im looking at getting the blackheart little giant half stack (BH5H 5-watt head and the BH112 1x12" cabinet) and a good metal distortion pedal, will it be loud enough to hear over drums though, also what are its cleans like and will it be able to do metal with a good pedal
You won't need a pedal to get a good, saturated distortion tone out of it, the little giant is a decent amp in and of its own right, as far as being heard over the drums, well, it depends on what kind of situation you're in
My Gear

Schecter C-1 Plus (Seymour Duncan JB bridge, Seymour Duncan '59 neck)

Bugera 333XL 212 Combo

MXR Carbon Copy
MXR ZW-45 Overdrive
BBE Sonic Stomp
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
It's a good amp, but I don't think it's for you. Even with a pedal, it just doesn't have the right voicing for metal. And, it's going to have trouble keeping up with drums.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I have used the Little Giant in a small room in an apartment for practice with a drummer, bass player, and singer. It was fine to cut over the drums in that situation and has a very nice overdrive when you dime it. It does work well with pedals and multi-fx units.

It really depends on what kind of metal you are looking to play. Death/Thrash Metal, may be a stretch.

I recently got the Blackheart Handsome Devil because we will be playing some larger rooms and I needed more headroom, especially for clean.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
ok thanks
now im new to buying amps so bare with me but if i were going to play a small gig 100ish people would i need to buy a whole new set up or could i just use another cab
I am using the 1x12 Blackheart cab andf I haven't had any issues. I think I am going to end up getting the Blackheart 4x12 slanted cab in the future.

It really depends on how heavy your drummer is and the acoustics of the room you are playing. If you are playing outdoors, you may get lost in the mix and need a stronger head like the Handsome Devil or HotHead..
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Quote by notsominidude
can you switch the heads and keep the same cab though

As long as you match the impedance (16 ohm, etc.) you can really mix and match cabs and heads.

But what the other guys said, you can get metal tones out of it, but it is built for British type of overdrive and classic rock. Pedals do help with this though.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky