EDIT: Does anyone know a nice website where i can get a big black backdrop
with a basic white logo on it for cheap?
Last edited by ShestShestShest at Sep 3, 2009,
Ok so a banner.. where can i order a cheap one that's just like plain black with a band logo in the center cause from what i see most backdrops are 300$+ and they expect you to order a full portrait backdrop not just a plain piece of fabric with a small graphic in the middle.
whenever me and some friends of mien have gigs, we go to an op-shop. Get a big bed sheet (no elastic) make a stencil. Then go to this place called olive grove where they have silk screens and inks they let us use.

usually we use an A3 or A2 piece of paper for each letter, then print them smack bang in the middle or toward the bottom right.

all up= about 50-75 bucks
banners.

check out http://. they mainly do racing canopies, but can easily do banners, i think.
Call me Michael...

Mixing
Need something mixed? Send me a PM with the details! Cheap rates, fast turnaround, satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
Quote by ShestShestShest
Just a quick question.
What's the name for those fabric backdrops that bands have at shows? They are like quilts or something, i'm pretty sure there's a special name for them?.
and where can i order a custom one with my band's logo on it?

I've always just called it a 'backdrop'

Make your own, it's easy, buy some canvas, preferably black, (you may have to sew two lengths together along their sides if you can't buy a wide piece) use 'tailor's chalk' to draw out your design, mask it of with 'masking tape and newspaper' making sire that the tape is well stick down, then use white household emulsion paint on it. Many people prefer a black and white backdrop because it stands out with all the coloured lights on a stage, but if you want to add colour, undercoat an colour sections with white first.
It'll stiffen up a bit using household paint but it'll still roll up (don't fold it)

To get one custom made, it could cost you quite a lot of money.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
I've always just called it a 'backdrop'

Make your own, it's easy, buy some canvas, preferably black, (you may have to sew two lengths together along their sides if you can't buy a wide piece) use 'tailor's chalk' to draw out your design, mask it of with 'masking tape and newspaper' making sire that the tape is well stick down, then use white household emulsion paint on it. Many people prefer a black and white backdrop because it stands out with all the coloured lights on a stage, but if you want to add colour, undercoat an colour sections with white first.
It'll stiffen up a bit using household paint but it'll still roll up (don't fold it)

To get one custom made, it could cost you quite a lot of money.

It would be pretty difficult to hand draw the logo.
Quote by ShestShestShest
That gives me an idea. Maybe i'll use a projector so i can just trace that.

Oh definately, it's even easier if you can lay your hands on a projector.

Or, here's another idea, if you own a projector, why not just have a white sheet and project your backdrop on stage? You can even change the design during the gig too.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Sep 2, 2009,
My drummer knows a guy that made us a simple white on black banner for a case of beer. But that only cause we know a guy, something simple like white on black can't be too expensive though.
The best backdrop material is felt. Its dirt cheap at fabric stores. Anything with a high thread count is going to get shiny in stage lights. One of the Band's that I've opened for uses a 12' X 12' banner of Black Felt that they spray painted thier logo on. They used a computer to print out three tranperancies for thier logo, and then used the projector trick and chalk, (as sudgested in the threads above) to do thier logo. Cost them 50 bucks all in all.

UG has this thread on lock down. Everything that they said, has been done, there's no better proof than this picture. We opened for Bugota. That banner is suspended on a metal rod between two light poles. Pretty simple design actually.

1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by ShestShestShest
Well i don't own a projector and moving around on stage would interrupt the image.

Yeah, it'd shake like there's an earthquake. Possibly not a bad thing.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Yeah, it'd shake like there's an earthquake. Possibly not a bad thing.

Well I mean't like moving between the light and the wall interrupting the projection but ok.

Anyway, yeah i tried some basic fabric work today and that is out of my reach.

So does anyone know a nice website where i can get a big black backdrop
with a basic white logo on it for cheap?
Slack.... you came back!! We missed you!

We got ours done by a vinyl printing company. I think it's 4ft x 12 ft and it cost us about $50 or so.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris

We got ours done by a vinyl printing company. I think it's 4ft x 12 ft and it cost us about $50 or so.

CT

That's pretty nice. Some guy was saying that felt is the best material to get the banner in though.

Why did you choose vinyl?
Quote by axemanchris

I never went away, I just lurk more now.
Most of the stuff on here is repeated questions really and you can only make the same points so many times, but I'm still around.