i want to be able to clean my guitar sound up with out losing the signal, as at the moment i seem to be turning the guitar down and all thats happening is the outputs going down (barely) but not cleaning untill its at about 1 on the dial however it just feels like its cutting out (and sounds really sh*tty) when its this low and between 4 and 7 there is no differance to the sound or output at all and very little between 4 and 10.

im just wondering do i need to upgrade the volume pots to 500k or 1000k as atm i think they are 250k also with upgrading these do i need to upgrade the tone pots (i dont use them as they are linked to my middle and neck pups which sound horrible)
Gear :
strat copy (SD Hotrails in bridge, Lil' 59 in Neck)
Orange Dual Terror
Orange PPC112
Pitchblack/SHO Clone/Morley PWA wah
if you want a good clean sound...

1. effects pedals. (Y)
2. get a good guitar.
3. use your neck pickup.
4... experiment with things.
Changing them to 1000k pots would make it sound probably way too bright/twangy, I wouldn't go that far (for singlecoils, 250k is usually fine).
Last edited by pete-c at Sep 2, 2009,
the bridge is a single coil humbucker tho and i plan to fit the neck and the middle with these at some point so would i need to go to 500k?

also i would to get a push pull pot to split the coils in the bridge pickup
Gear :
Orange Dual Terror
Orange PPC112
Last edited by blenk at Sep 2, 2009,
Sounds like you have a linear taper pot instead of an audio or "log" taper. You need pots with audio/log tapers for volume because the ear does sense volume increases linearly.
Quote by wikipedia
The 'log pot' is used as the volume control in audio amplifiers, where it is also called an "audio taper pot", because the amplitude response of the human ear is also logarithmic. It ensures that, on a volume control marked 0 to 10, for example, a setting of 5 sounds half as loud as a setting of 10. There is also an anti-log pot or reverse audio taper which is simply the reverse of a log pot. It is almost always used in a ganged configuration with a log pot, for instance, in an audio balance control.

EDIT: Also, disregard all of this. None of it is true I'm afraid Chris.
Quote by Chris945SG
if you want a good clean sound...

1. effects pedals. (Y)
2. get a good guitar.
3. use your neck pickup.
4... experiment with things.
Last edited by supergerbil at Sep 2, 2009,
Quote by supergerbil
Sounds like you have a linear taper pot instead of an audio or "log" taper. You need pots with audio/log tapers for volume because the ear does sense volume increases linearly.

EDIT: Also, disregard all of this. None of it is true I'm afraid Chris.

great thanks and yer that stuff with the pedals isnt what i want, i want my distortion on but to clean it up from my guitar rather than turning it on and off
Gear :
Orange Dual Terror
Orange PPC112
Anytime I see Super-G and David in a thread, I know good info will have been given based on facts. I don't need to repeat the explanation about linear -vs- audio taper.

I might add that one of the reasons your sound is "really sh*tty" could be that the capacitance of your cable and the series resistance when the volume is lowered are filtering out some of the treble. You might benefit some from adding a treble bleed-thru mod to your volume pot to compensate for the treble loss at lower settings.

The following 2 statements really are key, imho. They say a lot about what you're unsuccessfully trying to do. This is a useful technique, but you may be expecting too much.
Quote by blenk
i seem to be turning the guitar down and all thats happening is the outputs going down (barely) but not cleaning untill its at about 1 on the dial however it just feels like its cutting out (and sounds really sh*tty) when its this low
Quote by blenk
i want my distortion on but to clean it up from my guitar rather than turning it on and off
If you're overdriving an amp, you can turn your guitar's volume down to dial back from a moderate crunch down to a clean setting. But there is a limit. If you're trying to dial back from severe distortion to clean, there will need to be a huge difference in guitar volume, and the overall volume of the final sound. My guess is that's what you're trying to accomplish right now.

Using a tube amp, rather than the "dirty" channel of a solid state amp will get you farther. But again, there is limits to what adjusting guitar volume can do for you.

Here's a guy who seems to have this dialed in well. Please note that he accomplishes some of it with the volume control, and some of it with the picking technique.

Clickable ^
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Sep 2, 2009,
great thanks for everyones help
Gear :
Orange Dual Terror
Orange PPC112
Change your volume pots to A500k. I think that the value of the tone pot dosen't affect anything as its paralell with the circuit or something but I could be wrong.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