So i intend on picking up a les paul soon, not sure which, either standard or custom. Either way I want to put some more aggressive pickups in it. Any idea? I've heard a lot about EMG's but that just seems like a sin to me. Oh and mostly metal/rock. Not too particular on anything as long as it can take lower tuning and is fairly high output.

Thanks.
Price? Are you talking Gibson or Epiphone? Oh and amp will help too
DO IT LIVE
if you're gonna put EMGs in a Les Paul, you might as well buy an ESP. Much better value
personally i do not like the cold sound the normal EMG 81/85 combo found in most set ups, i my self prefer the LP styled guitar, but i am going to go with the Seymor Duncan Black out set for my samick LP, there is a vid clip of them in action in the guitar world site (have to search for it, Black out should do it) but will give you a good feeling for them since the guy plays them clean, light dirty, heavy dirty, and extreme dirty.

but over all your call since you know what you want. they are active like EMG as well. the SD site has a basic sound clip for them as well,

hope it helps and hope no one gets to angry for the GW site reference, (not Promoting it in any way intentionally)
Bare Knuckle pickups have high outputs, would be aggressive.

Seymour Duncan Invaders? JB/59? Ducan Distortion.

If you wanted to go active id go for SD Blackouts or EMG 81/60 combo.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I'm fancying a pair of Iron Gear Hot Slags for my LP (when I can afford to have it built). They seem to retain a lot of the sound you expect but are high output.
http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_005.htm
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I said I don't really want EMG's in it. I wana get a tube amp soon, prolly something by mesa but as for right now I only have my Cube 30 but the new amp will come in soon after the guitar. And Gibson. Price is really not important considering how expensive the guitar will be but keep it reasonable? Preferably something I can get a hold of in Canada fairly easily.
bareknuckles or stay with gibson products and look into the burstbucker pickups. you could just swap the bridge and have a nice mellow neck with an aggressive bridge. you should be able to test the burstbucker 3 (the most aggressive) because it's in several guitars. i LOVE the pick up in my bfg.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
I would not call the BB3 aggressive in anyway. Nor would I ever go out of my way to spend money on one as a replacement pickup.
Quote by al112987
I would not call the BB3 aggressive in anyway. Nor would I ever go out of my way to spend money on one as a replacement pickup.

+1, it's a fairly tame pickup. I think the Pearly Gates is a higher output pickup plus it's a fair amount more aggressive. Cheaper too.
Anywho, I like the Duncan Distortion.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Thanks guys. Ima look in to BN pickups and the only Duncan I have is a Hotrail so i think i might look into them as well =D
Quote by al112987

true, not necessarily high output, but more of a clear sound. i guess i should have pointed that out it's like a Dimarzio Super Distortion. not the highest output, but it's clear as glass for cleans, so with distortion it'll pick up every little thing you play. makes for an awesome high gain sound, i think

but yeah, if you can get bareknuckles cheap (here in the US they're insanely expensive) go for them.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
true, not necessarily high output, but more of a clear sound. i guess i should have pointed that out it's like a Dimarzio Super Distortion. not the highest output, but it's clear as glass for cleans, so with distortion it'll pick up every little thing you play. makes for an awesome high gain sound, i think

but yeah, if you can get bareknuckles cheap (here in the US they're insanely expensive) go for them.

Um...A super distortion has a LOT more output than a BB3...
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by basilbrush
if you're gonna put EMGs in a Les Paul, you might as well buy an ESP. Much better value

I add to this.
Gibson Dirty Fingers! or a SD Pearly Gates!

and please dont put a active pickup in a les paul! it really defeats the purpose of having a such a nice solid body guitar! put a high output humbucker in there!
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Stratocaster
Taylor 210 Dreadnought Acoustic
Bogner Alchemist 40w 212 Tube combo
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
MXR M-134 Stereo Chorus
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Korg Pitch Black
Quote by LifeIsABullet16

woah woah woah woah... I had a Burstbucker 3 and it measured at slightly under 8.2k. To give any sort of comparison, my Duncan '59 was ~8.4k and my Duncan antiquity bridge was 8.25k.
Quote by al112987
woah woah woah woah... I had a Burstbucker 3 and it measured at slightly under 8.2k. To give any sort of comparison, my Duncan '59 was ~8.4k and my Duncan antiquity bridge was 8.25k.

and where is a super distortion? even with dimarzio's wacky coil wires that have way less resistance than Duncan's the SD is I think around 12k.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
and where is a super distortion? even with dimarzio's wacky coil wires that have way less resistance than Duncan's the SD is I think around 12k.
I think the Dimarzio SD is ~13k.
I don't quite get how he compared a slightly overwound PAF copy to a genuine high output pickup.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
In a les paul I found the SD JB very muddy, maybe because its high output maybe? I dunno, but you don't really need a high output pickuo for metal, just as long as your amp if aggressive let your amp do most of the talking. A high output pickup won't do cleans well, but a medium output will do cleans and metal just fine.

+! to the ESP comment.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