So here I am with a finished recording studio set up in my home, that has been being built for the last 2 months... and here I am with no recording EQUIPMENT... yeah, i know, fail.

I have been writing a list of some mics but need help with the following.

The BEST mics for recording:

Shinny Ride Cymbal
Chinas
Bass Amps
Guitar Tube Amps (with a load of distortion)

My budget is very high but forbids me to pay more then $1,000 per microphone.

Thanks everyone
Guitars:
ESP Kirk Hammet KH-2 (The real deal )
Gibson 1979 L.E. Explorer
Gibson SG Standard - FOR SALE
ESP LTD DJ-600 - FOR SALE
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 Kerry King Signature Half Stack
Marshall MG100HDFX Half Stack
Peavy VYPYR
Crate GFX-65
As far as guitar mics I would say a Shure sm57 and a Sennheiser e609
for cymbals I would go with some Neumanns
and for a bass amp I like throwing a Shure Beta52 to really get the low end
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Schecter Gryphon
Fender American Strat
Taylor T5 Custom
www.facebook.com/fadeoutproductions
Quote by CatharsisStudio
what interfaces/ pre/ converters are you running? i can help you out with this

Preamps I havn't considered my options yet, because I didn't think it made much of a difference... just phantom power, correct?

As for the interface I was leaning towards the Digi 001, but I can't seem to find one anywhere... I prefer getting a Mac G4 Tower w/ Dual Core to work with, so I can use an older version of Pro Tools because the new versions, frankly, are crap and only improved on cosmetics.

Maybe you could also help me out with an interface?
Guitars:
Amps:
Peavy VYPYR
Crate GFX-65
Bump. I need to know most of em by 9 PM tonight
Guitars:
Amps:
Peavy VYPYR
Crate GFX-65
Quote by ESPearl
Bump. I need to know most of em by 9 PM tonight

sm57 for micing a guitar amp.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-ProFire-2626?sku=241817
this is an 8 input interface, and its fire wire so you could always get another for more inputs.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Digidesign-003-Factory-Complete?sku=703547
if you have the cash get this interface, comes with pretty much every pro tools plug in. if you dont want to use protools than just get the one without the extras.

ive heard rode nt1a's are good for cymbal overheads. ive heard an audix d6 is good for kick drums, im sure it would be good for a bass cab.
also jsyk, you dont usually mic individual cymbals, you set up a left and right overhead mics.
Do you know what is good for Hi-Hats and rides bro?
Guitars:
Amps:
Peavy VYPYR
Crate GFX-65
Quote by MetalBass 77

also jsyk, you dont usually mic individual cymbals, you set up a left and right overhead mics.

I know you don't but I have 2 for mid overhead one left and one right, for my double bass kit which is expetionally wide. I wanted to know if there is a SPECIFIC one good for china cymbals, because all my chinas are on my right.

SORRY FOR DOUBLE POST ALL~~~
Guitars:
Amps:
Peavy VYPYR
Crate GFX-65
hmmm, i think you should strive to have the same mic for all the overheads, ride is under the over heads as is hi-hats, although you can mic a hi-hat, i dont know how often its done. so id have two over heads then one mic far back in the room to get the "room" sound.
bass amps you'll probably want a kick drum mic, something like an AKG d112 or a Shure Beta 52,

Hats - Audio Technica AT4041, same with ride if you really need it, but with decent overheads I doubt you will

Overheads - AKG C414 can't really be beaten in the price range, and I doubt $1000 would get you new Neumanns

Guitar cabs - although the sm57 is good on a budget, you should look into the Sennheiser MD441 if you can afford to go up to $1000 per mic.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
okay. if you get the profire plese do the digi 01 ****ing blows

get the profire.

you can get this used on ebay for less than 600 in bstock condition i got mien, and its flawless

8 channels isn't enough so either get the m-audio octave which is about 500 bucks to allow you to have 16 channels via adat but it also has the same preamps has the profire so your in good shape

or the behringer ada8000 200 bucks okay pres okay converters like the firepod pretty much

then here is my conscenus about the drum mics that your gonna want

if you can do 1000$ a mic thats pretty legit but i am gonna save you some moneyz

Overheads: go with the RODE nt5s because rode has an offer with sweetwater that if you buy any rode mic you get a free m series mic which sounds great on the highhat, (the m3)

rodes sound pretty good

the other options of ohs are the sm81s they are 375 a peice your gonna need 2 of em for micing your cymbals

