It occurred to me the other day that for the length of time I have been playing I am not very good.

I'd hate to think that I've plateau'd, which is unlikely because I still noticed progress. But lately I've been seeing people who have been playing for even half the amount of time that I have and they are phenomenal. I know that some people are just born with a guitar in their hands or the genes to just do it. But it makes me feel lazy as a musician.

What are some things you guys do to help you advance?
Gear:
Guild
Taylor 110 (Dreadnought Body) <3

Check out my lesson on tapping:
Tapping
make sure you aren't confusing the different aspects of guitar playing

i mean, if somebody picked up a guitar and spent six months going through one tab, learning some ridiculously long solo, and could play it, they wouldn't be a good guitarist in my view

if someone learned all the music theory, memorized the scales, chord progressions, but hadn't spent much time learning to sweep pick, then they're a better musician than the first guy i described

everyone prioritizes differently, its not necessarily a race because not everyone wants the same things from their guitar education
Quote by Cody.Guitarist
It occurred to me the other day that for the length of time I have been playing I am not very good.

I'd hate to think that I've plateau'd, which is unlikely because I still noticed progress. But lately I've been seeing people who have been playing for even half the amount of time that I have and they are phenomenal. I know that some people are just born with a guitar in their hands or the genes to just do it. But it makes me feel lazy as a musician.

What are some things you guys do to help you advance?

listen to/enjoy/appreciate music
practice/play guitar alot
study music
avoid worrying about how you compare to others, or how good you are "supposed to be".
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 2, 2009,
I know were all suppose to help, but heres one thing kid, never give up, i once started playing from guitar to bass cuz i thought i'd do better, no matter what, u still gotta master something, now, i've gotten better at guitar, i've made up my own solos cuz i've done bette r, just continue progressing.
Actually, you know it's really a funny thing.

It's not that I can't play as well as them. I just can't learn songs that they can play.

I mean... I know I can play good. When I make up my own stuff or fiddle around. It sounds great. But I can for the life of me learn tabs. I used to be able to. Now... It's like I can't remember any thing 2 seconds after I try to learn it.
Gear:
Guild

Tapping
Quote by Cody.Guitarist
Actually, you know it's really a funny thing.

It's not that I can't play as well as them. I just can't learn songs that they can play.

I mean... I know I can play good. When I make up my own stuff or fiddle around. It sounds great. But I can for the life of me learn tabs. I used to be able to. Now... It's like I can't remember any thing 2 seconds after I try to learn it.

don't worry about it.

play your guitar - have fun
shred is gaudy music
So... Should I just not learn tabs? Or just start at the basics again? Maybe it will help me with my memorization.
Gear:
Guild

Tapping
forget tabs... use yr ear... go for the basics as its always a good refresher. But make sure you progress from there.. Challenge yourself in as many ways as you can.

I too have come across players who rip up and down the neck, play this song and that song... when asked to play something original, well, quite frankly they suck green dog balls.
Develop what you need to develop. Whatever you are happy with, thats where you will be
Thanks evolucian and GuitarMunkey.

This is really what I needed to hear
Gear:
Guild

Tapping