Can anyone recommend a good bass theory book? Ive been playing bass for about three years and guitar for about 6...I can learn by ear pretty well...so thats what ive been going with...ive finally hit a stand still where if I want to advance as a bass player I need to learn theory...or atleast thats what all the other posts say...so can anybody recommend a good book for learning bass theory and scales and how to form chords and such?
Going Forward One Step At A Time
I like the Hal Lenard (sp?) books. The only issue is that he teaches the 124 method then later changes it to 1234 (one finger per fret)
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Music theory is music theory, no matter the instrument. My favourite book is "Complete Idiots Guide to Music Theory".

However, Mel Bay has released a book called Essential Music Theory for Electric Bass by Robert Garner. It looks to be a good basic theory book that is geared for bass players.
Quote by bloodsport2256
Can anyone recommend a good bass theory book? Ive been playing bass for about three years and guitar for about 6...I can learn by ear pretty well...so thats what ive been going with...ive finally hit a stand still where if I want to advance as a bass player I need to learn theory...or atleast thats what all the other posts say...so can anybody recommend a good book for learning bass theory and scales and how to form chords and such?

"Bass Guitar for Dummies" by Patrick Pfeiffer.
"Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?"

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Quote by anarkee
"Complete Idiots Guide to Music Theory".

Music theory for dummies is also a great help.

What I would recommend doing is starting off (Assuming you're a beginner) with a bass book, and then going on to a more general music theory book when you're ready.