Page 1 of 2
Curious as to whether or not anyone else here is into Oi punk.
New or old, North American or European doesn't matter.

****ty RAC and WP Oi can stay the hell away.
Last edited by ImSteve at Sep 1, 2009,
Oi! is quite awesome. The Oppressed, Cockney Rejects, Angelic Upstarts and Sham 69 are my favorites. Haven't listened to much in the past few weeks though.

What bands do you like, TS?
Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
Love me some Blitz!
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10
I like the old english Oi bands quite a bit (Blitz, Angelic Upstarts, Last Resort, Sham 69, 4-Skins etc.) and I listen to a fair bit of American Oi as well (Templars, Patriot, Bruisers, Anti-Heros, Old DKM etc).

I find that I like the majority of Oi I've heard so long as it doesn't have racist undertones.
Oi Oi Oi!

maybe a little macho but its better than new wave

can't beat sham or the rejects but if u wanna go a little further afield theres some great "punk pathetique" bands like the test tube babys, splodgenessabounds and toy dolls. Oh and don't forget the UK subs not usually included in the oi genre but they sound oi to me.

"Lace up boots and corduroys"
Last edited by S.A.D at Sep 2, 2009,
Oi sucks.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Quote by ImSteve
I like the old english Oi bands quite a bit (Blitz, Angelic Upstarts, Last Resort, Sham 69, 4-Skins etc.) and I listen to a fair bit of American Oi as well (Templars, Patriot, Bruisers, Anti-Heros, Old DKM etc).

I find that I like the majority of Oi I've heard so long as it doesn't have racist undertones.

Yep, I like Oi! Mostly English Oi, like all of the bands you stated Not forgetting **** Sparrer off of that list
I'm also into a band called the Magnificent, they're not and English band though.
But, as you say, I won't listen to anything that is seen as racist.

Was supposed to be going to see the 4-Skins in the town that I live in, but it got cancelled Condemned 84 were also playing.

My dad is a big Oi fan aswell, that's how I started listening.
let these flat chords just break your heart...
Last edited by soph_bassist! at Sep 2, 2009,
British Oi is ok from time to time, I don´t mind when others listen to it.
- Angelic Upstarts are ok, simply because they covered White Riot live.
- **** Sparrer are ok, but the lyrics of Watch your back are symbolic for what I question at Oi.
- 4 Skins, Cockney Rejects or The Business don´t get through to me
- Sham 69 are really great, but I don´t know what should make them an Oi band
(- Discipline are from NL, but I really don´t want to listen to them for some reasons)

German Oi is quite different from British Oi, the singers often have voices like Wattie and the music is harder than for example **** Sparrer and all in all it´s not so snotty.
- Loikaemie, Troopers are ok, since they are either political or make fun of the Skinhead scene
- Stage Bottles are ok
- Jesus Skins are fun to listen to, but they sound like christian extremists
- Krawallbrüder, Verlorene Jungs, Freiwild, Rabauken, Volxsturm, Broilers, Pöbel&Gesocks, Betontod, Halunken, Emscherkurve77.............are sometimes more, sometimes less mediocre boring, unmaginative music

other Oi like Los Fastidios (if you want to call them like that) sometimes seems to be boring, but ok
Sieg Heil brother.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Oh look, a stray pit monkey.
You must have been unlucky with most of the skinheads you have met, unless you're referring to racist skinheads?

I know a lot of skinheads and have met a lot of skinheads, all of which have been lovely people, and are more traditional skinheads.
Quote by soph_bassist!
You must have been unlucky with most of the skinheads you have met, unless you're referring to racist skinheads?

I know a lot of skinheads and have met a lot of skinheads, all of which have been lovely people, and are more traditional skinheads.

the SHARP skinheads are pretty cool, but the homophobic commie hating ones are stupid.
Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely helps them to deceive themselves-Eric Hoffer

Quote by GannonBracewell

CBGB wants to be famous like the others such as Green Day and Offspring. They don't want to be a underground punk band.
Yes, they are stupid and there is no need for it.
All of the skinheads I know/have met aren't motivated in that way and are all SHARPs.
One of my best friends is a skinhead, and he's the loveliest person that I know
Quote by BostonLacrosse
the SHARP skinheads are pretty cool, but the homophobic commie hating ones are stupid.

