so this is probably a dumb question but Im looking to buy a MIM strat... probably used. and from reading i'v seen many forums about particularly good or bad years for guitars.

so, for MIM strats, are there any known bad years? or really good years?
well in general all years were pretty bad for mim strats. just play a bunch of them and buy the best playing/sounding one.
Quote by Mayonaise 812
well in general all years were pretty bad for mim strats

Ignore this ^

Quote by Mayonaise 812
just play a bunch of them and buy the best playing/sounding one.

Do this ^
Kit:

Tanglewood TW28STR
PRS Soapbar SE II
Epiphone LP100

Roland Cube 30x (New!)
apparently the mid 90's where the good years for the MZ's, but ive never played one so cant really verify this
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
Quote by Mayonaise 812
well in general all years were pretty bad for mim strats. just play a bunch of them and buy the best playing/sounding one.

The first part of this sattement is bull ****, the second is truth.
Quote by Shabadoo
The first part of this sattement is bull ****, the second is truth.

then when was it, and proof? im going off of personal experience and opinion.
I've found them to improve in quality in recent years. I think it was around 2006 when they changed a lot of the hardware etc and they became rather nifty. But saying that, I've played good and bad ones from most years.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
TBH, most MIMs are pretty solid.

But you should always play before you buy, just in case you come upon a bad one.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Mayonaise 812
then when was it, and proof? im going off of personal experience and opinion.

Well so am I, saying that there are no good years of MiM Start is just misleading. Like many guitars in that price range there are lemons, middle of the roads, and gems. From the ones I've played (mainly ones from the last three or so years) I've found nothing wrong with them and one or two have felt down right awesome.
I think it comes down to good and bad days more so than years with mims. I know i liked my MIM enough to upgrade all the pickups, electronics, and wiring. With that being done, Its a kick ass guitar. On the other hand i could of just bought an american for what i am into the MIM. Oh well, i like it.
i know in the mid 90's there are some good ones.

mine was bought in 95, might have a 96 in the sn.

i also, know,
they changed factories more than once, and used US parts some years and cheap parts in other years.
i've seen posts talking about them. i was never much into guitar history to take notes.

you're not talking vintage stuff tho right?

if you mean before or after they updated the trem block, pups and shielding in 05-06.
then tbh, some guys like them before that, because the frets felt different.

anyway, i'll do a quick look for specifics but honestly, if you're in the us and going used, it should be around 300 -350.

the neck should play true, without a lot of home done mods.

and how good the guitar is, should be considered case by case.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Kurapica
I've found them to improve in quality in recent years. I think it was around 2006 when they changed a lot of the hardware etc and they became rather nifty. But saying that, I've played good and bad ones from most years.

Anywhere I could find the specific changes? the one im looking at is a 2008 or 2009, its got 2 upgraded pups (seymour duncan vintage rails) its at 350 in mint condition on craigslist. seems like a decent deal.

I know Im getting real in depth for not a high end guitar... but this is a huge purchase for me, and probably the last guitar Ill be able to get for a long time. its also all I really need, just a slick workingmans guitar
Quote by somekid413
Anywhere I could find the specific changes? the one im looking at is a 2008 or 2009, its got 2 upgraded pups (seymour duncan vintage rails) its at 350 in mint condition on craigslist. seems like a decent deal.

I know Im getting real in depth for not a high end guitar... but this is a huge purchase for me, and probably the last guitar Ill be able to get for a long time. its also all I really need, just a slick workingmans guitar

350 sounds about right. go for it.
the price isnt the issue. as per my previous statement this is a really big purchase for me.. I want to make sure I know everything about what I'm buying, at least from a technical perspective. of course if i play it and don't like it ill walk away...
but if it turns out 2008 strats were specially made by kids off a short bus... I would like to know.
Quote by somekid413

Try 'em first, that's the key but 350 for an upgraded MiM seems like a solid price.
Haven't played a whole lot of MIM strats, but I took a look at a MIJ strat last week and it was one of the smoothest strats I've ever played.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
Quote by Mayonaise 812
well in general all years were pretty bad for mim strats.

You're an idiot.

just play a bunch of them and buy the best playing/sounding one.

You are redeemed.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by Kurapica
Agreed! It was either 2006 or 2007 (too lazy to confirm) when they also started using the heftier trem block, instead of the puny ones for the earlier years.

Quote by Ippon
Agreed! It was either 2006 or 2007 (too lazy to confirm) when they also started using the heftier trem block, instead of the puny ones for the earlier years.

think it was 05 into 06. but even still some guys still complained that even wt the trem block, shielding, frets and pups, it was still a hit or miss guitar.

imo, part of what made my mex strat so great was the the fact that it was great for the money.

after they made a few improvements, they just about doubled the price.

bleh.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011