For those who sing and play instruments at the same time.

I am starting a new band, in which I will be playing Rhythm guitar & doing vocals. It's the first time I have ever done this, but I have sung one song while playing guitar in my other band (which went really well, but it was a simple song to play guitar to).

Question is, are there any tips you can give me regarding this?
Check out my Electronica project!
http://
Practice...seriously. You should learn to play the chords without thinking about them, then it's easy to sing over it.
Quote by deHufter
Practice...seriously. You should learn to play the chords without thinking about them, then it's easy to sing over it.

Yea, practice is key. You should learn the guitar part so that it comes naturally. Then you can take and really improve your vocals.
^^^ to the first two posts.

Besides that, I advise practicing with songs with easy guitar parts first and then moving on to more difficult ones.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Great advice above.

I'd also recommend practicing specifically with a microphone. The instrument can sometimes get in the way of the stand if you're not used to playing with it. Also practice in front of a mirror - if you haven't done much playing and singing at the same time it's appropriate that you practice without staring at your hand b/c your head will be at the microphone.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Now this is a really good idea man

Im a Guitarist/Vocalist too...
but instead of rhythm I do the Lead!
I.e. it's more complicated but i get the freedom of movements during my solos.. that means i dont just stick to my mic stand all the time...

and i always create 4 piece bands... (Lead/Vocals (that's me ) rhythm bass and drummer)

So my advice would be to pick up some basic Chord-strumming songs and do the vocals at the same time.. than get some complicated strumming pattern and do the vocals (check out Pink Floyd's Another Brick in the wall part 2... the clean electric guitar track.. i remember me having problems with the track and vocals at the same time... it'll help )

and then go to really complicated stuff if you want...

but remember!!! You are singing.. that means You cant stare at your fretboard or something..
you need to sing into the mic... if you've got he habbit of looking at either of your hands.. then brake it!!! otherwise during a gig you'll take a look at your hand and your voice won't sound through your PA! that happened to me during my practices ....

thanx
Don't think too hard about the guitar or the singing - and practise til it becomes second nature.
***Short Sig***
Quote by AlanHB
Great advice above.

I'd also recommend practicing specifically with a microphone. The instrument can sometimes get in the way of the stand if you're not used to playing with it. Also practice in front of a mirror - if you haven't done much playing and singing at the same time it's appropriate that you practice without staring at your hand b/c your head will be at the microphone.

+1 my first open mic night either nobody could hear me, or I was too loud. In the end I twatted the mic with my head and I couldn't reach it.

So practice with the mic and start with easy simple chord songs and progress in difficulty the better you get.
Not to beat a dead horse...but...practice practice practice

I sing/play and i'll learn both parts separately and them put them together when i'm comfortable.
Practice song on guitar until you are sick of it, then rinse and repeat.

Playing the guitar part needs to be automatic, and then you can work the voice. I had the toughest time with this for years.

One thing that helped me was to understand key rhythmic changes and when chords/notes are played during lyrics (i.e., "chord strum takes place on first syllable of third word of vocal line on a downbeat", etc.). Then I was able to link the lyrical cadence with key portions of the guitar rhythm.

I also forced myself to focus on other routine tasks while playing a song so I could break my need to focus all concentration on guitar. For example, I'd play a song on my unplugged electric and carry on a conversation with my daughter, or play while watching TV. Believe it or not, it helped my ability to mentally multitask. My wife says I still have a problem paying attention when she talks, but that's another issue...
Important one is to of course watch the audience, not the guitar.

Practice really is the key, as always, just make sure your comfortable with your needing to play and sing at the same time. Just keep going over it until you get it, then keep going until you never **** it up.
There is really no trick or technique to playing/singing at the same time. You really just have to practice. A lot. You have to be able to play the song without thinking about it. You have to know your parts inside and out and basically have it down to muscle memory. At that point you can begin working on adding vocals while playing. When musicians do it well, they make it look easy. The reason is they've practiced it so much that it's just second nature. Learning to play/sing at the same time was probably the most difficult thing I've ever had to do musically.
One thing that used to help me, I'd play a song slowly and go along with the chord changes until I got the feel of the song. Doing that a lot helped me get to the point where if I know a song I can just look at a chord tab for the song on here and start playing it whatever speed I want. You just gotta practice really.