Page 1 of 2
What made you pick up the 6 strings?

I'm a white teenage male living in suburban America with a middle class family. It was sorta my destiny.

Whats your story?
I got bored. Why not.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
My mother bought a Beatles record when I was eight. That absolutely blew me away, since until then all I heard was folk and country(This was before people like Brad Paisley who make country guitar interesting). Particularly when I heard the solo to A Hard Day's Night, I wanted to play. I wasn't too serious about it though until I picked up a copy of Appetite For Destruction. I know with Guitar Hero III it sounds cliche, but Slash was what made me want to be a guitarist.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I listened to crazy train and have been playing ever since, i used to listen to pop punk ****, mainstream rock really but then i heard real music for the first time, which was crazy train, and i picked up the guitar that day.
< <
__

> >
__

< <
__

....................................guitar hero
My Gear (prepare to be amazed)

Squire Affinity Strat HSS

Yamaha FD02

Fender Bullet 150 DSP amp
Last edited by UsedGuitar92 at Sep 2, 2009,
Quote by maowcat
I listened to crazy train and have been playing ever since, i used to listen to pop punk ****, mainstream rock really but then i heard real music for the first time, which was crazy train, and i picked up the guitar that day.

My real story has to do with Randy Rhoads too. I like my b/s story though. ha ha.
I grew up envying the country stars who I watched strum away on their guitars. I always had an interest for sure.

Then Guitar Hero came out. That made me think "Ok, this just got cooler." I finally got the game by the time Guitar Hero 3 came around (probably the best installment of the game as far as music goes) and on that game I discovered Stevie Ray Vaughan. I looked him up on YouTube, and a couple months later I was headed home from Kansas City with my grandpa's old Yamaha FG-75 acoustic guitar from the 70's. The rest, as they say, is history, except I'm not very good and need lessons horribly after going for about 3 months and then going the next ~3 years without them.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Sep 2, 2009,
always loved music. went to camp one summer after 8th grade and one of the kids played guitar in their room constantly. blew me away. i had always been a musician (singer, violin, clarinet up until then). after camp ended one of my friends asked if i could sing for a band he was putting together, but i needed to learn some basic guitar first. so here i am. band never went anywhere, im a better guitarist than he is now, and im the frontman for my own band.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
First time I listened to Hotel California when I was 8
Epiphone SG-G400.
Crate Flexwave 15W
Korg Toneworks Modeling Signal Processor AX3G
guitar by far the impact of drumming was too much ive barely picked up a pair of sticks in 3 yrs, altho from time to time i still miss the drumline
it was when i first heard guns n' roses but until i heard kurt cobain play that was it i was like i must play this instrument
In 8th grade, I met a guy who is now my best friend, he played drums, and told me to get a guitar so we could form a band. So I did. No band yet. . . Nearly 6 years later. . .
I made friends with this guy who played guitar & I always wished I could play when I saw him playing, cos he seemed to be enjoying it so much!
So I got a bass, & we jammed & he taught me a few things, we started a band, blah blah blah...
Then I got bored of bass because I didn't know the wonders of people like Victor Wooten, John Myung, Tim Commerford, Flea... Picked up a cheap guitar (which I'm playing right now )
I'm more focused on guitar now, but I'm only in one band, playing bass, we have great fun ^.^
I'm asian. everyone expected me to play the piano. or violin. or cello. But not me... I'm different...

Ok, no, I just liked the guitar/bass better than anything else
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
Quote by Lekz
I'm asian. everyone expected me to play the piano. or violin. or cello. But not me... I'm different...

Yay stereotypes!!
Eddie Van Halen, my weird friend, and Guitar Hero 2.

I've been exposed to a lot of classic hard rock like AC/DC, Van Halen, Ozzy, etc. since i was a kid and one day i was playing guitar hero and was like "Dang.. you know what would be fun? Playing these songs on real guitar."

After that i picked up the cheap Starcaster and SP-10 amp from Costco i had gotten a couple years earlier (because my friend introduced me to basic guitar stuff and i wanted one and got it for Christmas).

