Hey im planning on getting 450watt speakers and how much wattage should i have on the head? i know that i should have 450 to reach its max, but i couldnt find a 450 watt amp, but would a 150watt head be good? guys please leave reccamendations try not to blow past 500
You shouldn't be looking at the wattage first. You should try to get a good amp (and a good cab). As long as you're loud enough to go over drums (~30 watts tube) the amp quality matters more than the wattage, IMO.

Now, I take it your budget is 500 (dollars?). What do you play? What kind of a tone are you looking for? Are you willing to go used? What cab is it you're getting?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
You don't need to have a 450 watt head for a 450 watt cabinet.You actully want it mismatched a little.You see,amps are rated RMS.This is the wattage the amp is using before it distorts.Once it distorts it uses more.So my tube amp is rated 50 watts RMS,but it has a peak wattage of 180 watts.So you want a cabinet with more watts than the head does to handle the peak wattage,should you go near there.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by Ian hawkins
You don't need to have a 450 watt head for a 450 watt cabinet.You actully want it mismatched a little.You see,amps are rated RMS.This is the wattage the amp is using before it distorts.Once it distorts it uses more.So my tube amp is rated 50 watts RMS,but it has a peak wattage of 180 watts.So you want a cabinet with more watts than the head does to handle the peak wattage,should you go near there.

50 watt amp having 180 peak wattage? You sure about that? You sure it isn't just the input wattage? A lot of that turns into heat so it's not the same as the peak wattage.

Also, speaker makers aren't dumb, they design their speakers so that when an amp says it puts out 50 watts, a speaker rated for 50 watts can take that (as in, it can more than 50 watts).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.