I have a new MIM Fender Deluxe Active Jazz bass. For an active bass, I find the output very weak. My Ibanez SRX590 (also active) sounds 10 times louder.

Is there anything that can be done to crank up the output of my Jazz bass? New active electronics, pickups, ... ?
And yes, there's a new battery in it, so that's not the problem!
I know you said you've put a new battery in it, but do the 'tongue test' just to be sure it works. Apart from that, try raising the pickup height. I dunno what else to suggest.
yeah pickup height. I have the mim active p bass and I need to up the onboard preamp quite a bit as well to keep up with my sr volume wise.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
OK, raising the PU's. I'll try that, I've never done that before. I assume not to raise them to much?

Quote by gilly_90
yeah pickup height. I have the mim active p bass and I need to up the onboard preamp quite a bit as well to keep up with my sr volume wise.

Gilly_90, how high did you raise yours?
Quote by BassRookie
OK, raising the PU's. I'll try that, I've never done that before. I assume not to raise them to much?

Gilly_90, how high did you raise yours?

Yeah not much at all.

I'm not sure 1mm maybe 2? somethung like that. Just raise it a little bit them try it. Do that a couple of times. You'll know if it is too high.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You do know the tongue test can kill people?

I know, but that's the fun of it.
Quote by gilly_90
Yeah not much at all.

I'm not sure 1mm maybe 2? somethung like that. Just raise it a little bit them try it. Do that a couple of times. You'll know if it is too high.

OK, thanks! I'll try that this evening.
For whatever reason, I find Fender active basses to have quite a low output (except for the USDX which has an 18v preamp). I know mine does and I haven't really found a solution for it yet. I do know that raising the pickups didn't really help with mine. Your best bet to make it louder would be to replace the preamp, especially if you put in an 18v, but I would try raising the pickups first. Either that or just adjust the volume on your amp/Ibanez to even out the volume levels.
^one could always just do an 18 volt mod, far cheaper than dropping 150 on a new preamp.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Raising the PU's helped a little, but not an awful lot.

The 18 mod, will this harm the PU's or electronics? And also, I doubt that 2 9 volt batteries will fit.
Quote by BassRookie
Raising the PU's helped a little, but not an awful lot.

The 18 mod, will this harm the PU's or electronics? And also, I doubt that 2 9 volt batteries will fit.

no, it's almost a standard mod among EMG using guitarists. there is a great 18v mod thread on the subject. look it up I'd say.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom