Am having trouble deciding which LP to get. They each can be had for around £1300. Are there any other contenders which are similar to these two guitars?

Tokai LS230

Solid Mahogany 1 piece body
Book matched AAA maple flame top - 2 Piece
Deep joint set neck mahogany, 1 piece
Headstock Angle 18 degrees
Nitro Cellulose finish
Rosewood finger board - radius 300R
Scale 625/312.5mm
Aluminum tail piece
Brass bridge
Gotoh SD90-SL Tuners
PAF mk 2 pick ups - Made in Japan
Switch craft 3 way toggle
Switch craft jack socket
CTS Volume pots
Bone Nut - 43mm
Sprague “Black Beauty" Condensers

ESP Eclipse I

Construction: Set Neck
Scale: 24.75 in.
Body: Solid Mahogany Body with 2 Piece Maple Top
Neck: 3 Piece Mahogany Neck - Thin U Shape
Fretboard: Rosewood
Nut: Bone Nut - 42mm
Inlays: Flag Inlays
Binding: Custom Binding around the body neck and headstock
Pickups: Seymour Duncan APH-1 (B) / APH-1 (N) Reverse Zebra
Electronics: Vol / Vol / Tone / Tone / Toggle (with push-push coil split)
Hardware: Chrome
Tuners: Sperzel Locking Tuners
Bridge: Gotoh
Im an eclipse guy but thatn tokai looks pretty ****ing sweet

Tokai for vintage

ESP for modern

Love richtone music btw
ESP Eclipse I CTM FR (KGC BRASS BLOCK + IronGear Blues Engine + Dirty Torque + BCS Wiring Kit
Jet City Fusion

Blackstar S1-104 EL34

Engl Standard 4x12 (V60's)

Korg PitchBlack
ZCAT Delay-Reverb
Snarling Dogs Whine-O-Wah
Personally i'd go for the Tokai. I had an eclipse with locking tuners and when i changed the string guage no re setup could reverse the horrible action.
The Tokai

The finish on that ESP is horrible IMO
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
i love the looks of them both. you could also get a gibby lp studio for that price. you could also check out some high-end epi's. they released a few new ones, one of which is basically a gibson with "epiphone" written on the headstock. called Epiphone '59 Les Paul.

and IMO, i'd get the ESP there.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
ESP Eclipse
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Just because a daewoo dealership has a tune-up service doesn't mean that the ****ers know what they're doing (no offense to anyone who drives a daewoo. pleas don't torture your little one cylinder engines to mow my lawn and bump into me)
Quote by rooster456
Tokai. 1 piece Mohogany? No contest. Plus Nitro finish and PAF's.

+1 another vote for the Tokai.
Well the ESP is slightly more flexible with the coil tap.

The Tokai is one piece and nitrocellulose...

I have zero experience with Tokai, and that finish on the ESP is pretty damn ugly.

So if you can find it in a different finish, the ESP. Hotter pickups and flexibility.
Surely the two above guitars would be streets ahead of any Epiphone LP.

Quote by flanders_91
i love the looks of them both. you could also get a gibby lp studio for that price. you could also check out some high-end epi's. they released a few new ones, one of which is basically a gibson with "epiphone" written on the headstock. called Epiphone '59 Les Paul.

Once I shaved them on a friends razor so when he picked it up he just goes "ARE THESE PUBES! OH MY GOD!" and starting beating the crap out of me.
Quote by flanders_91

are you kidding me? get this BS out of here...

a Gibson les paul studio will not be better than the Tokai. I can say that w/ 99% certainty.

and an Epiphone? Are you serious? Fact. You have never played one of the new Epiphones, are you really going to call it "basically a Gibson with Epiphone written on the headstock"? I prefer to call it an Epiphone with high end pickups and '59 in front of the name being charged for a premium.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 2, 2009,
IMO the Tokai
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
The guitar that feels better in your hands.

If they both feel equally as nice, and are on par, then the cheaper one.
Ibanez S540

MXR EVH Phaser
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez WD-7
Electro Harmonix LPB-1

Traynor YCS 50 Blue
i have no experience with ESP but my Japanese Tokai is the best purchase I have ever made if that helps
Tokai hands down. In the 230 range, the Tokais start to get into Gibson Custom Historic territory. Hell, I would take that 230 over an R9 les paul any day.
Gear:
Fender Deluxe Player's Strat
Fender American Deluxe Telecaster
Gibson Special Faded SG
Tokai LS-80QZ
Tokai Talbo A-130SH
Duesenberg Starplayer TV Outlaw
Takamine EG530SSC
Peavey Classic 50 410
that ESP looks amazing... just... wow. i'd go with that. ESPECIALLY if the one in the picture in the first post is the exact guitar you'd be buying. that finish and binding just look like a million bucks.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
You aren't considering Edwards?

Between those two, the Tokai would edge out the Eclipse I (narrowly) but an Edwards might win.

No Navigators in there?
Quote by al112987
are you kidding me? get this BS out of here...

a Gibson les paul studio will not be better than the Tokai. I can say that w/ 99% certainty.

and an Epiphone? Are you serious? Fact. You have never played one of the new Epiphones, are you really going to call it "basically a Gibson with Epiphone written on the headstock"? I prefer to call it an Epiphone with high end pickups and '59 in front of the name being charged for a premium.

+1, to be honest.

Quote by Jiro from GLAY
I already have an Edwards, so no more Edwards.

yeah, to be honest, i reckon that tokai will be nicer than an edwards, any i've tried, anyway. I know the tokai I tried at about a grand, which I imagine wasn't even as high-end a model as that one, was nicer than my edwards. plus at the moment edwardses are poor value if you're importing, you could end up paying almost as much for an edwards, especially if you get caught by customs (which you probably will).

i guess you could look into things like bacchus etc. if you're willing to import. I haven't tried them, though, just heard good things. I think things like navigators (haven't tried those either ) will be well over budget with the current exchange rate.

as everyone else has been saying, the tokai will be more vintage in style, the esp more modern.

you could try asking on the tokai forum or japanaxe to see if they can think of any other options...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?