Okay, so my tubes in my head are EXTREMELY old. I mean, like, at least three years. I have been blowing fuses because of it.

Anyway, I left it over at my friend's house for about a month and he said that the fuse blew on it. Yesterday my friend was playing a gig and wanted to borrow it for the show. I said "Okay. We just have to buy some fuses for it."

So, we buy the fuse, go to the show, put the new fuse in, and NOTHING happened. I tried every fuse we bought just to see if it was a bum fuse. None of them worked. What I am mean when I say "nothing" happened is that absolutely nothing happened. The big red light in the front does not come on, the tubes do not light up, nothing. What I am hoping is that the tubes finally just gave out.

My question is: Will a Triple Rectifier still turn on if the tubes are completely shot? Does the power supply run from the wall to the amp, through the fuse, then through the tubes, and then to the rest of the amp? This is the only explanation I can come up with other than my friend blew my amp completely.

I am hoping this is not the case.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by z4twenny
if i wanna fart into a mic, run it thru delay and an auto tuner set to the key of E and set it to a drum beat i can and its music.
...anyone?

Quote by z4twenny
if i wanna fart into a mic, run it thru delay and an auto tuner set to the key of E and set it to a drum beat i can and its music.
If the tubes are three years old AND youve been blowing fuse because of it, Id suggest getting some new tubes brah.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
That is what I am considering. I just do not want to spend the money to get 14 tubes if the amp will not work anyway. That is why I am asking.

Quote by z4twenny
Something smells fishy here. 3 years is not that old for tubes, you make it sound like they are ancient. I have friends who havent changed tubes in their amps for 7+ years and they still work as well as the day they were brand new. Take your amp into a tech....if he thinks tubes need replaced then replace them, but I would suspect you have more going on here than just old tubes.
I changed 8 year old tubes from a Rivera from the 80's, early 90's and the amp was and is working fine. Sure, it could be the tubes but I'd try and get a tech to check it out. If you don't know much about amplifiers in general, I wouldn't risk any do-it-yourself attempts. Take the safe road and see what's up. Good Luck.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
I live in a small town in Oklahoma. We do not have any techs around here that know anything about Mesa. I have already asked the guy at my local music store and he said that he would just end up sending it to someone else.

The reason that I am thinking it is the tubes was because of the extensive wear I have put on them. Gigs and practices and what have you. Lots of gain at high volumes for prolonged periods of time. Like, eight hours straight sometimes. The tubes were barely even lighting up the last time I saw them working.

Quote by z4twenny
Look when your blowing fuses that's a sign that something is not right. So you don't fix it by replacing the fuse. You figure out what is causing the fuse to blow the simplest way is to start by getting new tubes! And if you pop a second fuse. You take it to a tech. You just don't buy more fuses.

What could be wrong? Well you may have popped a grid resister your tubes may be completely shot. What kind of fuse's are you replacing. Are they just 4 amp fuse's or 4 amp Slo-blo fuses? If you were just putting plain old 4 amp fuses back in you may have cooked something in the amp.

Rule of thumb: You wouldn't buy a car and never change the oil. Don't buy a tube amp if you can't afford to change the tubes. Maybe it's time to trade/buy down to an amp with less tubes if you cannot afford a 14 tube change.

/Rant

You don't have to buy all 14 tubes. Blowing fuses sounds like power amp tubes. Unless you have the amp set to tube rectification. Then Your Rectifier tubes Need replaced. Is the amp on Tube recto or silicon diode? If it's on tube have you switched it to diode rectification and still had the same results? What kind of shape is your power cord in? If all else fails put it on diode and buy some new power tubes just 6 tubes not all 14. The Recto tubes do not need to be in for the amp to work if it's switched to diode. Are they 6l6's or el34? If they are El34's it needs to be in tube rectification. If it wasn't you definitely cooked something. Lastly take it to a tech.

Good luck,

Boxedit: Here's a list with numbers of Authorized Mesa repair shop's. True they are 130 miles away. But that will be cheaper than having your local dealer charge you the postage on it.

Norman Music Center 317 W. Gray Norman OK 73069 (405) 321-8300
Dancing Dragon Music 3639 NW 39th St. Oklahoma City OK 73112 (405) 605-6900
Guitar Center 2940 NW 59th St. Oklahoma City OK 73112 (405) 810-9191
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Last edited by boxcarmonument at Sep 2, 2009,
Quote by boxcarmonument
Look when your blowing fuses that's a sign that something is not right. So you don't fix it by replacing the fuse. You figure out what is causing the fuse to blow the simplest way is to start by getting new tubes! And if you pop a second fuse. You take it to a tech. You just don't buy more fuses.

What could be wrong? Well you may have popped a grid resister your tubes may be completely shot. What kind of fuse's are you replacing. Are they just 4 amp fuse's or 4 amp Slo-blo fuses? If you were just putting plain old 4 amp fuses back in you may have cooked something in the amp.

Rule of thumb: You wouldn't buy a car and never change the oil. Don't buy a tube amp if you can't afford to change the tubes. Maybe it's time to trade/buy down to an amp with less tubes if you cannot afford a 14 tube change.

/Rant

You don't have to buy all 14 tubes. Blowing fuses sounds like power amp tubes. Unless you have the amp set to tube rectification. Then Your Rectifier tubes Need replaced. Is the amp on Tube recto or silicon diode? If it's on tube have you switched it to diode rectification and still had the same results? What kind of shape is your power cord in? If all else fails put it on diode and buy some new power tubes just 6 tubes not all 14. The Recto tubes do not need to be in for the amp to work if it's switched to diode. Are they 6l6's or el34? If they are El34's it needs to be in tube rectification. If it wasn't you definitely cooked something. Lastly take it to a tech.

Good luck,

Thank you for the advice. I have been replacing them with Slo-blo fuses and the amp worked fine every time I replaced the fuse, until now. The reason I have just kept replacing the fuses is because I read somewhere on UG that the fuse will blow if the tubes are getting old due to them trying to draw more power to run the tube. I am using the original tubes that came in the amplifier. 6 6L6, 3 Rectifier, 5 12AX7. I am running the amp on Normal Power (Vacuum tubes) instead of High Power (silicon diodes). I was using the High Power setting until I started blowing fuses.

I can afford to buy new tubes for it. I just do not want to waste the money if they are not going to help solve my problem. And there is not a tech within 100 miles that can help me. I have looked.

Quote by z4twenny
Regardless if the tubes are good or not the amp should power on, there are more fuses inside the amp that are probably whats blown. I find it very odd that your amp won't power on at all, sounds like a fuse more than any thing. In the future, if your amp blows a fuse once replace it, if it blows agian in the next 30 days, you probably got ethier some power tubes or rectifier tubes on their way out, replace them and then replace the fuse. If you don't want to break your amp, you are going to need new tubes even if you can get it to power on, blowing fuses=your amps telling you about a problem.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
sounds liek the power transformer might have bit the dust
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Okay. I guess I will just buy new tubes and see what happens.

Thank you all for the advice. This has been driving me crazy since last night.

Quote by z4twenny
^if your amp would not power up with the old tubes, it will not power up with the new ones.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
hmmm, I think a power supply problem with the transformer or possible a short. You can have tubes tested to see what ones are shot and save $