why do we buy noise gate pedals? i realised (im not the 1st of any1 to find this out i think) that a pedal without a battery can cut off your sound COMPLETELY i dont know alot bout effects or guitar so noise gate pedals might have other uses? but i just want 2 know off people who own em why did yu buy it?
the goal of a noise gate isnt to cut off your sound completely. you can just roll down the volume on your gutiar for that....
High gain, crappy pedals and other things can create unwanted noise even when you're not even playing. A noise gate is designed to detect when you are playing and when you are not. When you aren't it'll shut down the signal completely to prevent any unwanted noises.
WTLTL 2011
It's a noisegate, not a soundgate.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by nightraven
a noise gate cuts all sound below a certain threshold to shut up noisy pickups, pedals or your preamp. not to cut off all sound.

this

/thread
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
Gibson SG Special Faded Brown w/ Duncan Blackouts
AMP
B-52 At-112 60 Wat All Tube Combo
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
SG --> MXR --> ISP --> B-52
I don't get this questioning.
Yea a (not true bypass) pedal with no battery can cut off your sound completely - so can unplugging your guitar, or shutting off your amp.

Noise gates are for control feed-back and amp hiss.
When you mute the strings with your hand, if you have your noise gate set up right, your amp should be mostly silent WITHOUT having to cut the volume on your guitar.
It's to cut off your signal above/below a certain frequency so as to cut out the excess noise. Noise gate is one of the very important components of the pedal board IMO as all the unwanted noise is filtered off.
Quote by Heminator89
It's to cut off your signal above/below a certain frequency so as to cut out the excess noise. Noise gate is one of the very important components of the pedal board IMO as all the unwanted noise is filtered off.

No. It cuts off above a certain decibel level. Cutting off above/below a certain frequency would be considered low/high passing, but I don't recommend low passing under about 11khz or high passing above around 70hz for guitars.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Sep 2, 2009,
there has also been some use with the actual tone of noise gates. sometimes people actually like the 'clamp' of a noise gate on fuzz pedals. this, imo, is more like using a noise gate to mess with the 'sustain' characteristic of an instrument then actually using it to eliminate hiss and feedback. using a noise gate in this manner produces 'clipped' or overly truncated sounding notes. while i admint this is a fairly narrow use you'll hear sounds like it in such songs as Green Day's 'Brain Stew'(even though i am not sure if that is what they actually used).
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
for single coil hum i didnt like decimator, when I played I could here the hum. I took it back and bought a hot rail pup!
tone slut

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
jet City 2112 Combo
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Classic Vibe Telecaster