Hey guys,

I've been playing for a couple of years now, entirely self taught, but I find myself plateauing I guess you could call it. Horizontal growth not vertical, if you get my meaning. Certain aspects of my playing (noteably my rhythm) need specific attention

Wondering if it would be a good idea to get a teacher? Not sure how it works tho. I'm not interested in learning music theory just now, rather developing my own style and learning some of my favourite songs. Would I suggest songs to a teacher and they'd help me through it once they learn themselves?

Advice plz?
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Look for a professional teacher, not some bum on Craigslist who wants to make an extra $40 for weed money. Someone who has 10+ years experience teaching whatever it is that you want to learn. Before you schedule any lessons, get in touch with them and tell them EXACTLY what you're looking for. Feel them out. Trust me, if you find someone who can help you, you'll know it when you talk to them.

A teacher is a great way to bust through plateaus. New, fresh focus and perspective. There's nothing like it.
theory is always useful
i don't like theory but i think it helps my playing quite a bit
it could give you an idea of how chords work and such =p
I agree! I made the mistake of being purely self-taught for 13 years until getting myself a RGT guitar tutor, since which time my playing has escalated beyond belief in a very short space of time.

Don't think about it, do it! NOW!
yeah before i was just playing the up down strum
i learned some new patterns from watching him
Quote by eyeplayguitar
Look for a professional teacher, not some bum on Craigslist who wants to make an extra $40 for weed money. Someone who has 10+ years experience teaching whatever it is that you want to learn. Before you schedule any lessons, get in touch with them and tell them EXACTLY what you're looking for. Feel them out. Trust me, if you find someone who can help you, you'll know it when you talk to them.

A teacher is a great way to bust through plateaus. New, fresh focus and perspective. There's nothing like it.

I found my teacher on craigslist and he's one of the most knowledgable people about music that I've ever met. Been playing guitar for 30+ years, Teaching privately for 15. Went to both the University of Mexico and Musicians Institute to study music. Taught at the university of mexico for awhile. Teaches guitar at the local School of Rock. Been in a bunch of bands, was a signed lead guitarist for epic records back in the 80's, and owns his own website called earbuzz.com for independant musicians to sell their music from for 100% profit.

Just saying.. not everyone on craigslist is a bum looking for extra cash. I happened to hit a home run with this guy being as he's the first guy I got in touch with because his CL ad was so well written I thought I'd give him a try
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
If theres a school of rock, look there first!
Otherwise look for a guitar teacher probably in his 30s or 40s or older that likes classical guitar.
I found a teacher named Lisle Crowley at my local school of rock and he has taught me some things I never thought possible.
Even if you dont like classical guitar (i dont either) getting a classical guitar teacher will really help.
the.best.possible.move.youcould.make!!!!remember"teachers,have.teachers!!!!!goodluck!
Quote by EbonySouth
I agree! I made the mistake of being purely self-taught for 13 years until getting myself a RGT guitar tutor, since which time my playing has escalated beyond belief in a very short space of time.

Don't think about it, do it! NOW!

Hey. Who was that then? I am just over Boxley Hill mate
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!