no jordan tone but his tone in songs like
-padmasana
-sail on soothsayer
-aunt suzie (space cadillac)
-fractal shadows

i know about the ultimate tone settings thread but only his regular shred tone was explained. my gear is a gibson SG and a marshall jvm 205. Some hints (like roll back volume knob) would be apreciated

thanks
Buckethead's tone is as much a mystery as the man himself. For his live shows, Buckethead uses a Mesa Triple Rectifier (but recently switched to the Stiletto Trident, I believe) however, no one really knows what he uses on record. Try turning down your gain, rolling back the volume knob, experimenting with pickup selection, etc.

Another big part of Buckethead's sound is his guitar - a heavily modded Gibson Les Paul, with two killswitches (as of this moment) and DiMarzio pickups.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Sep 2, 2009,
Based on what I'm hearing in "Sail On Soothsayer"

DISCLAIMER: I'M USING MY LES PAUL, so the tone will probably be different.

Use overdrive, not distortion.
For the rhythm tone, Use your neck pickup. I'd probably turn your volume just a touch, and adjust your tone knob to your taste.

For the lead part, he is switching parts. The part that sounds "quacky" is on the bridge pickup. The part that sounds thicker is on the neck pickup. For the bridge pickup tone, I would suggest your volume pickup at full and tone to about 4-6 (adjust to taste). The neck tone would be the same as the rhythm tone, except with the tone knob towards 3-5 and the volume full.

For the quacky part, if it's too quacky, you can always try to use both pickups. Bridge volume: 10 Neck Volume: 7 and roll both tones to 5-7.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Its in his fingers
ESP Eclipse I CTM FR (KGC BRASS BLOCK + IronGear Blues Engine + Dirty Torque + BCS Wiring Kit
Jet City Fusion

Blackstar S1-104 EL34

Engl Standard 4x12 (V60's)

Korg PitchBlack
ZCAT Delay-Reverb
Snarling Dogs Whine-O-Wah
Quote by Beffyyy
Its in his fingers

Nope.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I replicated his tone almost spot on with my gear, and tweaking everything. Use my "settings" if you will, as a reference point. But your fingers do make up some of the tone.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
He uses a delay a lot. On it slower stuff it is just more to add a really spacey kind of sound. Definitely invest in a delay if you are looking for his tone.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
Quote by Junnage
I replicated his tone almost spot on with my gear, and tweaking everything. Use my "settings" if you will, as a reference point. But your fingers do make up some of the tone.

where do i find your "settings"?
thanks for bothering to reply
Quote by lt mittens
where do i find your "settings"?
thanks for bothering to reply

The ones that I wrote higher up in this thread. Or are you looking for EQ controls?
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Quote by Junnage
The ones that I wrote higher up in this thread. Or are you looking for EQ controls?

yes actually
Quote by Beffyyy
Its in his fingers

Fail.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I roll back the volume and tone a bit. His tone sounds mostly clean, but when he picks harder it gets pushed into the dirty sound. I don't have a tube amp, so all I get is "distortion" but I think this comes through overdrive (as mentioned above).

The delay is fairly quiet, but adds a lot of depth to the sound.
Last edited by black_box at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by lt mittens
yes actually

What kind of amp do you have?
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Quote by Beffyyy
Its in his fingers

+1

These fingers

+

this amp

(Invalid img)

Simply amazing tone......

I dont even know why the man uses Mesa's I mean come on have you heard sail on soothsayer through a Gorilla amp. Breath taking dynamics and tone with sustain for days......

TS
As for his tone its far from guitar straight into amp to cab. The key to his tone is effects he is running in line. His underlying tone is standard and run of the mile its the layers he puts ontop that make him really stand out. Find those and you find his tone.
Quote by Raijouta
Buckethead's tone is as much a mystery as the man himself. For his live shows, Buckethead uses a Mesa Triple Rectifier (but recently switched to the Stiletto Trident, I believe) however, no one really knows what he uses on record. Try turning down your gain, rolling back the volume knob, experimenting with pickup selection, etc.

Another big part of Buckethead's sound is his guitar - a heavily modded Gibson Les Paul, with two killswitches (as of this moment) and DiMarzio pickups.

He also uses a Baritone version with a mahogany neck i think, anyway it's super huge and heavy...
Quote by Junnage
What kind of amp do you have?

it's in my first post, a marshall jvm 205