2 weeks ago i got myself a LP studio faded, it was great. Tried out alot of different guitars, but in the end I enjoyed the LP the most (even tho I was critical before trying it, I hear alot of bad stories about gibson)

But it played so good...

It gets out of tune all the fcking time, its so frustrating, at first i thought it was because it was new, then because I had changed the strings, then I changed the strings again because I thought I restrung them wrong and that would be the problem. But now he still does it, he still goes out of tune all the fcking time. I dont know why, I use a different gauge then in store that might have to do with it, but how would I fix that? I checked intonation already, its all fine.

And my drop d sound power chords have very very poor sound, I really cant put my finger on what the problem is. I tried drop D on the same guitar instore and it was kick ass, so what could have happened...Its not my amp/eq/pedal because I tried my strat over the same stuff and it was brilliant. The Les Paul really sound slike **** atm. Im fcking pissed because I worked my fcking ass off the entire summer to afford it. Is there something I can do? am I overreacting? Please help me, because I feel horrible atm.
did you buy the same one you tried or did you buy it from one of those chain stores that give you a different one from the warehouse?

if you dropped a gauge then that answers the drop D situation. thinner strings aren't so good for drop tuning.

furthermore, it could be the nut, and probably those stock "gibson deluxe" tuners. there's a reason everyone swaps them for grovers
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Sep 2, 2009,
Check the nut. Make sure the strings aren't getting caught...add some graphite possibly.
Ibanez S7320
Peavey 5150 + Mesa 2x12 Rectifier
What do you mean by "all the time"? You should tune the guitar before each time you play. What strings are you using? Are they brand new?
Quote by Blompcube
did you buy the same one you tried or did you buy it from one of those chain stores that give you a different one from the warehouse?

Its the exact same as in the warehouse.

I play 3-5 hours a day. I normally(check) tune my guitar 1-2 during that period. My LP needs to get retuned every 20 mins the last days...

My strings are Ernie ball 11 -48. The warehouse strings were 10-46. Where/what should I be looking for at the nut? I am really bad with guitar tech, getting intonation right is about as far as I can understand stuff...
Last edited by DavidBenyamin at Sep 2, 2009,
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/TonePros-Standard-TuneOMatic-Bridge-Small-Posts-with-Graph-Tech-Saddles?sku=300219

or try something like this. the saddles could be part of the problem, and if it's not the main reason it should help. i'm definitely getting one of these for my LP.

if all else fail take it back to the store. you did JUST get it.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
also check the truss rod, alot of guitars coming out of stores or warehouses need adjustments.
How far out of tune is it drifting?

Does it drift out of tune just sitting in its case, or after doing pitch bends?

Are all the bridge and stop tail tight? Don't break them trying to tighten them, just see if anything moves when you gently apply pressure. Do it both along the axis of the strings and perpendicular to them.

Is the 6th string rattling against the frets with drop D? Have you tried tuning it "normal"?

If you GENTLY apply bending pressure on the neck - like while you are playing a chord, does the pitch change a large amount? If so, the truss rod may need servicing.

The store you bought it in should have set it up properly. If it drifted out of tune with the original strings, they should have caught the problem. Have you taken it back to where you bought it and showed them?
New strings ALWAYS need to stretch and will go out of tune for the first few days whilst they get broken in.

Tuning issues is almost always due to setup and poor stringing (unless it's a very obvious issue like, brand new strings or very very old strings), make sure you did a good job of restringing and are not getting slippage around the tuning posts.

A guitar doesn't play fine in the store and then suddenly not when you bring it home.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 2, 2009,
Quote by DavidBenyamin
Its the exact same as in the warehouse.

My strings are Ernie ball 11 -48. The warehouse strings were 10-46. Where/what should I be looking for at the nut? I am really bad with guitar tech, getting intonation right is about as far as I can understand stuff...

I worded it a bit wrong - what i mean is some shops have a big warehouse or other storage facility where they stock up on a load of guitars. then they have one of each model they stock in the shop for people to play, but if you buy it, they go and get another one out of their warehouse that they give you, which isn't a good idea with gibsons because they all sound and feel very different, even the same model.

i think you could try getting a pencil and drawing in the nut slots (or taking the graphite shavings when you sharpen a pencil and rubbing them into the slots) first, because that could fix the tuning problems, otherwise you're better off taking it to a tech - nut adjustment is not easy

I've heard on the gibson forums that the les paul studios don't like ernie balls or something - but not sure. lots of people complaining about a muddy, rumbly sound.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.