Im not sure where to put this theres no health forum in UG i dont think.
My Callouses are getting preety thick since i switched to .11s but im a clean guy and try to shower every other day. and when i get out of the shower my Callouses are really soft and squishy and when i play guitar the skin just seperates and it gets really painful to play. And when I wait a while after i took a shower my Callouses start flaking off.

any ideas how to prevent this? I though about taping my fingers with tape but i dont know thats just werid..
my callouses get soft after a shower too, but mine never flake off...maybe don't play right after a shower and try some like repairing hand creme to help with flaky-ness.
Quote by Spowell8787
my callouses get soft after a shower too, but mine never flake off...maybe don't play right after a shower and try some like repairing hand creme to help with flaky-ness.

Sounds like a good idea, TS.

Do it.
I always let my fingers dry completely after showering.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
DEFINATELY don't play right after showering. Same goes for right after washing your hands. Let the calluses dry out, and maybe help them along a bit (wrap hand in towel/blow dryer if you have one). Another suggestion I typically give is get an acoustic and play that to death. Your calluses will be indestructable
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
clean guy and you try to shower every other day?

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Idk, my fingers used to be really calloused for the first several years that I played guitar, but after a while, my finger tips got softer again but at the same time it no longer hurts my fingers to play.
This is odd. Never heard of this being a problem. UG has seen it all.

Let your hands dry off, not just for your hands, but your guitars finish as well, unless your going for that uber broken in look. What an interesting post.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by glenthemann

Yeah.. wtf. I feel gross if i don't shower once or twice a day. anyway, just wait a little bit after your shower before playing. I have never heard of this happening, rather odd
Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD M-1000 Deluxe w/ FR
Hamer XT-series SATQ
Fender Stratocaster
'75 Fender F-35 Acoustic
Amp
Vox VT15
Pedals
535Q Crybaby Wah
Don't play right after shower.

Or play immediately after shower and bugger all of the nerve endings so you don't need callouses anymore.

.11s in E standard?
Me too!
I used to play with 11s in E standard and never had this problem, probably because I was too tired to bother playing right after a shower. Your skin soaks up water when you shower and gets soft, ease off the playing immediatly after.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
do you play guitar in the shower as well?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by glenthemann

well i have like zero hair so i dont really feel dirty often.

Quote by Sir Anonymous

.11s in E standard?
Me too!

How long have you been playing with the .11s and what did you switch up from? My callouses rarely ever peel off and I also use 11s in E and 12s in D. I think maybe its because Ive slowly gone up from 9s and never really let my fingers take to much damage. Just keep at'er and maybe your callouses will strengthen up, dont let them peel off.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!