I tried googleing it but no joy there - to my surprise.

Any ideas? I will be buying some shizz from musicians friend soon and i have set a limit of sorts of what I am gonna get apart from the stuff that I need.

In my want to find a pick the feels 'right' for rhythm and lead work (the closest i have come to both has been a sharks fin) I want to buy 4 sets of picks to test - 2 for rhythm and 2 for lead.

For the lead try i am thinking of trying Dunlop Ultex Sharp in 1mill and Dunlop Tortex Pitch Black Jazz Guitar Picks 1 Dozen in 60 mill. - any comments?

As for the rhythm??? Please advise!!!!

I am not really expecting to find the pick the i will love for ever from what i am buying - just one that I like more than my current selection - Which BTW sucks!

Yano

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
I use .88 mm slightly flexible for both lead and rhythm.

There is no right answer to your question, it's about what feels right for you
Quote by IYanoplathizoI
I tried googleing it but no joy there - to my surprise.

Any ideas? I will be buying some shizz from musicians friend soon and i have set a limit of sorts of what I am gonna get apart from the stuff that I need.

In my want to find a pick the feels 'right' for rhythm and lead work (the closest i have come to both has been a sharks fin) I want to buy 4 sets of picks to test - 2 for rhythm and 2 for lead.

For the lead try i am thinking of trying Dunlop Ultex Sharp in 1mill and Dunlop Tortex Pitch Black Jazz Guitar Picks 1 Dozen in 60 mill. - any comments?

As for the rhythm??? Please advise!!!!

I am not really expecting to find the pick the i will love for ever from what i am buying - just one that I like more than my current selection - Which BTW sucks!

Yano

http://dugainpicks.com/stone.html

The hematite one is the best for that.

http://dugainpicks.com/various.html
The glass one is great but not as "heavy metal" as the hematite one.

I have the hematite one, I would strongly advise it for your style.
Apple Macintosh

Fender Stratocaster Highway one HSS USA

Marshall DSL50 British green
Quote by LegsOnEarth
Because colour definitely dictates how well you play rhythm..

Plectrums that bend suck for heavy metal

Jazz? Heavy metal? They don't even sound anywhere near each other so don't get a jazz pick!

Those that I told you about are best.
Apple Macintosh

whichever one you like, personally, I use tortex 1.0mm

EDIT: ^^ oh god... Jazz picks are good for any genre, not just Jazz. Picks are personal preference, Jazz IIIs and Dunlop Tortex are the most popular ones, see which thickness you prefer and go with that.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by Zoso1994 at Sep 2, 2009,
Quote by Macintoshmaster
Plectrums that bend suck for heavy metal

Jazz? Heavy metal? They don't even sound anywhere near each other so don't get a jazz pick!

Those that I told you about are best.

That fail is soo sig-worthy, but I'll let it slide. You can thank my laziness.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Jazz 3 picks are the best for genres that need clarity, such as every genre except noise metal. i prefer the red XL ones because the sound a bit 'crisper' than the black ones, aswell as being a bit bigger so theres space to hold onto it.

Machintoshmaster needs to be banned, he's clearly a 10year old/ failing troll - look at all of his posts

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by LegsOnEarth
Because colour definitely dictates how well you play rhythm..

The red and black differ - go look.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Ok. Ill order some tortex 1mm - a dozen so they can be my lieabout the house to be handy picks if i dont like them.

Also - are big stubbies strictly bass picks?

Certified lurker
Quote by IYanoplathizoI
Ok. Ill order some tortex 1mm - a dozen so they can be my lieabout the house to be handy picks if i dont like them.

or Jazz III's. Tons of famous shredders/metal guitarists use them because they're really good. The only downside for me is that they're really ****ing small, so I always lose them. It's only like $2.50 for a 6-pack I believe? They are 1.34mm on the package that I received in the mail a month or two ago.

I personally use the .60 mm Orange Tortex picks. They are good for shredding, and I can still chug with them...but that may be me. I'm able to get thrash metal like rhythms and Paul Gilbert or Satch - like leads, without any problem.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Last edited by Junnage at Sep 2, 2009,
Quote by metallicafan616

Machintoshmaster needs to be banned, he's clearly a 10year old/ failing troll - look at all of his posts

1. I am 14 actually

2. I have done nothing wrong i.e can't get banned.

3. you on the other hand can stop being nasty and help this dude find a pick.
Apple Macintosh

Mac, problem with you is that you don't know what you're talking about. Almost all of your posts which I read were horrible, including your second post in this thread.

That the Duncan Jazz III has the word Jazz in it's name doesn't mean it's limited to that genre. These picks are pretty popular among guitarists of many different styles, including metal. They don't bend much either, as they're pretty thick.

To the threadstarter: If at all possible, go to a music store near you. Take ten bucks, or maybe twenty and buy lots of different picks. One of each model, or however many you want. Then go home and try them out. Really, it's more a question of feel than a question of sound with picks.

Quote by IYanoplathizoI

Nope, there is no such thing as picks only for bass or only for guitar, anything goes. Personally, I don't like the feel of big stubbies and they tend to produce more scratchy noises in my hands than other picks. Still worth a try though.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 2, 2009,
I dont know what im talking about in any of the threads that I poost - thats why i post them if you know what I mean?

I worded that badly

Quote by TheQuailman

That the Duncan Jazz III has the word Jazz in it's name doesn't mean it's limited to that genre. These picks are pretty popular among guitarists of many different styles, including metal. They don't bend much either, as they're pretty thick.

To the threadstarter: If at all possible, go to a music store near you. Take ten bucks, or maybe twenty and buy lots of different picks. One of each model, or however many you want. Then go home and try them out. Really, it's more a question of feel than a question of sound with picks.

Nope, there is no such thing as picks only for bass or only for guitar, anything goes. Personally, I don't like the feel of big stubbies and they tend to produce more scratchy noises in my hands than other picks. Still worth a try though.

I would love to do that - but all of my local stores are small and stock either cheap plastick picks of the kind that the owners prefer. single minded people

Certified lurker
Last edited by IYanoplathizoI at Sep 2, 2009,
Quote by IYanoplathizoI
I dont know what im talking about in any of the threads that I poost - thats why i post them if you know what I mean?

I worded that badly

I would love to do that - but all of my local stores are small and stock either cheap plastick picks of the kind that the owners prefer. single minded people

So, you don't live near a Guitar Center, Sam Ash or general music store. Do you mind me asking where you are located?
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
I use 2mm Dunlops

The cute purples ones with the turtle.

+1
i use those too
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Junnage
So, you don't live near a Guitar Center, Sam Ash or general music store. Do you mind me asking where you are located?

poole. Guatar mania is the nearest one to me and they charge £1 a pick!!!!!

Certified lurker