So I was in my guitar store where I pickup most of my gear this last weekend. I have a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier and, to be perfectly honest, it's just not "doing it" for me anymore.
It's a great amp but once the novelty wore off I realized that I didn't prefer the tone to my old Peavey 5150. Even retubing the Mesa Boogie didn't help.

That said, I walked into the store looking to buy a newer 5150. I was told that Peavey no longer builds the new 5150 so they basically renamed it the 6505. (No clue who is making the new 5150 III but I believe it's Fender). Lucky for me they had a 6505 in stock.

There I was jamming away, falling in love with it again. (The clean tone completely sucked but, hey, it's a high gain amp right?) When suddenly the salesman comes over to me and asks "Have you ever tried a Bugera amp"?

I thought he must have been joking. Bugera? I've definitely heard of them, but quickly dismissed them as "just another company".

Then he drops the bomb on me when he tells me that Bugera builds a "clone" of the amp I was playing. I figured, what the hell? I may as well try it out as well.

A few minutes later I'm playing the Bugera 6262 and I'm completely blown away. They NAILED the tone. I mean, it's identical. But it seems they changed the clean channel to something that actually sounds good. I just couldn't believe it. I've been playing for a LONG time and I've owned so many expensive pieces of gear but always dismissed and passed over these Bugera amps.

Then comes the REAL surprise......I looked at the price tag (which was flipped over backwards so I couldn't read it)...........my jaw dropped.......$500.

What?? Only $500? For a Peavey 5150/6505 clone that sounds great? It MUST be built in china, I thought. This cannot be worth it, can it? The salesmen then tells me that these are hand-built. I was so confused that I had to leave the store.

I rushed home, eager to go online to see if I could verify any of what the salesman was telling me. Sure enough, they are hand-built.........Not only that, but gigging musicians are stating that they aren't having any issues with them......

SOoooo.......I can pickup an amp that is a perfect clone of my beloved 5150/6505 but it's hand built, is actually built with metal rather then plastic, sounds perfect and it's about a third the price?

I'm HIGHLY tempted to go buy it right now. From my experience so far, this has been one of the best deals I've been presented with (Other then when I picked up an original Marshall Plexi for $150).

Can someone give me some advice? Anyone own one or know anyone who does? They appear to be better built then the amp they are cloning, but are they? Or do they fall apart when you get them home?

Anybody have any other thoughts to share?
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Last edited by theraven871 at Sep 2, 2009,
from my experiance bugera amps are great and a good bang for your buck, they have had reliability issues in the past mostly with power transformers blowing but they are supposed to have fixed that issue.
i say go for it dude
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
You've been here since 2004?

Yes the 5153 is made by Fender for EVH brand.

Yes the Bugera 6262 is a clone of the 6505+

Yes they have good tone. Yes they are very loud. Yes they have had some QC issues.

Yes you should use the Search Bar in your quest.

Yes you should read BeerChurch's blog on how to do a QC check if you buy one.

Yes they are made in China.

Yes there is a Bugera Militia Users Thread for all things Bugera.

Yes you had a long OP.

From my experience, in this industry you usually get what you pay for.

It's hard for me to imagine that this amp clones the lead channel PERFECTLY and even improves the clean channel.

Something has to be wrong here........The deal seems too good to be true.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Keep in mind that that one could be old stock which would have the transformer issues. If you do go for it, make sure every screw on the amp is tight and that the transformer clip is soldered.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
+1 to the guy above; the issue has been solved.
I love these amps, but most of all if YOU like the sound then go for it
Quote by Raijouta
Keep in mind that that one could be old stock which would have the transformer issues. If you do go for it, make sure every screw on the amp is tight and that the transformer clip is soldered.

I used to sell them. Not all the issues are solved. There were capacitor issues with the 333xl, and tube/transformer issues with a couple other models. I was actually zapped pretty bad by one that had a power discharge issue(yes I know what I'm doing with a tube amp). They gave me a free one so I didn't sue them I guess.
They had issues in the past but they're pretty much fixed now. They have a much more compact/crowded PCB than the Peaveys and probly aren't as well built and they come with fairly bad tubes. But right now I don't think any amp on the market beats them in bang for buck. Just make sure you bias it properly when you get one and don't throw it out of the window and you should be fine.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Yeah I got the 333XL and i love it. The lead channel is really nice and heavy and the cleans are definitely not bad. I haven't had any trouble with mine so i say go for it.
Smart Pothead and Proud
Imo, they sound far from the same. Check this vid out. You clearly hear a big difference between the two amps (the amps are dialed in the same way):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CCeS3Ibbd4

They definatly did NOT nail it.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Sep 2, 2009,
Quote by Harvesterofsrrw
from my experiance bugera amps are great and a good bang for your buck, they have had reliability issues in the past mostly with power transformers blowing but they are supposed to have fixed that issue.
i say go for it dude

Erm, not power transformers blowing. The wire that went from the power source to the transformer (or something like that) was secured with a plastic clip, which would eventually melt. You just had to resolder the wire.

That, plus many amps arrived either DOA or would soon stop working, I belive most of these were because of shoddy tubes.

