Hi guys,

I've got an old guitar (my first electric) that's basically a les paul rip off (not even an epiphone) and I want to put different pickups in it for playing in drop D. Currently thinking seymour duncan SH-6 in the bridge and the suggested SH-2 in the neck OR some sort of DiMarzio combination (looking through their site right about now). So has anyone got any DiMarzio suggestions for me, or any others?

Note: I like EMGs (I don't have any, but I think they're cool :p ) but I'm not interested in putting them in this guitar, thanks.

I suppose I should mention, I play metal, but I don't want a thrashy tone, or a death metal one or anything. More of a heavy, but warm metal tone.

Thanks, Pete.

PS. I found this site called proguitarshop.com which seems like a good place to buy the seymour duncan pups cause even with the exchange rate (AU to US) it would costs about the same to buy them both from this site as it would to get one from here. >_< This site doesn't have DiMarzios though, are there any good ones that do?
seymour duncan JB is one of the best pickups out there for that hard rock/metal sound. it is really good in my guitar. great for downtuning too.
I agree why would you need them for another tuning.

But if you want a good metal sound from passives you could look into Bareknuckle pickups, I don't know whether you can get them in the US but they are the best passive p/u's for metal/ rock in my opinion. If you can i recommend the nailbombs
Manchester United
The SD JB is a v good pickup, but for something a lil more.... different, maybe try some Blackouts.

Depends what you want to do with the tuning. I'd imagine you're up for some one finger 5th chord fun, or chugging single notes on the low D string. For that, I really would recommend EMG or other active pickups. You say you don't want EMGs in this guitar, so maybe look for some actives by Seymour Duncan (I can't think of the name of their active range).

DiMarzio Super Distortions?
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Just because you Seymour Duncan, doesn't mean you Seymour Dunshould
Mick Thompson from Slipknot uses Blackouts I believe. And he downtunes a lot. So yeah might wanna check those out.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Seems I left out the reason I'm changing pickups. xD

My guitar has P90s in it which I'm not a fan of. :p I know some people love them but I personally do not (probably wouldn't help that their not any fancy p90s, they'd be the bottom of the range type). So yeah, thanks for the suggestions so far guys.. I'll keep looking.
You'll probably need to get the guitar re-routed for humbuckers, might not be worth the expense in the long run.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Wow okay.

I emailed a guitar shop near (ish) to me to ask how much it would cost (roughly) but I haven't heard back from them yet. I kinda figured that it would have to be routed though, I just didn't think it would cost too much.
Dimarzio has ToneZones and Super Distortions in P90 covers, so you wont need to do any routing.
^ This.
"When you're a young, long-haired guitarist, people don't take you seriously." - John Petrucci.

Quote by maskimx
I am really really not proud of this but there was a chubby, African American kid in my preschool, and I called him "Blacky Fatso"
Wow okay sweet... thanks dude I'll check that out.

I was talking to a guy at a guitar shop (this one doesn't do pickup changing) about it and he said that something I should do before changing pickups is to just change the volume pots on my guitar. He said they'd probably be 250s and I should get 500s instead... I haven't checked what they are yet, I'll try do it tomorrow morning. Is changing them easy? Worthwhile?

Thanks.

EDIT: Just unscrewed the back and checked my guitar then, looks to me like they are already 500s, so I guess I'll have to get the pickups changed, or maybe just buy a distortion pedal or something. xD
Last edited by VVolverin3 at Sep 3, 2009,
Yes, pot value does matter, but not that much... Those dimarzios you were looking at are a good idea.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
you can really use any kind of pickup to play in drop D, The guitarist for Billy Talent uses a Fender Strat and plays in Drop D. But if you want to play in Drop C or D standard or lower, like say Drop A#, you might want a higher output pickup, like Blackouts, EMG's, Symore Duncons's SD's, or A JB 59, things like that. Just higher output in general. But if your going to keep in drop D and Standard then I really wouldnt bother with pickups unless you want a better sounding guitar.
Quote by littlephil
Dimarzio has ToneZones and Super Distortions in P90 covers, so you wont need to do any routing.

super distortions are awesome. my 2nd fav (duncan invaders are my 1st) didnt know you could get them in p 90 style, though. I would go for that. re routing will be more money than its worth

ps: I want your old p90 s if you'll come off of them.
definitely go for the dimarzio super distortion p90. the d-sonic is great for drop tuning, but rerouting for a humbucker is much much more trouble than it's worth
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
The guitar shop I emailed about getting the pickups changed still hasn't replied... Might have to just make the trip to them and ask them in person, don't know when I'll get time to do that though. Maybe on Monday...hmm

Oh and my amp is just a 60w Roland cube. Models various amps and such. I have a behringer distortion pedal but I haven't used it in months, wouldn't mind getting the boss metal zone though.

And DeanRedneck you can have my P90s if you want, if I end up getting them replaced. :p
Quote by VVolverin3
The guitar shop I emailed about getting the pickups changed still hasn't replied... Might have to just make the trip to them and ask them in person, don't know when I'll get time to do that though. Maybe on Monday...hmm

Oh and my amp is just a 60w Roland cube. Models various amps and such. I have a behringer distortion pedal but I haven't used it in months, wouldn't mind getting the boss metal zone though.

And DeanRedneck you can have my P90s if you want, if I end up getting them replaced. :p

Don't get pickups if you have the roland cube, pickups won't really do anything. The boss metazone is a bad pedal.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Okay.

I had a quick (like 10 second) play with it at a guitar shop near me and it sounded okay. What are some better metal pedals?

Also, here's a picture I just took of the guitar I'm talking about...

Sorry, it's huge... :p
You should be able to get all the sounds you want from the amp itself -if you can't then pedals may not help, it might be time to start looking to upgrade that rather than the guitar.

If you must buy a pedal get an EQ first, that should really open up the tones available to you. After that look at upgrading pickups, you wouldn't hear a massive difference between different types of humbucker but you will hear a difference between a p90 and a humbucker.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Cheers dude.

I'll visit this guitar shop I've been trying to contact and if it's going to be some ridiculous amount of money then I won't bother. In the meantime I might try and lower the action on that guitar, since on the upper frets it is really quite high. And bringing the strings a little closer to the pickups probably couldn't hurt, assuming I don't break everything.
Alright, one last bump and I'll let my topic die... :p

EDIT: Hmm... still no display pic, I thought I added one...