I think everyone here remembers Mr. DeVries, our second favourite luthier (behind the one and only Ed Roman, of course). Well, I just got a reply from the one and only on Myspace, and were wondering how UG would like to reply. Here's what he had to say:

Quote by Eric

have more time to reply now...u say u can actually tell a good guitar..lets test.

what timbers used
what pick up used
how thick fingerboard
what brand of trem
the special feature of trem
whats the main feature of the guitar that makes it different(no other guitar is built like this)
the scale length
what timber is the board

show me how much u know...

by the way..tell me how routing and finish has any bearing on the sound?

i do do shop quailty, but the thing is..the tight arses like you arent willing to pay for the extra labour and lastly...what ever guitar u use or think is good..i can guarentee it will not sound as good as the undead for what it was made for..which leads to the name of the guitar

"undead" with a name like that why would i want to make it look all beautiful and pretty?

So, UG, how should I reply to the delightful Mr. DeVries?
Last edited by SonOfSanguinus at Sep 2, 2009,
=d

Flam·boy·ant
French, from participle of flamboyer to flame
1:Characterized by waving curves suggesting flames
2:Marked by or given to strikingly elaborate or colorful display or behavior

idungeddit
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Sounds like you started and "E-fight" thinking you know everything, he made you his bitch and you are coming to UG to save your ass... you sir are an idiot, and this was in no way interesting...
Who's DeVries??
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Quote by BlisteringDDj
Who's DeVries??

This

Edit: aaah, now I know.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Sep 2, 2009,
Hmm, looks like this luither has all the symptoms of the "I'm s0 Bruutalzs, /m\etal 4 l1fe" syndrome.
SHREDIT: Actually TS it's you who's being a bit of a dick, I judged the guy to harshly simply based on the fact he was into metal
MAORSHREDITSZ: Actually sorry TS, I looked at the situation again and yeah, the luithier IS a dick/scenekid
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
shred knows more about everything than anyone i think

Quote by IchiKurosaki
i hope we never meet shjred honestly i love you but im scared of you
Last edited by Shredoftheday at Sep 2, 2009,
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

so he is like the willy wonka of guitars?

Flam·boy·ant
French, from participle of flamboyer to flame
1:Characterized by waving curves suggesting flames
2:Marked by or given to strikingly elaborate or colorful display or behavior

Quote by Diet_coke_head
Sounds like you started and "E-fight" thinking you know everything, he made you his bitch and you are coming to UG to save your ass... you sir are an idiot, and this was in no way interesting...

^This. Really, you went to a luthier with you E-PEEN knowledge of good guitar construction, and had the dillusion you would win??? And now, you're asking everyone here as a "joke" to try to insult him, all the while actually looking for someone to give an intelligent response you can use, while also thinking we're too stupid to see through your bull****???

<<<<<<<There's the door, GTFO

EDIT: Upon further research, I think I owe someone an apology.... Seem like DeVries is a croc of ****... but I put some thought into my post, so I'll let it stay : ?
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Last edited by Shirate at Sep 2, 2009,
Is this the luthier whose guitar's terrible quality featured in a few youtube videos, with the whole 'pick in between neck & body' thing?
more sig required.
Did anybody else read that entire thing with Chimaira in mind?
Quote by Diet_coke_head

lolol, not quite

Eric DeVries makes "high quality" (aka the worst) custom guitars. There used to be a series of youtube vids of a shop that ordered one of his guitars and recieved a hunk of poorly carved wood with pickups and a chinese ebay neck put on. He's also a complete ass to anyone who questions his guitar making skills.

here's some of his Über kVlt work

link to old thread about his guitars

his myspace pics

TS: No idea what you should actually say as it is 3 am here and I'm about to pass out
Quote by synestershadows
Shai Hulud mother****er.
Quote by DartS17
lolol, not quite

Eric DeVries makes "high quality" (aka the worst) custom guitars. There used to be a series of youtube vids of a shop that ordered one of his guitars and recieved a hunk of poorly carved wood with pickups and a chinese ebay neck put on. He's also a complete ass to anyone who questions his guitar making skills.

here's some of his Über kVlt work

link to old thread about his guitars

his myspace pics

TS: No idea what you should actually say as it is 3 am here and I'm about to pass out

Narcissist.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Last edited by BlisteringDDj at Sep 2, 2009,
*pic*
Oh god *pukes*
Show him all the threads on U.G that lulz at him and further lulz will ensure
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki

Quote by IchiKurosaki
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
and to some of you; I actually have quite a few things I would like to say to DeVries, I was just wondering if you would like some input to the final e-mail

I would love to see him walk through compton on a dark, lonely night, and get gang raped by... well, you get the idea. This scam artist needs to be castrated
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
My original comment was this:

Quote by Me
Well, this looks quite poorly done, and amateuristic. The intonation looks off, and the routing is untidy at best. Was that finish done with a sharpie?

