http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmDDOFXSgAs

Apparently it's in 5/4, and well the drums aren't what I'm used to. Frankly I never listen to jazz so I wouldn't know, but wouldn't you just count it 1 2 3 4 5 (quarter notes) ? Perhaps I'm just used to rock/metal drums where its mostly 4/4 with accented 2 and 4 beats. To be honest I don't know much about drums either
You should tap your foot kind of fast like eighth notes it seems for five beats. that's an awkward time signature...
1/4= 1
2/4 = 1,2
3/4 = 1,2,3
4/4 = 1,2,3,4
5/4 = 1,2,3,4,5
6/4 = 1,2,3,4,5,6
etc.

Simple, right?
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
usually for a 4/4/ beat I would tap on the 1st and 3rd beats, while in a 5/4 beat I think of it as a 4/4 beat with an extra beat at the end, so it would be on the 1st and 3rd beats still, kind of like "one-two one-two-three, one-two one-two-three, one-two one-two-three" etc.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
One two three four five

If you listen to the song (most other 5/4s are the same btw) you here the accents on the 1 and 4.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Just count to 5 man, get out of the habit of accentuating the 4 so much, literally once you've done it for a little while, you'll be able to feel the rhythm a bit more 'musically', its just cause ur so used to 4/4
Haven't seen you in awhile elven.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
There was a Gorillaz song called "5/4" and that was because of the time used on it. Good song, but it's a rock 5/4 song so maybe that'd be easier to tap to than a jazz one.
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Just because you Seymour Duncan, doesn't mean you Seymour Dunshould
iv got a mate whos a drummer who counts it ONE two ONE two three
Quote by Cutlass_253
Me: Why haven't we had sex yet?
My Girlfriend: We have...
Me: Oh...right...
My Girlfriend: Who the **** did you think you were talking to
Me: Gotta go, bye!

this game is lame.
Frankly, it doesnt matter what you tap at all as long you have 5 counts in one measure.
ONE two THREE four five
ONE two three FOUR five

I played a song many times with one TWO three FOUR FIVE...whatever.

It depends on what you want it to sound like.
Quote by elvenkindje
One two three four five

If you listen to the song (most other 5/4s are the same btw) you here the accents on the 1 and 4.

+1
Most 5/4 and 5/8 songs are 3+2
Occasionally, you'll get 2+3, and even 2+2+1.
In complex time signatures, it feels more natural for the irregular beat to be the "upbeat" (e.g. 3+3+2 or 2+2+3), but this isn't always what you want.

Quote by deHufter
Frankly, it doesnt matter what you tap at all as long you have 5 counts in one measure.
ONE two THREE four five
ONE two three FOUR five

I played a song many times with one TWO three FOUR FIVE...whatever.

It depends on what you want it to sound like.

Yes it does. This song sounds to me to be clearly 3+2. It's unmusical to tap 2+3 in this case, in the same way that you wouldn't tap 3/4 in a 6/8: it contradicts the feel of the music. It doesn't mean that 2+3 doesn't work in other cases, just not this one.
Last edited by National_Anthem at Sep 2, 2009,
Quote by National_Anthem
+1
Yes it does. This song sounds to me to be clearly 3+2. It's unmusical to tap 2+3 in this case, in the same way that you wouldn't tap 3/4 in a 6/8: it contradicts the feel of the music. It doesn't mean that 2+3 doesn't work in other cases, just not this one.

I was unclear, i meant 5/4 in general cause this guy was talking about his drummer friend tapping something else