Hey Everyone

Lately I've been working on keeping my rock rhythm maintained (more style/tone wise) and noticed that many rock players play rhythm with only down stokes for the heavier consistent tone it produces. However on songs with quicker tempos I notice a lot more tension in my picking hand than usual and am wondering if there is any way to get rid/prevent it.
alternate pick... people that only downstroke look like people who don't know how to play anything other than powerchords

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
alternate pick... people that only downstroke look like people who don't know how to play anything other than powerchords
Oh thanks I've never heard of that...
Quote by SPBY

Yeah, totally

TS: Practice slowly with good technique. You create tension with bad movements. If you have to tense up to play the part with down-picks, you need to work on slower speeds first and move faster.
sometimes you'll need to use down strokes or up strokes only because they affect the tone of the chord greatly and in some cases alternate picking for chords is not an option because it gives you a different tone.
So just practice and build speed with only up and only down strokes
Quote by SPBY

^^ he can downstroke as fast as some people can alternate, dont diss the downstroke.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
It just takes practice, the Het is very fast with downstrokes. I would recommend taking some of Metallica's songs such as Master of Puppets and playing it over and over with downstrokes until you can do it to the tempo you are looking for.

Of course you can also just play simple power-chords in succession to get the same effect.
Quote by SPBY

*See NecroMaster's response*

Jackson JS30RR
Ibanez RG170DX
Squier Stratocaster
Dunlop "Grommet" straps, strap locks & .88 Tortex Jazz picks
Behringer V-Tone GM108 (15 watt)
Boss ME-70
METAL TIL DETH!!!