snare: 2x sm57s because 57s are great mics, and you always need alot of them

toms:
A. Seheiser 604s (if your running low on cash I use em, and love em 375 for the whole pack or something like that)
b. Senheiser 904s (the better version)
C. senheiser md421 (used on a **** ton of metal albums its about 375 a mic)

kick: audix d6 and a beta 52, because you need to mic the insde of the kick as well as the out side

ride and hat : any pencil condenser i'd go for the audia technica at4041sp1 it comes with 2 audia technia at4041 which you cna use as your overheads to and use the 81s on the hats and ****

room mics: (BIG PART OF YOUR EPIC DRUM SOUND) 2x audia technica 3035s they are good vocal mics to 115 bucks a peice sounds great if you do a space pair

but to truely get that big drum sound were gonna need more than 8 channels

so i made you an input map to give you an idea

so

ch1: kick ( beta 52
ch2: snare top ( sm57
ch3: tom1 ( 904)
ch4: tom2 (904
ch5:tom 3 (904
ch:6: OH L (sm81)
ch7 OH R (sm81)
ch8: bottom snare (sm 57)
if you go adat with the behringer or octane pre
ch9: Hat ( 4041
ch10: ride ( 4041
ch11: room mic L ( at 3035 or the at4040)
ch12: room mic R (at3035 or the at4040)
ch13: kick beater ( d6)
ch14:china (if you want)
ch:15 talk back
ch16: guitar if you want o jam along

you really can't **** that up if you have that set up
Last edited by CatharsisStudio at Sep 3, 2009,
also all your mics can be used in various applications, the 57s are epic on guitars d6 is great on bass

then for vocals go ahead and try the audia technica at4040

now time to treat your self to some pure ****ing excelence if you have 2,000 left to blow go pick up an API a2d ****ING EPIC CONVERTER/PRE AMP its 2 channels so run your overheads through it when you track drums. you guitars when you track guitars and vocals when you track voxs haha
Ok everyone here is what I got so far that I'm almost positive on.

BASS DRUM : AKG D 112
3 OVERHEAD TOM TOMS : ???
SNARE : SHURE SM57
HI HAT : NEUMANN KM 184
RIDE : NEUMANN KM 184
OVERHEAD : two addition AKG C 1000 S (I already have two)

I have also made a descision based on the computer I am using... I would STILL go with the Digi 001, because the sound quality is no different from the 003.

ADDTION TO THE 001 : Presonus DigiMAX 96K... this would add enough channels for me to record and entire band, and I could run it direct into the Mac Tower.

Also for mixers, I personally think the new Mackie's are terrible, so I am leaning towards a Mackie PPM1012
Guitars:
Amps:
Peavy VYPYR
Crate GFX-65
BASS DRUM : AKG D 112

Have fun with that turd.

3 OVERHEAD TOM TOMS : ???

As has been mentioned by Catharsis, somebody who I know for a fact has experience and skills to say so, e604's are great for $375 on a 3-pack, in blind shoot-outs people have consistently picked e604's over MD421's. Your taste may vary, but judging by the rest of your thread here, your taste is really inexperienced and gullible to chodes giving you shoddy info.

SNARE : SHURE SM57

The ONLY thing you picked that you can't ever go wrong with.

HI HAT : NEUMANN KM 184
RIDE : NEUMANN KM 184
OVERHEAD : two addition AKG C 1000 S (I already have two)

Whatever.

I have also made a descision based on the computer I am using... I would STILL go with the Digi 001, because the sound quality is no different from the 003.

Uh, the 003 is a HUGE leap over the 001. You're a moron for believing that, and so is the person that told you that.

ADDTION TO THE 001 : Presonus DigiMAX 96K... this would add enough channels for me to record and entire band, and I could run it direct into the Mac Tower.

I lol'ed. Can do a lot better for less money than you paid for that...

Also for mixers, I personally think the new Mackie's are terrible, so I am leaning towards a Mackie PPM1012

Sigh.

I'm actually really surprised, you ask for advice, then do what you want anyway. Regardless of someone well qualified to give the advice giving you a rundown of essential things you need to start off with good sounds.

Whatever, I hope you have fun toying around with a rig that is 50% pure ****.
Quote by CatharsisStudio
But He Has Nuemann His Drum Sowend Must Be Siqqq

ESpearl listen to this guy. Even if your not making a metal record he still knows a s***load about recording. he typed that huge ass list and you just seemed to ignore it?? also you dont need a mixer if you have an iterface, an interface replaces the mixer.

to quote catharis "Do you even know what you are doing?"

also you pay SO much just for the name digidesign. seriously just take catharis' advice into hand. Im just glad a couple of the mikes i recommended were on his list