I now have 1200eu and I would like to buy a new amp.
I play a lot of things: classic rock, blues, metal, and in my band I play post-rock/sludge metal.
So I would need an amp that can do a bit of everything but it really has to have a kind of isis, cult of luna, tool, mastodon, baroness sound.
Later this day I'm ckecking out a used jcm 800 and a used mesa boogie dual rect. (an old one in a rack).
Do you have some other suggestions?
I'm looking for new or used and my guitar is a fender tele, if I buy something jcm 800-ish I would buy an old tubescreamer as well.

other amps I'm thinking:

- laboga mr hector
- h&k switchblade
- h&k trilogy

cheers
Hendrik
Last edited by henis at Sep 2, 2009,
Do you have a cab already? If yes, I'd recommend an Engl Blackmore. If no, I recommend a used Blackmore along with an Engl 212VH or an Orange PPC212.
I would go for the Switchblade.

the Mr. Hector is a highgain monster and i think it wont do blues very well
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
How 'bout these

- Laney VH100R (this is the head Bill of Mastodon plays, really awesome)

But that that only when you got a cab...
The Laney VH100R is definitely worth looking into. It's a really nice amp. Although, I don't believe Mastodon use them anymore.

Other Laney amps are the GH50L and the TT50H that are well worth trying out if you can.

I'd second the Blackmore, as well.

Maybe an Orange AD30 with a pedal to boost it into fuzzier territory.

The Trilogy (and the Switchblade to a certain degree) are very modern sounding amplifiers. They're nice, just a little too compressed for sludge metal if you ask me. You need something raw and honest...ENGL Fireball?

I recently tried out a Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern (with those Russian tubes KT66's), and I was realy surprised at how awesome it was. EL34's in Marshalls often sound too whispy and harsh in the upper range, but the new tubes really gave this bass and character.

You could combine any of these with a Framus Dragon 2x12.
For those bands I would definitely check out the Laney VH; it's a really unique amp, I think, that gets a certain tone about it (fits in very well with the bands you've mentioned...Mastadon used them right? Well anyway, Opeth still uses them)

Also someone said the Engl Blackmore which is maybe my favorite high gain tone - I prefer it to the Powerball, Fireball, SE, (still haven't played an Invader...).

Haven't played a Framus Cobra but I know owners who are very satisfied, no experience with the Framus Dragon whatsoever except for stuff I've heard online (all good, mind you).

The Laney GH always gave me the impression of being like a JCM800 kind of amp...except better, to my ears, you can go farther with it, push it harder, get some really great sounds across the spectrum with it. But I like almost any quality made single channel tube amplifier (at least the ones I've played :p)
-Mike
Take a look at these;

ORANGE AD30HTC
ORANGE ROCKER 30H
ORANGE ROCKERVERB 50 HEAD
Blackheart Hot Head 100
ORANGE THUNDERVERB 50H (Little above your buget)
MARSHALL DSL100
ENGL FIREBALL 100 E635
LANEY VH100RN
PEAVEY 3120
EGNATER TOURMASTER 4100 (Little above your buget)
MARSHALL 2203
PEAVEY JSX
HUGHES&KETTNER SWITCHBLADE TSC HEAD
FRAMUS FR RUBY CB TOP BLACK
BLACKSTAR SERIES ONE 100
SOLDANO ASTROVERB HEAD (20 watt)
RANDALL RM100M
ENGL BLACKMORE
KOCH AMPS TWINTONE II HEAD
HUGHES&KETTNER STATESMAN DUAL EL34
MARSHALL 1987X
LABOGA ALLIGATOR AD 5200 SINGLE HEAD
VOX AC30HH (Not really good for metal, but it can do the other genres very well)
MARSHALL JTM45/2245
MARSHALL 2061X
BOGNER ALCHEMIST
EGNATER RENEGADE-65
LANEY TT100H
ENGL SCREAMER 50 E335
KUSTOM 72 COUPE HARDTOP

There are soo many amps you should be looking at though
Good luck bro