My high E string broke today, and I just have a couple of questions.

1) Why did it break?
My guitar was tuned around a quater step sharp and my string were a little bit old and beginning to wear. I only bent around half a step and it snapped. Was it a combination of all these things?

2)How long to string take to change on a guitar with a normal tremolo system (Non-floyd rose)?
I'm not sure what exact system I have, but my guitar is a Squier Classic Vibe. It says Fender Stratocaster on the back as well. What is a good video that shows how to change strings?

3) I like the gauge of strings I have now, byut i'm not sure what they are, so do you think that if I brought my guitar into the store I bought it from, they would be able to tell me what gauge the string are?

4) Will changing strings mess up my intonation?

5) What are some good brands of strings? I mainly play rock and metal if that makes any difference.
1. Its perfectly normal and bound to happen sometime, and factory strings arent always the best.

2. if you just change the high e string i dont know maybe 2-3 minutes or less, if you replace all the strings maybe 15minutes.

3. Yeah they should be able to and im pretty sure but not 100% that squires normalls have 9's stock but they should be able to give you a pretty good guess at guitar center.

4. It shouldnt but you might have to re adjust it just a little bit.

5. I would say either Cleartone heavy gauges or the Ernie ball not even slinky set is perfect for metal.
Guitars
Gibson Les Paul Studio Alpine white
Agile Al-2000 59' LP
Fender Frankenstrat
Amps
Line 6 Spider III 75
Effects
Dunlop Slash SW-95 Wah
Digitech Grunge pedal
1. Yeah, probably a combination of these things, the E string tends to break more cause its the thinnest as well, why were you tuning sharp though? Standards fine
2. To change them all maybe about 15 minutes or less, when you get experienced.
3.Yeah they can, although I'm guessing your gauge will either be .009 or .010 as these are the most common, at the shop just ask "for a pack 0f 9's" etc
4. Changing strings shouldn't mess up your intonation, it might change a little bit but you won't notice it
5.D'addario are pretty good, you can get three packs for £10 from www.guitarbitz.co.uk, but cheaper brands are out there. A set lasts me about three months though, so good value

Hope that helps,
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by turtlewax
1. Yeah, probably a combination of these things, the E string tends to break more cause its the thinnest as well, why were you tuning sharp though? Standards fine
2. To change them all maybe about 15 minutes or less, when you get experienced.
3.Yeah they can, although I'm guessing your gauge will either be .009 or .010 as these are the most common, at the shop just ask "for a pack 0f 9's" etc
4. Changing strings shouldn't mess up your intonation, it might change a little bit but you won't notice it
5.D'addario are pretty good, you can get three packs for £10 from www.guitarbitz.co.uk, but cheaper brands are out there. A set lasts me about three months though, so good value

Hope that helps,

I was messing around with the tremolo bar for a few days and I didnt tune at all in that time. I didn't even know I was sharp.

Thanks for all the help so far.
Any good videos about changing electric guitar strings?
1) Old strings tuned sharp is probably why
2) 15-30 minutes to restring, stretch and check the intonation
3) Probably 9's
4) Shouldn't mess it up too much but setting the intonation should be part of the changing strings process
5) D'addario, ernie balls

you tube or google it and you should find a bunch of videos that show you how to set up your guitar
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Last edited by Bendybaws at Sep 2, 2009,
Your tremolo will affect your tuning, unless it's a floating trem or a locking one (like a Floyd Rose). That said, my guitar has the same trem system as yours, and I whammy a LOT and it honestly doesn't seem affected too much.

Justin Guitar (google) has a v comprehensive video to string changes.
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Just because you Seymour Duncan, doesn't mean you Seymour Dunshould
Last edited by MacMan2001 at Sep 2, 2009,
Quote by MacMan2001
Your tremolo will affect your tuning, unless it's a floating trem or a locking one (like a Floyd Rose). That said, my guitar has the same trem system as yours, and I whammy a LOT and it honestly doesn't seem affected too much.

Justin Guitar (google) has a v comprehensive video to string changes.

Thanks.

My tuning stability is usually pretty good, but after 3 days of heavy whammying and no tuning it goes off.
Last edited by GoldfishMoon at Sep 2, 2009,