Page 1 of 2
So my friends and I were drinking around a campfire when it all started. Eventually we took a walk, lit up, and the god-like combination of weed and alcohol started doing the talking. As we were passing the bowl I brought up a mind-blowing subject that usually leads to heavy debate. I said, "Isn't it weird, if you think about it... that this whole conversation can change the rest of our lives? Like say we never had this conversation, we'd probably have left earlier and that would have changed our lives completely." Think about it, every little thing you do, or don't do, changes your life, which in essence would have a chain reaction on ultimately, a lot of the people in world.

For example, say you are walking down the street, and your shoe is untied. You can either wait and tie it, or go on. Now let's say you stop and tie it, this takes about 5 seconds... you are 5 seconds behind where you could (or should have been) had you kept walking. So as you walk on, you get to a cross walk, a car has just passed through. If you hadn't tied your shoe, this guy would have stopped. His life is now altered because of a minor decision. You guys following this? Isn't this mindblowing.

So anyways, I start debating this with my friend and he keeps saying that it doesn't matter destiny is pre-defined. Everything that happens was supposed to happen. It's like a book or a movie you watch. You can't change it. That what he feels life is... I feel however, that every decision we make changes everything completely, and the same with other people, and this in turn alters the entire world in a massive way. He doesn't think we have "free-will" I feel that is what makes the world how it is, everyone's free will.

If you never read through all this, your life would be entirely different, this wouldn't be fresh in your mind and you would have saved the 2 minutes doing something else, learning something new, etc. Just thought I'd share this mind-blowing experience with you guys.

Then we got on the subject of a higher being. I personally, do not believe there is a higher being, the thought is foolish to me. I think when we die, we are just a motionless, soulless body lying six feet under. Our "soul", is the memory in others that is left behind. They can hallucinate and see us (ghosts), based upon their memory of our appearance, etc. But they never actually see us in reality, just in their mind.
Last edited by Shutout at Sep 2, 2009,
In the third paragraph, you were rambling on about "determinism." There was a huge thread on it a while ago. Try googling the concept.

Interesting stuff in any case, but I've pretty much gotten past the whole "epiphany" feeling.

EDIT: here, I googled it for you:

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&q=determinism&meta=&fp=15553ba519e8ae61

EDIT2: Oh yeah, your friend is right. Except...

You really need to read up on determinism...
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Sep 2, 2009,
I've thought of this long long ago. It blew my mind at the time also.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Our whole life and the experiences surounding them are all half chance. Think of it, if your sperm wernt that much faster you wouldnt exist and your parents/friends would be living a completely different day then which they just did. Everything is a coincidence and thinking of these things will just enable you to appreciate life for what it is. A total mess of endless and unlimited possibilities.
Fuck rights, I believe in something... even a guy like Merlin you know?
This can be taken to a whole new level by discussing alternate and parallel dimensions and time-space continuum.
You can take this even farther by realizing that through this realization, you are in control of your future.
There is nothing that matters except that you, as an individual, make choices that will influence the future - and not just yours, but everyone's. Whether they are big choices or little choices doesn't matter.
This just proves that individualism is the best philosophy out there.
Last edited by raincoffin at Sep 2, 2009,
Have you watched the movie "The Butterfly Effect"? If not you should watch it.
Predestination is bull****.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by Furnase
Have you watched the movie "The Butterfly Effect"? If not you should watch it.

Ashton Kutcher is my idol (don't laugh, I'm serious).

So yes.
I pretty much agree with everything you're saying....
E-Married to Eddie4President

ARMENIAN

Quote by VANGELIS!
Ya, my mom walked in on me taking a **** into my coffee mug when I was 23. There was a spider in the bathroom and I was too scared to go in

Quote by angusfan16
I'll join. I have a vagina.
I walked into this thread expecting a half-baked(cwutididther?), cockamamie, rant about how weed is awesome and how it should be legalized and whatnot. But then I read it and was quite surprised.

But then I realized that it's an argument that I've heard before but nonetheless a good one.

And I'm leaving without really contributing.
i found that very interesting. The Butterfly effect is a very good movie!
If they've had to use their weapons?? use their weapons? Let me tell you something they signed up to use their weapons. There is no one more bull shit then a cop....Except for a cop on TV.
arggh i double used the word very...****!
If they've had to use their weapons?? use their weapons? Let me tell you something they signed up to use their weapons. There is no one more bull shit then a cop....Except for a cop on TV.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Predestination is bull****.

Yes, it is.
So is leaving your fate, YOUR OWN FUTURE, up to any sort of control besides your own.
You are one. You are your master - one straight answer.
I learned something about life today too!

It's better to take responsibility for your own problems and deal with them rather than put them all on other people.
F
U
C E N S O R S H I P
K
Quote by raincoffin
Yes, it is.
So is leaving your fate, YOUR OWN FUTURE, up to any sort of control besides your own.
You are one. You are your master - one straight answer.

But other people's decisions change everything too, and if that change reaches you, your life and decisions you have to make could be different.
your friend is retarded lol, our destiny is predetermined? then whats the point of living? sheesh...
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
well since you cannot go back in time, yes everything is predetermined. the big bang caused particles and energy to be fired everywhere, which acted on one another forming different things which too acted on one another. i think that if someone could live forever and had unlimited resources then they could eventually determine an equation or something that can predict the future. by me typing this, someone will read it (or not) and then that person will stop and think about how true/false my words are who will then maybe talk to someone else about it or forget it entirely. in either case you will only choose ONE of these decisions and you will never be able to go back.
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Predestination is different from determinism, btw. Predestination implies that a God or other high power decided the fate of the universe. Determinism is the concept that every event is determined by things that came before it (EVERYTHING has a cause and effect)... I can't explain it well.

From wiki:

"Determinism is the view that every event, including human cognition, behavior, decision, and action, is causally determined by an unbroken chain of prior occurrences."

I was essentially feeling that epiphany-like/depression thing when I was reading about it. I felt it was true (And why can't it be? It makes sense.) Nothing is random, everything has a cause.

But I've pretty much accepted it now... I'm fine with the illusion of free will.

Quote by Wesseem
i think that if someone could live forever and had unlimited resources then they could eventually determine an equation or something that can predict the future.

Laplace's Demon

Quote by poopsmith666
your friend is retarded lol, our destiny is predetermined? then whats the point of living? sheesh...

I hate arguing... I really do.

Our fates being predetermined, by a God or any other phenomenon, is no reason to stop living. We can still enjoy life, just as we did before... Although someone can say, "Yeah, I'm happy, but it was all predetermined, so it doesn't matter and life sucks..."

Uh... I don't know where I was going with that. Essentially, the knowledge of determinism shouldn't detract from your will to live
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Sep 2, 2009,
The free-will debate frustrates me, not because I don't know the "answer", but I don't even know what I want to believe. On one hand, it's very comforting to think that "everything happens for a reason" (you know, like high school girls always tell each other whenever one of them breaks up with their boyfriend), but on the other hand it is empowering to think that our actions have such vast significance like described in the OP.
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.”
-Bob Dylan

Quote by Freezer Burn

Congratz on the having the longest wall of text ever!

If you have an epiphany while you are high on anything other that LSD, chances are you're wrong.
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Quote by Shutout

For example, say you are walking down the street, and your shoe is untied. You can either wait and tie it, or go on. Now let's say you stop and tie it, this takes about 5 seconds... you are 5 seconds behind where you could (or should have been) had you kept walking. So as you walk on, you get to a cross walk, a car has just passed through. If you hadn't tied your shoe, this guy would have stopped. His life is now altered because of a minor decision. You guys following this? Isn't this mindblowing.

Been watching a lot of How I Met Your Mother, TS?
Quote by GuitarGod_92
Been watching a lot of How I Met Your Mother, TS?

Negative, but I do watch it occasionally. Hows it relate?
Quote by Shutout
Negative, but I do watch it occasionally. Hows it relate?

The part I quoted was very similar to one of the episodes.
I feel so... insignificant...
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Quote by Red Hot Blink
did you post this on the blink182 site also? either that or someone stole your ephiphany

That was me. And that one was posted first.
Quote by JoshXXXXX
This sounds exactly like chaos theory. Interesting subject.

+1 that's pretty much exactly what it is.

As for the last paragraph, first sentence was fine, you can believe anything you want, but don't call other peoples beliefs foolish... sure there is no evidence to prove the existence of a higher being, but there isn't evidence to prove the non-existence of that being either. I personally believe there isn't a higher being, but it cannot be supported or refuted so calling someone foolish for believing something you don't is very close-minded.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Dude.... what if.. what if like.. we all see colors different from each other? Like my red is different from your red, but we've both been conditioned to call it red... Dude what if my red is like... blue?

High revelations rule.
Epi Les Paul (SD JB and SD Jazz (Both coil-split))
Ibanez RG Prestige (w/ killswitch)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Valveking 112 (w/ Man O War)
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Dunlop allas Arbiter Fuzz Face
BOSS DD-3 Delay
BOSS ML-2 MetalCore Distortion
There is no purpose. Life is just a bunch of animals trying to kill each other.

Its all ripples in the pond.

Flam·boy·ant
French, from participle of flamboyer to flame
1:Characterized by waving curves suggesting flames
2:Marked by or given to strikingly elaborate or colorful display or behavior

Quote by Holy Katana
There's no inherent purpose to life. Instead, one must make his or her own purpose and meaning.

Existentialism FTW.

*fap*

Flam·boy·ant
French, from participle of flamboyer to flame
1:Characterized by waving curves suggesting flames
2:Marked by or given to strikingly elaborate or colorful display or behavior

The think is, you can't change something that hasn't happened yet. So even though doing something effects your life, you would've always done that 'change' and everything that happened because of it would've happened.
Page 1 of 2