minor?

Yes there is.
Inhuman evil take down!
Quote by Blckspawn
Is their a such thing as a Penatonic Harmonic Minor?

The minor pentatonic scale contains the notes: 1 b3 4 5 b7

The defining characteristic of the harmonic minor is the natural 7th scale degree.

I'm assuming harmonic minor pentatonic would be 1 b3 4 5 7
Quote by slingshotjr
thats like asking if there is such a thing as a minor major
There is such thing.
"Pentatonic" refers to the scale containing only five tones. A B C D E is a pentatonic scale. I've never heard of a standard formula for a "pentatonic harmonic minor" scale, so my guess is that it does not exist the way the formula for the major pentatonic exists, but pick five tones from the harmonic minor scale and you'll have your pentatonic scale. Just be sure to pick the important tones, so your scale will contain 1 b3 b6 7 X, where X is any other tone in the harmonic minor scale. (You know how bad I wanted to use set notation for that?)

Edit: Fixed. There's no b2 in the harmonic minor scale. FYI, it's okay to say, "Sue, I think you made a mistake." If I screw up, just say it. I know you know - You know who you are! - that there's no b2 in the harmonic minor scale.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Sep 2, 2009,
Quote by bangoodcharlote
"Pentatonic" refers to the scale containing only five tones. A B C D E is a pentatonic scale. I've never heard of a standard formula for a "pentatonic harmonic minor" scale, so my guess is that it does not exist the way the formula for the major pentatonic exists, but pick five tones from the harmonic minor scale and you'll have your pentatonic scale. Just be sure to pick the important tones, so your scale will contain 1 b2 b6 7 X, where X is any other tone in the harmonic minor scale. (You know how bad I wanted to use set notation for that?)

did you mean b3 by chance? I wasn't aware of the harmonic minor scale having a b2... (that sounded dickish, i'm just trying to make sure i'm not missing something)