A lot of guitar websites boast about having their guitars handmade or semi handmade, but what is so good about that? Surely machines are better because people are gonna make more mistakes than a computer. I'm not knocking handmade guitars but what is so much better about them?
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
maybe the quality of a handmade guitar is better? machines can't pick out those little things that may make the guitar better.
Actually highly skilled luthiers that make guitars the old fashioned way by hand make extremely high high quality guitars. They dont make more mistakes because its their area of expertise, they are careful as possible. Plus the attention to detail done with a handmade guitar is much more apparent
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
well put it this way, if u had to come have very complex surgery would u want a person or a computer?

i guess its cos ppl love the craft and put more effot into it, it shows your instrument is unique and not just off a production line millions of ppl might have hte same model but nobody has your guita
Most guitars made today by any big company are done on a CNC machine. Gibson has been doing it for many, many years before CNC they used a type of machine that copied a template. All guitars are basically hand assembled no matter where they come from. True handmade guitars are far and few between usually small customizers are the only ones actually hand making guitars. Even custom shop guitar from all the big names are cut on CNC machines and then the bodies are sorted thru for the best ones and used for the custom shop models or at least that's what I was told but I have my doubts after seeing some poorly made custom shop guitars. IMHO a small customizer takes more pride in his work rather than a disgruntled overworked assembly line of workers in a factory.

John
In short, it's because wood's not a totally consistent commodity item.

Longer version...

Look at it like this. You get a billet of aluminum, you perform a series of machine-controlled actions to, you get effectively identical widgets out the other end... not purely because the manufacturing process is consistent, but because the input materials are consistent.

When it comes to wood, no two bits are the same, and therefore won't behave in exactly the same way when worked. This is just fine when it comes to turning out table legs, as whilst these have got to be accurate, the millimetre here and there isn't going to be problem, and the different strengths of the pieces will be within acceptable tolerances.

This, however, doesn't really apply when it comes to guitars. Guitars are actually pretty precise bits of kit. The degree of variation in the wood is sufficient to cause the end result to not be within the ideal tolerances if no additional human input is available. In other words, a CNC wotsit machine turn out "a neck" time after time, but it can't turn out "a neck that fits perfectly to the body to which it is to be joined" time after time - it'll get lucky sometimes, it'll do so-so sometimes, and other times it'll **** it up... the programming won't have changed, merely the bit of wood going into the machine.

To sum it all up...

People do clever things with wood better than machines because they can treat each bit of wood according to it's properties.

Machines do clever things with bits of metal, plastic etc. better (in many cases) because they treat each bit of input material according to it's properties... which are generally the same.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
Quote by Archieisted
well put it this way, if u had to come have very complex surgery would u want a person or a computer?

i guess its cos ppl love the craft and put more effot into it, it shows your instrument is unique and not just off a production line millions of ppl might have hte same model but nobody has your guita

Well surgery done by a computer has been shown to be as good as a human, in the UK though I havent read the full article so I dont know what scientific basis they judged it on, probably just a surgeon examining the work.

But every piece of wood is different, and the guitar is a piece of art, a robot will be able to build a perfectly functioning guitar but I good luthier will be able to get the most out of a good cut of wood.

Though eventually robots may be as good, atm they are more used for the menial tasks on guitar construction.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by Snapple
Well surgery done by a computer has been shown to be as good as a human, in the UK though I havent read the full article so I dont know what scientific basis they judged it on, probably just a surgeon examining the work.

But every piece of wood is different, and the guitar is a piece of art, a robot will be able to build a perfectly functioning guitar but I good luthier will be able to get the most out of a good cut of wood.

Though eventually robots may be as good, atm they are more used for the menial tasks on guitar construction.

my point exactly, surgons can deal with anything they cant get bugged or go wrong they deal with whatever goes wrong and they think. its not the same with guitars but apply a similr logic