I just bought a Schecter Omen-6 and want to replace the pickups. I love to play metal, but soon I will probably have to be playing worship at my church. So I need a pickup that sounds really heavy and crunchy on distortion, but still sounds good clean. I've been deciding between the Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded set (with the SH-2 Jazz model and SH-4), the Seymour Duncan Blackouts, The EMG Zakk Wylde set (with the 81 and 85), and the Seymour Duncan Distortion Mayhem SH-6 Humbucker Pair. I will diffidently be playing more metal than worship, but I still need that good clean sound. So which of these do you think will be better? Oh and just in case this is relevant, I have a Peavey Vyper 15 watt amp. (I'm a beginner)
Get a new amp first.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
I'd go for the passive Duncan's personally.

Passive's, generally, have better cleans. Also, active pickups (especially EMG's) do not sound good if not played through a tube amp.

My personal suggestion would be instead of going for new pickups, try to get a new amp (if you are up to it) first.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
scratch the emg's and the blackouts only since they are active, i (since i love SD) would go with the JB in the bridge and either the jazz (for a brighter sound) or the 59' (for a lower sound), any distortion type PU i would assume are gonna be gainy in the clean channels, unless you are using some kind of EQ adjust the cleans more. but eh what do i know.
Quote by Junnage
I'd go for the passive Duncan's personally.

Passive's, generally, have better cleans. Also, active pickups (especially EMG's) do not sound good if not played through a tube amp.

My personal suggestion would be instead of going for new pickups, try to get a new amp (if you are up to it) first.

Which passive duncans? The Mayhems or the Hot Rodded set. As for the amp, I really can't get too loud (parents). And I do enjoy the sounds I can get out of this one. So I think I'll get pickups first, but I do plan on getting a new amp in the future.
If you were going to do duncans the SH-2 and SH-4 would be your best bet. I have SH-6 in my older schecter, which is the exact same as yours, and they sound muddy, and are pretty noisy. If you are considering the EMG, look at Blackouts, or passives in that range, the PRS HFS and Dragon series.

edit: since i see what the amp is, scratch the actives.
Gear:
Blackstar HT-5 Half Stack
Damage control Solid Metal
Boss Flanger
Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron+
Dunlop 535Q Wah
General Guitar Gadgets ITS8 Overdrive
Marshall MS-4 Ministack

Guitars:

PRS Custom 24

Washburn D10 Quilted Bubinga
Last edited by Chevelle454 at Sep 2, 2009,
Quote by Pan-Head
Which passive duncans? The Mayhems or the Hot Rodded set. As for the amp, I really can't get too loud (parents). And I do enjoy the sounds I can get out of this one. So I think I'll get pickups first, but I do plan on getting a new amp in the future.

I would suggest the SH-2 and SH-4, as the person above me stated.

My personal favorite combo is SH-2 and TB-4, but that's just me (and coincidentally Dave Mustaine and Marty Friedman as well)
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
I'd go with the Distortion/Jazz combo.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened

Praise, this man knows what he's talking about. This is actually probably a better suggestion than the SH-2/SH-4 combo.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Quote by Junnage
Also, active pickups (especially EMG's) do not sound good if not played through a tube amp.

Not strictly true. When played through a decent SS amp EMGs can sound good, although not as good as through a tube. Sadly in this case i doubt they would.
Quote by oneblackened

So an SH-6 at the bridge and SH-2 at the neck?
Quote by matt_0_5
Not strictly true. When played through a decent SS amp EMGs can sound good, although not as good as through a tube. Sadly in this case i doubt they would.

Generally true. But most people usually only end up using low end of the spectrum solid states, which sound awful with EMG's and actives. But agreed, Decent and good SS amps with EMGS can sound good.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
My .02.

Get a clean, fat sounding neck pickup, something like a Duncan Alnico II Pro. This will work well for the church music on clean, and provide a creamy overdrive when driven.

For bridge, you'll want something aggressive but not necessarily way high gain. I would definitely disregard the EMGs, and maybe consider a Dimarzio Evolution. These are very musical, and handle a variety of applications well.

Or, as others have said, you could get a new amp and not need to worry about your pickups since an upgraded amp would really liven up your tone.
My favorite i've had so far are the Dragon II's in my PRS.

However a JB/59 duncan set is always nice.