So here i am today. I've been playing seriously for about 2 years now, by this October i think.
I started when I saw a guy play in a very serious church service, then literally the next night, lead a campfire sing along. I thought it was awesome how versatile it was, now playing guitar has opened my eyes to the whole world of music
Quote by speeddemon93
I started when I saw a guy play in a very serious church service, then literally the next night, lead a campfire sing along. I thought it was awesome how versatile it was, now playing guitar has opened my eyes to the whole world of music

That's actually really cool. I have a friend, plays guitar in church, some "show me your tits, I'm a cool/sensitive guy" type stuff for the ladies, rock n roll, and some metal. You can do a lot with a guitar.
Quote by zillafan74

I'm a white teenage male living in suburban America with a middle class family. It was sorta my destiny.

This.

But really, I tried being in the school band but it boring and lame so I decided to try playing guitar. It just started picking up from there.

Also, Tom Morello inspired me alot because it amazed me how he could make so many noises from one instrument. Kurt Cobain too.
Last edited by BigRyeguy at Sep 2, 2009,
The first good music I remember hearing was Ozzy. Nothing like Randy. I was amazed. Loved it. I was in my school band in 8th grade and played the french horn, I sucked, but I did learn a lot about music. I had a test, and I had to memorize my scales. I didn't do that. I didn't even bother playing. Me and my teacher sat in the room for a half hour, and listened to Metallica and Pantera. He told me I should try guitar. Soooo, I picked up my friends guitar like a week, he showed me a few things. Now I know my scales, I'm not a band weenie no more, and guitars are cool and versatile for so many genres.

=D
when i was younger i always thought it would be too hard to learn how to play guitar so i never did. but the one thing i think that made actually want to play guitar was after watching Jack White playing Death Letter at the Grammys, i'm pushing 30 now and really just starting to actually "try" to learn it, with 3 kids, wife, and a full time job, it still doesnt come that easy.
my brother got a nylon stirng guitar when he was 4 just because he wanted one. he never played it. but i was still jealous and decided 10 years later to pick it up and learn how to play (pretty lame story)
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
Playing "carmageddon 2" (it's OST was Iron Maiden)
Actually my childhood was very open in musical genres, but metal led me to try for myself.
I was expecting a lot more

"Through Fire and Flames on Expert"

I don't hate the game, but anyone that has the time to master something so pointless, has the time to make real music.
Even if I get flamed, SOAD and nightwish were the bands that made me pickup guitar, I didnt discovered "guitar music" until I was already playing
Quote by zillafan74
I was expecting a lot more

"Through Fire and Flames on Expert"

I don't hate the game, but anyone that has the time to master something so pointless, has the time to make real music.

this...........

nah i suck at guitar hero more than actual guitar lol but it is fun when your wrecked
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Living stone distortion pedal
Digitech RP250
Last edited by dukeofmetal at Sep 2, 2009,
I remember being a kid in my dads car i musta been about 7/8 and he put a tape in the cassette player and it was black sabbath. First time listenin to those solos and deep grungy overdrive i was hook and wanted to do it
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Well, being Asian, my parents asked Piano or Guitar (Not violen because it damages your neck apparently). Now, not wanting to be like everybody else i choose guitar.
needed a guitarist for my band and i was a drummer so i decided to pick up guitar as a side project. now the guitar is my main thing
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Roland Cube 30x
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
LTD Ec-1000
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Cliff Burton made me want to play bass. After realising Bass and all its gear were out of my price range (I was 15 at the time), I bought a real cheap guitar. Never looked back.
Check out my Electronica project!
http://
I asked myself, "how to get the hottest chicks?" and of course the guitar is the answer.
Quote by Sledgeman
I asked myself, "how to get the hottest chicks?" and of course the guitar is the answer.

ha ha true though

I was in the car with my dad when i was 14 and we were listening to guns n roses and then i heard the all thos GNR songs and solos but what really made me say whoa i wanna do this is when i heard the outro solo to nightrain...2 minutes of pure guitar exstacy! so i told my dad i wanted to learn we went to guitar center and i got my black fender american hss strat(now my frankenstrat) and my Line 6 spider III.
Guitars
Gibson Les Paul Studio Alpine white
Agile Al-2000 59' LP
Fender Frankenstrat
Amps
Line 6 Spider III 75
Effects
Dunlop Slash SW-95 Wah
Digitech Grunge pedal
My friend got one, so I played it anytime I was over his house because I thought it was cool lol.
Gallien Krueger is awesome
Page 1 of 2