My coworkers got me a PS3 and a few games a while back (they are all gamers and wanted me to conform I guess ) and all it does is gather dust. I am a newb and I currently have one guitar, a Fender Telecaster Standard, and thought that getting rid of the PS3 on Craigslist would be a great way to get a second guitar. So I offered to sell the system and the games or to trade them for an electric guitar. Some of the offers were pure junk, but two of them peaked my interest.

1. Epiphone 62' Reissue SG with Gibson Humbuckers....he would also throw in an amp but didn't say type/brand/etc....
(Invalid img)

2. Fender Stratocaster (not Squire) with Sustain pickup....
(Invalid img)

My first instinct if to jump at the Fender, but being a newbie I don't know if there is something about Epiphone that would make me want to trade for that instead. Like I said, I am just starting out (learning my blues scales now) but really want to learn more jazz and blues and maybe some folk.

Based on this, which would you get?
Last edited by scopaeniform at Sep 2, 2009,
First off, do you have an amp you're happy with? If you don't then it's a better purchase than a second guitar.

Personally, I'd say the Strat. Just because I have a thing for strats and the sustain pickup sounds interesting. Your choice though.
If you dont have a good amp then go for a decent amp first

thats where most of your tone comes from

but if you do have a good amp then get the strat,the sustainer will help with your blues playing and your jazz playing (alot longer notes)
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
Damn that's a hard choice. They'd both have awesome clean tone, but the SG would be a lot thicker sounding (I think).

Ok two things to check out: What type of amp with the Epi, and what exactly does he mean by sustain pickup on the Fender. That info should help your choice a bit more.
Also find out if it's a true Fender or a Squier. MIM or MIA and all. I agree on the amp as well.
Quote by Flipaningage
play the PS3!

+1 its not an xbox but still..

Don't kill me EG
Quote by Lollage123
+1 its not an xbox but still..

Don't kill me EG

i know, its better
Even though I like strats, I'd still say the Epiphone. The tones the strat would provide you with would be fairly similar to the tele tones. However, the epiphone would sound alot different and give you loads of different tones.

The thing about the sustainer helping you play is rubbish, if anything it would be bad for your learning as you would become dependant on the guitar doing things for you. I'd stay away from the sustainer if I were you (at least, until your of a standard where you can use it instead of relying on it)

I don't know what quality the epiphone is (is it a really cheap one?) but if it is comparable to the fender, I'd take it straight away. The neck humbucker will be great for jazz too.
If it's Jazz and Blues you like, then I'd consider the Fender - whether it's MIA or MIM it's still going to be better value than the Epiphone, and it'll suit your styles of playing far better.
Wow, seems pretty split. I guess either one could work and either one could work as well as the next. I am a novice guitarist so I guess I am like a fat guy on a bicycle. He is going to have about the same speed and skill on a $400 road bike as a $4000 road bike...

I have a Line-6 Spider IV amp right now. It is only 15 watts (just playing in my aparment so plenty loud for me). It is the first amp I have actually worked with so I don't have a lot to compare it to but it is getting the job done. I am sure I will upgrade in the next year or so...but I have a long way to go before I am showing anything off to anyone except my wife and daughter.
since you are just fooling around, the bad amp doesnt make that much of a difference (other than personal satisfaction). That being said, you could sell the current amp and buy a nicer amp (Peavey Vypyr, or 1-5w tube amp). I hate epiphone electrics, would never recommend one. Go with the Strat. But maybe you would look into a hollowbody or semi hollow? Great for jazz and some blues. Ibanez makes relatively cheap but decent hollowbodies.
FS LTD EC-50 with GFS PowerRails Bridge pickup
Well the strat will probably get you the blues/jazz tone you want and even if it's just a MIM it would be about equal value of the PS3, but with that said find out what kind of amp the dude is giving you with the sg, if its just an epiphone practice amp then I would suggest the strat because you have a fairly decent amp right now, especially since you're still just learning. You must have some pretty damn good friends to buy you a PS3 though
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by BigRyeguy
What kind of dick sell a gift from their friends? Neither.

coworkers he never said friends. tho i wonder why they would get you a PS3 if you guys werent close.

i didnt try the spider 4 yet but they apparently are as bad as the 3. but starting out their fine. Personally i sell the telecaster and sell the PS3 and with the money get something even better.
Quote by BigRyeguy
What kind of dick sell a gift from their friends? Neither.

Sorry but this is sort of my thinking, but less upfront, offensive and more thought provoking.
If you have co-workers, can't you just save up some paychecks rather than pawning a gift? Patience, for the Jedi it is time to eat as well, Hmm? hehehe
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
1. People who sell gifts are jackasses. Go watch the regifting episode of Seinfeld(The Label Maker, season 6, episode 12, episode 98 in the entire series) until you feel bad, then some more until you can laugh at it again, then abandon this mindset.
2. If I had to pick I'd go with the strat. I love a good strat, and I love sustainer pickups.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Strats and teles can give out the same tones, so If you already have a fender tele then go for the epiphone, it might give you a few more options in sound. But if the tele is only a 'squire' then go for the strat
^I agree with this guy.

And there is no reason not to sell a gift , IMO. If you didn't ask for it and you're not using it at all, wouldn't their money be better soent on something you will enjoy and use very often?
Quote by supergerbil
^I agree with this guy.

And there is no reason not to sell a gift , IMO. If you didn't ask for it and you're not using it at all, wouldn't their money be better soent on something you will enjoy and use very often?

So you can play the new Uncharted game.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
The Epiphone SG for sure. An Epi SG with Gibby pups will sound pretty dam good. Do you know what type of Gibby pups it has? I have never been into video games so trading a PS3 for a guitar would be no problem.

Of course I never liked any Strat I have ever tried so to me there would be no real choice.

I didn't see what type of amp you have but I am not one to say get an amp first. I prefer to have the guitar I like and then find an amp I am happy with that works well with the guitar I have.

John