Oh, and about that "handwired", it's not like it's a handwired PTP boutique amp or anything. I guess they just used cheap chinese labor to do it and then call it handwired.

Having said that, I think they're great amps if you're on a budget. I own a 6262 combo and it's great

Edit:
Quote by LP_CL
Imo, they sound far from the same. Check this vid out. You clearly hear a big difference between the two amps (the amps are dialed in the same way):

Eh, they ARE different amps. They won't sound the same with the same settings. That doesn't mean you couldn't make a 6262 sound like a 6505 if you'd try.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Last edited by Fama at Sep 2, 2009,
Quote by LP_CL

That video is of a 6260. NOT a 6262.

There is a difference.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
honestly, ive played a 6505 a bunch of times and the 6262 a few times, and i thought that the bugera actually did sound worse in comparison. not bad definitely, but not nearly as good as the peavey. but the cleans own the 6505 easily
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Fama

Eh, they ARE different amps. They won't sound the same with the same settings. That doesn't mean you couldn't make a 6262 sound like a 6505 if you'd try.

It clearly has a different voicing, It's quite obvious. And when it has another voicing, you will never be able to get them sound alike.
Btw, If it would be a clone, than they SHOULD sound the same with the same settings. That's the point of cloning.

Quote by theraven871
That video is of a 6260. NOT a 6262.

There is a difference.

6260 should be the 5150/6505
6262 should be the 5150II/6505+

So you should compare the 6260 to the 5150, not the 6262.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Sep 2, 2009,
Quote by Raijouta

Not transformer issues, but transformer connection issues, which I may add from experience is a 10 minute fix
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
if you get the head I strongly advise on a good cab, also a 10 band eq it will do wonders!
tone slut

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
jet City 2112 Combo
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Classic Vibe Telecaster
Quote by LP_CL
It clearly has a different voicing, It's quite obvious. And when it has another voicing, you will never be able to get them sound alike.
Btw, If it would be a clone, than they SHOULD sound the same with the same settings. That's the point of cloning.

Cloning doesn't mean the pots have the same taper though
It's the circuitry that's important. Still, they have different transformers and different brands of tubes, they're not gonna sound the same.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
Cloning doesn't mean the pots have the same taper though
It's the circuitry that's important. Still, they have different transformers and different brands of tubes, they're not gonna sound the same.

I'm thinking about buying a 1960 but i want to here from more people that have and also wait till i have a bigger cab.
on another note can i have you vj?
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
have the 6262 head/cab, and for almost a year no probs with this one although the first one I had blew tubes the first day.
it is a great amp that can and does cover about any genre you can think of. the clean channel is awsome and for the money, it is a win win situation.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Quote by edge11
I'm thinking about buying a 1960 but i want to here from more people that have and also wait till i have a bigger cab.
on another note can i have you vj?

Nope, I recently broke out my soldering iron and fixed it. I also put another preamp tube in

Guess I'll have to update my sig..
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

there's a guy on u tube doing jimi on the 1960 sweets!
tone slut

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
jet City 2112 Combo
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Classic Vibe Telecaster
Just get a used 5150/6505 have a bias mod done, then you will have nice clean channel and a much more reliable amp for about the same cost as the bugera.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by Johnbryant
Just get a used 5150/6505 have a bias mod done, then you will have nice clean channel and a much more reliable amp for about the same cost as the bugera.

While that might be true in the USA (although I'm not sure how much the bias mod will cost, might still be more expensive) the cheapest 5150/6505 I've seen here in Finland was 950 euros. A new 6262 will cost 560 euros (including shipping) with a 3-year guarantee (which you won't get when you buy a used amp).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I appreciate the idea, but buying a more expensive amp and then modifying it to compete with a lesser priced amp sounds kinda goofy to me.

I've had the time to read all about the "glitch" on these amps and I've also read that they are now soldering the connector straight to the board rather then using the connector.

I'd rather save the $700 and buy the Bugera amp. It would make more sense to me to buy a cheaper amp and then modify it to sound like a more expensive one. But why would I buy a more expensive amp and then modify it to make it sound like the "cheaper" one.

Sounds like I'm better off buying the Bugera.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
I'm kinda digging Bugera right now, I use to be really against them for the constant maintenance issues, but apparently they have redeemed themselves in that area.

I dig the 333xl's tone also, it's brutal, so brutal I actually spelled it right. I find it hard to believe that it actually has less gain on tap than the 6260/6262, I've watched demos and even with the gain dimed on the 6262 it didn't sound as heavy, might have been the EQ settings? It does make quite a difference and is pretty responsive on those Bugera amps in particular.

They really do seem like the best, or at least some of the best bang for your buck amps out there, plus there's always a satisfaction in buying something that's new, I don't think I'd ever buy a new 6505...unless I hit lotto.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Bought one, experienced a small prob with a loose clip at one point, 15 min fix (that was the first time I have ever opened an amp) and never had a single problem since then. Yes they are a steal for the price and they have awesome tone. They're like Agile, but for amps. The rich kids just have a VERY hard time dealing with that.