so, we're trying to make originals for once.
Theres some problems tho. My band members wont really listen to me when i show them a song i made up.
also the song writer wont write lyrics... or cant hes not very good at it
I play guitar, I have a singer who plays guitar too, and a bassist who also knows how to play guitar. But im the only one thats looked on to make the songs. Which normally i would have no problem with but schools starting up again and i just dont have time anymore..
Also When we try to jam my singer/rythem guitar just plays already made songs that sort of work for the drum beat.
and when i tell him to play only original stuff he gets really pissed off. sugggestions?
Sounds like you're the only one in the band who wants to do original songs, maybe you should ask the other guys whether they want to too.

Having school on is not a good enough excuse to not write songs/lyrics. There is no good excuse. It just depends on whether you want to do it or not.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Sounds like you're the only one in the band who wants to do original songs, maybe you should ask the other guys whether they want to too.

Having school on is not a good enough excuse to not write songs/lyrics. There is no good excuse. It just depends on whether you want to do it or not.

This^

Sounds like your other band members don't want to put the work in to make music. However I also doubt your commitment if going to school will prevent you from writing music.
It might not just be that they don't want to - they may just be scared that what they write will suck. Its a lot easier to just play other peoples stuff, as you're not putting anything of yourself out there for people to criticise.

If it is a confidence thing I guess you could try starting off simple and suggest you just all jam to a chord progression - even just as a warm up to start with. Pick a key, get your singer to come up with a chord progression on his guitar - if he doesn't come up with something pretty quick help him out by suggesting a couple of chords, then get your bass player to play something to fit. Even if its just root notes to start with it might make them realise that its not actually that scary, and making your own stuff up can be fun. And try writing lyrics together - if you can't all sit down and do it together then try like one person comes up with a line, next person writes the next line, etc. Keep it lighthearted - the idea is to get them interested and having fun, not to write an epic song
i reccomend you find yourself a new band.
________________________________ ________________________________
______________________________ ______________________________
I had a similar issue before our lineup change a 7-8 months ago....

I didn't have a problem working on songs and working on guitar, but the band members tried to use their jobs as excuse and how I get alot of down time in college (none of them even know how hard some semesters can be).

Along with that my band members looked at me all the time to make a guitar riff to work around which is fine but not my forte for song inspiration... ya know on the spot try to make it fit stuff..

just see where they want the band to go... I personally don't care if I get big but I wouldn't mind some high quality songs my band does or I do. If it doesnt work out find a new group.. ever since my band replaced the drummer and bass player (both who are still very close friends just had more important commitments) things have been going smoother.
Sounds like your band isn't serious to me.
Either become a cover band, or try to persuade them into your ways one last time.
Just be aware that if you decide to leave, you might want to look for another band before leaving so that you don't end up with a 6 month empty gap where you do nothing.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