SHARP Skinheads? Skinheads are rather pugilistic?

I Love Oi! I'm listening to Stage Bottles right now. I like a good chunk of it from all over the world and in different times. Can't really get into political Oi for some reason.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
I always get sick of saying "I don't like Skinheads" and punks will always say "ya know man they're not all racist."

I don't like ANY skinheads. Buncha workin' class meatheads with shitty music. Fuck 'em.
Quote by Bottle of Dirt
SHARP Skinheads? Skinheads are rather pugilistic?

I Love Oi! I'm listening to Stage Bottles right now. I like a good chunk of it from all over the world and in different times. Can't really get into political Oi for some reason.

aren´t the Stage Bottles somehow political? When I saw them live I liked them, because they simply didn´t act like these other Oi bands and of course the saxophone

On the last festival I went to nearly any skinhead there called me a Hippie, they don´t seem to like dreads........there were few funny guys, but most of them acted like spoilt scene bastards who lay down on their superior physics.
I also found a video from that festival on youtube where a pack of skins walks around and smashes any chair and what else was left at the end while shouting "Kill all Hippies".........
I ****in' hate skinheads too, they are all a bunch of pricks, even the non-racist ones. Almost as bad as the Irish.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
I think theres a higher ratio of skins I've liked to punks. Punks are snooty, skins tend to just let you do your thing without this "X'er than you attitude"

Bar WP and most SHARPies of course.
I'm an Exploited fan.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Peter & the Test-tube babies, sham69, cockney rejects, the business, 4 skins...etc, i love it all... even though alot of it sounds the same
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
I just started listening to Oi, and I like it a lot. I like the old bands, I find **** SParrer especially good.
Yeah, I went through a big **** sparrer phase.

I don't care for them now though, because they're just a bunch of bald bastard truckies in polo shirts who should be in a retirement home (preferably one where all the inmates have mysterious bruises).
Oi is pretty cool.
i've never been the biggest fan, but some obvious bands like **** sparrer, the business, sham 69 are really good.
and as for skinheads... i have nothing against them.
only met one or two so my opinion means nothing.
i don't think racism is a good thing, so the neo-Nazi-style skinheads aren't people i would befriend and whatnot, but skinheads who live their lifestyle racism-free, are alright by me.
I love the Cockney Rejects and Peter and the Testube Babies.

I've never met any skinheads. As long as they're not racist or nazi I don't mind them.
Why do so many oi bands use co.ck in their name to one extent or the other? Is it just something I'm not aware of or am I reading way too much into nothing?
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
cockney rejects and sham 69 are the kind of oi that i like. im not to big on the neonazi racist oi, like skrewdriver and all that bull****. **** sparrer is pretty good too.

and if you wanna consider them oi, lower class brats
Last edited by 5cent Slut at Sep 12, 2009,
Quote by Bottle of Dirt
Why do so many oi bands use co.ck in their name to one extent or the other? Is it just something I'm not aware of or am I reading way too much into nothing?

It's because the Oi genre is associated with c0ckneys, which are people from London's east end.

Amusingly though, Sham 69 (the "c0ckney cowboys") are from Hersham in Surrey, which is in the Southwest of greater london, so they aren't C0ckneys at all.

C0cksparrer are called that because 'c0ckney sparrer' (sparrow) is a common east end term of endearment.
Quote by 5cent Slut
cockney rejects and sham 69 are the kind of oi that i like. im not to big on the neonazi racist oi, like skrewdriver and all that bull****. **** sparrer is pretty good too.

and if you wanna consider them oi, lower class brats

Lower Class Brats have to be thee most overrated band in punk music in my opinion.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
It's because the Oi genre is associated with c0ckneys, which are people from London's east end.

Amusingly though, Sham 69 (the "c0ckney cowboys") are from Hersham in Surrey, which is in the Southwest of greater london, so they aren't C0ckneys at all.

C0cksparrer are called that because 'c0ckney sparrer' (sparrow) is a common east end term of endearment.

Never would have thought that. Thanks a lot.
Quote by BR0KENHEARTED
Lower Class Brats have to be thee most overrated band in punk music in my opinion.

they are, besides casualties and they got some pretty lame lyrics, but i can dig a psycho or just like clockwork every now and then
Lower Class Brats could bore me into a coma.
Page 1 of 2