My friend is looking for a cheap but good distortion pedal for under $200 or €150?

Thanks
"I want a drink"

"You always want something. In Tibet, if they want something...they give something away"

"Do they? That must be why they are such a dominant global power"

Brought to you by Graham Linehan and Dylan Moran
you say a GOOD distortion under $200.

but $200 is a a huge budget when it comes to distortion, when you have a budget that size you dont look for GOOD you look for EXCELLENT.
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
Yea, your friend's genre is important. However, here are some of my favs:

Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret: Very nice, Marshally and thich tone, pretty versatile, compact, sounds amazing. Very recommended.

ProCo Rat: More fuzzy type distortion, holds up to lots of effects really well. My main distortion when the DLS isn't on.

Fulltone OCD: Never owned one, but played many and they sound great. Warm, capable of good amounts of drive, great tone.

Hipkitty Cream Distortion: Sounds amazing, and such a cool looking pedal. Very good, thick sustain, works well for Black Keys type stuff.

Way Huge Fat Sandwich: I own the Swollen Pickle, and Way Huge does pedals right. Great quality, good sound, good components.

Though I've never played one, the Radial Tonebone series seems to be held in high regards.

Good luck and cheers!

Also, avoid these:
MXR distortions (I personally think every MXR distortion I've played sounds ****e)

Boss distortions (modern) things like the DS-1, etc. Too thin sounding, too expensive for what you get.

XVex Box of Rock: Expensive and far too sensitive to setting changes and weather, much like the Fuzz Factory.
Last edited by Mr. Jiggy Fly at Sep 2, 2009,
the best `distortion`pedal ive played and own is the MI audio crunch box ( 129 $ ) and the quality of the pedal , the knob , construction everything is flawless . hand down the best pedal i own . so much better than a stock lifeless Boss turbo distortion or similar pedal .

but its not a pedal for nu-metal stuff ... theres no scoop mid on that pedal .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Sep 2, 2009,
Yeah I can recommend some real killer pedals your way for that kind of money.

But You need to be a lot more specific about the sounds you're looking for, your current setup, and what you want to do with it.

And I can't recommend you buy any of the nice pedals I have in mind unless your amp is something that you're already very happy with, and you're only looking to expand upon its goodness.

And why don't you (someone up there ^^) like the Z-Vex Fuzz Factory? I'm seriously thinking about buying one now under the impression that there is no other fuzz pedal in this world capable of the sounds that thing possesses. The silk-screened version is like $180, which in my mind, isn't a horrible price to pay for that kind of pedal.
-Mike
Last edited by HopePoisoned at Sep 2, 2009,
mr jiggy fly knocked it out pretty good.

there is also some places like analogman and keeley that offers great mods for pedals, i have been thinking on getting the ds-1 analogman or keeley mod for some years, alas i am lazy. i have heard overwhelmingly good things about the mods they do on tubescreamers, and boss metalzones and od pedals. i personally like running a boost pedal, a od pedal and a fuzz pedal and i would like to add a good distortion pedal. i also run a weird 'crossover distortion' pedal. all in all i consider these pedal to be my 'distortion' section of my pedal board.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
BoR is nice, but sooo overprice, like many Zvex products. However, the Vexter is reasonably priced. I still think it's too sensitive for my taste.

HopePoisoned, the Fuzz Factory is a notoriously sensitive pedal. I was totally going to get one too until I played one a few separate times. It's impossible to keep a good setting, as even things such as temperature can change the tone, sometimes quite drastically.

Hipkitty for the win!
Ok if we're going to just recommend pedals out of our asses...

the next bombshell........

BARBER DIRECT DRIVE!

and

BARBER SMALL FRY

or maybe even

BARBER DIRTY BOMB

even though I have no experience with the last one!!!

or maybe even...God forbid....a pedal from...

dot dot dot

Visual Sound!!
-Mike
Ok...what does he play?

Ah, metal(not too heavy), rock, punk...

He wants something that when your playing and then you decide to take it up a notch that it really performs!

Thanks...is there any one or two in paticular that he should look out for?
"I want a drink"

"You always want something. In Tibet, if they want something...they give something away"

how much is a LovePedal Kanji these days? i believe PGS ship international, ive just never had $200 for one.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Are any of these brands good?

Artec
Boss
Dunlop
MXR
Leem

???

if so any specific models?
"I want a drink"

I do not know how much they go for these days, but the Tonebone Hot British is a great pedal for Hard Rock and some metal
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Quote by Junnage
I do not know how much they go for these days, but the Tonebone Hot British is a great pedal for Hard Rock and some metal

+1 to that, radial make some pretty neat products
russian big muff will cover most grunge/ hard rock tones and its cheap, like under $65
So hes considering the Mi Crunch Box.

What do you think?
"I want a drink"

Quote by BoxerLadABC

What do you think?

Pretty damn nice pedal, less verstile then the Radial Hot British, but still, for the price, it's a great product.
Quote by BoxerLadABC

What do you think?

this is the greatest pedal for Punk rock like green day , allister , fenix tx that ive tried .. this thing as a chunk palm muting i havent find on any pedal yet .

and the quality of the pedal is top notch ) the output and input jack are probably the best ive seen .. really hold the cable in place .

that was my first boutique pedal , but that pedal is totally the sound i was looking for .

** there is 2 verison of the pedal .. the new one( V2) has a internal presence control ... take this one .

if he has 200 $ he can get a mi audio use for around 100-110 and buy another pedal like a big muff with tone wicker for grunge /fuzz type . .

but the mi audio is a hard rock distortion , not metal ... if he want that boogie sounding sound .. the crunch box wont cover that . neither would the Big muff .

. 10/10 for the MI audio crunch box for me .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
i have a boss distortion, its almost good aslong as my noisegate threshhold is maxed.

heres a few ideas...

Lovepedal Kanji/ Kanji Classic
Hardwire Valve Distortion
Hardwire Metal
London Bones
Vox britboost
ibanez jemini
roswell distortions (UK handmade)
DVM pedals (check Duhvoodooman's website, custom made pedals based on BYOC kits)

SilvrSpr.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94
i have a boss distortion, its almost good aslong as my noisegate threshhold is maxed.

heres a few ideas...

Lovepedal Kanji/ Kanji Classic
Hardwire Valve Distortion
Hardwire Metal
London Bones
Vox britboost
ibanez jemini
roswell distortions (UK handmade)
DVM pedals (check Duhvoodooman's website, custom made pedals based on BYOC kits)

SilvrSpr.

Ibanez Jemini is great. Left side boosts for extra "mojo" that may be required for a distorted or overdriven sound. The right side is really badass. It's not the most gainy thing in the world, but it sure has a fair amount of gain on tap.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6