I just watched Inglorious Basterds and have a couple of questions . Firstly i didnt understand the holding up three fingers thing...do germans normally not hold up a thumb and two fingers or something?

Secondly what happened to french male civillians during the war were they just held in their country or were they put into forced labor or what?
the 3 fingers thing, yes, its a german tradition to hold up 3 fingers for 3 instead of 2 fingers and a thumb .that's what gave him away in that scene.
I've got the spirit, but lose the feeling.
Quote by intheshadowplay
the 3 fingers thing, yes, its a german tradition to hold up 3 fingers for 3 instead of 2 fingers and a thumb .that's what gave him away in that scene.

weird. i never even thought about such things when ordering drinks lol.
Quote by intheshadowplay

It is? I never knew about that lol.
Quote by intheshadowplay

no, the german way is thumb and two fingers. He used three fingers and that gave him away.

also, what was the powder Aldo kept sniffing throughout the movie?
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
it is. don't ask me to explain it though. i was watching it with my girlfriend who lived in germany for a few years and she was like "oh ****" when she saw him do it. i didn't realize what it meant until the fight scene began.
I've got the spirit, but lose the feeling.
i would find it strange if someone did use two fingers and a thumb to represent the number three
Quote by KreatorRage
It is? I never knew about that lol.

lol

Where EXACTLY are you from in Germany? Wo sind Ihre Papiere!!
Quote by MegaDavie
lol

Where EXACTLY are you from in Germany? Wo sind Ihre Papiere!!

it says he's from essen under his avatar

silly september 09ers
Quote by NakedBassist
no, the german way is thumb and two fingers. He used three fingers and that gave him away.

also, what was the powder Aldo kept sniffing throughout the movie?

Snuff. Tobacco you can sniff. It was the preference for older times.
Quote by yeoman125
it says he's from essen under his avatar

silly september 09ers

its a joke concerning the scene from the film twatbag.
I was like "O shi-" when I saw him hold up 3 fingers. Everybody around me was really confused
In diesem Herz hab ich die Macht.

Gear:
Fender MIM HSS Strat (Wine Red)
VOX Valvetronix VT20+
Kay K390 Acoustic
That film was awesome. That is all.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by MegaDavie
I just watched Inglorious Basterds and have a couple of questions .
Q1a) Firstly i didnt understand the holding up three fingers thing...do germans normally not hold up a thumb and two fingers or something?

Q1b) Secondly what happened to french male civillians during the war were they just held in their country or were they put into forced labor or what?

A1a) It's just a movie

A1b) It's just a movie
Yeah, I was the only one recognizing that too, the three-fingers-thing.
And for the male civilians, there was STO - Service Travail Obligatoire. (German: Arbeitsdienst) where they would have to go work for the Germans, basically.

Also:
Quote by JohnnyV
A1a) It's just a movie

A1b) It's just a movie

smartass.
Quote by blue_strat
This is Germany we're talking about.

Germany

Quote by stoner179
Thanks alot. When i read the first sentence, i dont know why, but i laughed in the middle of my first class at tech school. You sir have made me look like a fool for the first and last time
Quote by MegaDavie

Secondly what happened to french male civillians during the war were they just held in their country or were they put into forced labor or what?

Yes, every single French male was carted off to labour camps. All of them.