Hope you can take this into mind for the future,

all the best,
Ben

to this:

...Wow

I wouldn't say this about many luthiers but I think even I could do better. I've actually seen guitars 'finished' with some markers that looked an awful lot better! 'Evil is here' lol what a sad attempt...
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

to this:

br00tal kvllt ANARCHY FK DA SYSTEM

What a nob. I could probably shit out a better instrument than that. Hell, Squier do that all the time.*

*That's a joke, I'm just picking on the beginner guitar makers because I'm an asshole.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

to this:

What the eff is up with the end of the fret board?? That is a piece of shit
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Ok, I think you're an asshole for starting an argument, but DeVries seems like a bigger asshole, so here's a smart-ass reply:

-------------------------
Dear Mr. DeVries,

The timber used for the body looks a bit like alder, despite the wavy grain. I don't know why you'd be concerned about the thickness of the fretboard, since you probably took that neck off of a cheap chinese guitar, along with the imitation-EMG pickup and floyd rose trem. Is the trem one of your famous "Rhythm in jump, dancing close to you" models?
It seems like you glued strips of wood to either side of the central part of the body purely for aesthetic reasons, as the plank you were cutting it from wasn't wide enough. It seems that many of your guitars employ this technique. I'm not sure what difference this makes tonally, as the small glued-on parts have a very small mass compared to the rest of the body, but then again I don't build guitars, so how would I know?
I don't understand why the last few frets are covered in duct tape. Were you trying to simulate a fretless area?
The colour of the fretboard suggests ebony, but it's texture suggests rosewood. This leads me to believe that it's probably something like beech that's been dyed black.
The amount of routing done on this guitar doesn't have much of an effect on the sound, but it's the quality of the routing that concerns me. It seems that you free-handed the pickup and tremolo cavities, which leads me to believe that you may have done the same for the neck pocket, potentially leading to instability, a crooked angle and intonation problems.
Thick polyester finishes can have detrimental effects on the guitar's resonance. This is the reason some manufacturers prefer oil finishes, thin coats polyurethane or nitrocellulose, and don't paint the neck pocket or the electronics cavities. I see you've gone for the natural look and left the guitar without a finish. While I understand your logic, this leaves the wood unprotected. It will get dirty quickly, it could potentially rot depending on how well it's been dried, and it will absorb beer spilt on it.

Of course, I don't know much about building guitars, but I know a good guitar when I see one.
Quote by sashki
Ok, I think you're an asshole for starting an argument, but DeVries seems like a bigger asshole, so here's a smart-ass reply:

-------------------------
Dear Mr. DeVries,

The timber used for the body looks a bit like alder, despite the wavy grain. I don't know why you'd be concerned about the thickness of the fretboard, since you probably took that neck off of a cheap chinese guitar, along with the imitation-EMG pickup and floyd rose trem. Is the trem one of your famous "Rhythm in jump, dancing close to you" models?
It seems like you glued strips of wood to either side of the central part of the body purely for aesthetic reasons, as the plank you were cutting it from wasn't wide enough. It seems that many of your guitars employ this technique. I'm not sure what difference this makes tonally, as the small glued-on parts have a very small mass compared to the rest of the body, but then again I don't build guitars, so how would I know?
I don't understand why the last few frets are covered in duct tape. Were you trying to simulate a fretless area?
The colour of the fretboard suggests ebony, but it's texture suggests rosewood. This leads me to believe that it's probably something like beech that's been dyed black.
The amount of routing done on this guitar doesn't have much of an effect on the sound, but it's the quality of the routing that concerns me. It seems that you free-handed the pickup and tremolo cavities, which leads me to believe that you may have done the same for the neck pocket, potentially leading to instability, a crooked angle and intonation problems.
Thick polyester finishes can have detrimental effects on the guitar's resonance. This is the reason some manufacturers prefer oil finishes, thin coats polyurethane or nitrocellulose, and don't paint the neck pocket or the electronics cavities. I see you've gone for the natural look and left the guitar without a finish. While I understand your logic, this leaves the wood unprotected. It will get dirty quickly, it could potentially rot depending on how well it's been dried, and it will absorb beer spilt on it.

Of course, I don't know much about building guitars, but I know a good guitar when I see one.

Jeez don't you get it? It's suppose to be raw and brutals leik that!
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki

Quote by IchiKurosaki
Just out of interest, how much is this guy selling those guitars for? Well, OFFERING those guitars for, as I really don't think that any sensible person would consider buying such a horrible quality item.
wtf is up the end of the fret board?? is that tape?? or really thick paint?
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
I think we should go to GB&C and get an intelligent response, then see what sort of idiocy he replies with.
Quote by Diet_coke_head

DeVries can't make anyone his bitch. He's an embarrassment to all luthiers.

I didn't know he was known on UG, too. I've only heard about him on Sevenstring.org.
In all fairness, there is a positive side to his 'work'..

He's seriously made me consider building my own guitar, since I can't really do any worse than he did..
Quote by Sir Anonymous
I think we should go to GB&C and get an intelligent response, then see what sort of idiocy he replies with.

I tried posting this in the GB&C forum, but according to
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
TS, don't bring your issues from myspace and other forums here.

UG does not care about what goes on between you and others outside of UG.
Don't clutter our forum with this garbage.

*reported*

meh