some time between now and the end of the year I plan o buying either an Ibanez Xiphos XPT700 or a Jackson Kelly KE3 pro red swirl before anyone says anything I will be replacing my amp before I get the guitar most likely with a Roland Cube 30x also I'm going to be letting my cousin borrowing my legacy strat and amp because now he wants to start learning and I like having two guitars around one for standard and one for Drop D. Both guitars are $1299 AUD but the guy said he would go $1200 and I think I could bargain a bit more both guitars have there pros and cons but I really cant decide. I played both unplugged but haven't tried them plugged in yet but Ill be going back a few times before I make my decision. I like the feel, shape and appearance of both guitars but they do have their differences the Xiphos is neck through and has really good upper fret access which is very good for me since my hand doesn't fit in the cut away of some guitars and it has an inverted headstock which I know doesn't mean much but I like it. The Kelly is bolt on with an alder body so Its a bit lighter but weight isn't really an issue for me it doesn't have that good fret access but I think the body shape in the long run would hold up better since the less pointy parts. As for trems I've heard Jackson's licensed trems are good quality but the edge 3s are usally crap but Ive also heard if taken care of can still be very good. Pick up wise I like what they both have but still need to play them through an amp. So my question to you guys is what would you do I really wanna know which one will be better in the long run and that sorta thing
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Living stone distortion pedal
Digitech RP250
take the 1200 you're going to spend on the guitar and buy a better amp than a cube just my advice, what guitar do you have now? as long as it isn't floyd rose it should literally take one second to tune to drop d.

from the guitars i assume you play metal. look into a used peavy 6505 or a marshall dsl/tsl. depending on the voicing you're going for.

Edit: I say this only as it will lead to the most improvement in your sound. It's entirely up to you
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Last edited by R.D at Sep 2, 2009,
well my guitar does have a floyd but all the guitar shops I go to amps are really over priced compared to the guitars a Marshall valvstate 50w goes for between 8-900 AUD which is a rip and Ive never seen a peavy and i wouldn't buy with out trying. I dont wanna order in because of shipping and that and I don't exactly need a monster amp since I just play at home or a mates house sometimes but if I could find a decent valve combo for cheap I would look into it
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Digitech RP250
I needs a trem though I like to overcompensate for my suckyness by doing dive bombs......
but seriously I prefer having a trem does anyone know if the Edge 3 can be good if taken care of properly???
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Digitech RP250
oh yeah it the xiphos has Dactivators and the kelly has a jazz and jb if that makes a diffrence
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Digitech RP250
Personally I'd take the kelly any day of the week. When I tried that Xiphos I was so excited then I was fed up with it after about 2 minutes of playing. Granted it has amazing fret access, 24 feels like 15. But for the amount of time I spend playing past th 20th fret it's not worth sacrificing everything for some better fret access. Granted, I don't know how you play but IMO the KE3 wins hands down ... plus crimson swirl is just the secks.
The Xiphos is a Jackson Warrior copy. I would go for the Kelly. Mid-range Japanese Jacksons are amoung the best guitars you can get for that price range....and the crimson swirl is nasty.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
IMO, I'd go for the Kelly. Nothing looks better then a Jackson Kelly.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
ok thanks for the advice guys next time I go back Ill try them both out again but now I'm leaning towards the kelly
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Digitech RP250
think i prefer the Xiphos,still meaning to get one. Pretty cheap over here

believe its an edge 3 on my rg350 and its held up fantastically,unless you unwittingly take it to pieces and try to put it back together youll be fine
Quote by Richmanofaction
The Xiphos is a Jackson Warrior copy.

And the Jackson Warrior is a copy of the B.C. Rich Stealth whats your point?

Anyway to OP, I found that the Kelly is kinda hard to play since. I probably didnt have enough time to get used to it. To me the Xiphos feels like the fret board is sticky. Bit Od probably pick the Xiphos over the Kelly. But personally, I think a Gibson Explorer feels nicer than either option.
well around here Explorers start at 2k and the Epiphone ones don't seem worth it to me
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Digitech RP250
Quote by dukeofmetal
well around here Explorers start at 2k and the Epiphone ones don't seem worth it to me

Have you tried any mom and pop places? Another good one to look for is a V if you have bigger hands.
yea I tried some Vs as well and I couldn't get use to it sitting down the X shapes Just seem more natural to me
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Digitech RP250
and the only family owned place I know only has Cort a few Ltds a few Epis and a BC Rich but there is a place Ive seen but not gone in yet I will check that place out see what they got

EDIT: and the only family owned place I know only has Cort a few Ltds a few Epis and a BC Rich but there is a place Ive seen but not gone in yet I will check that place out see what they got
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Digitech RP250
Last edited by dukeofmetal at Sep 2, 2009,