I'm considering buying an ISP Decimator, but I'm still not sure all it exactly does.
Currently, I'm running a HSS Squire Strat (I think i might be getting an ESP Mh1000 soon) straight into a Peavey 5150 212 combo amp. I use the onboard distortion, and this causes a lot of noise.

First-
When the amp is on, and the volume of my guitar is down all the way, the amp makes alot of noise. I call my amp "The Ocean" because, well, thats exactly what it sounds like.
Would the ISP help get rid of that noise?

Second-
I play in a metal band and our songs require us to have "clean stops" when we're playing breakdowns. However, my amp seems to just feedback and his when I'm not playing notes.
The ISP serves as a noise gate, so wouldnt it get rid of that too?

Thirdly-
Hypothetically, if I was to start using a distortion pedal wouldnt the ISP get rid of the sound caused by that?

One last thing, in one review of the ISP a man recommended getting a Furman Power Conditioner. I was wondering how exactly do those work and what do they do.

Thank you for any and all help you may provide, I just wanted to make sure my understanding of the pedal was right before i bought it.
))
To get rid of hiss (the ocean) put it in your FX loop.
To get rid of feedback, put it in front of your amp.

If you want to squash both, look into the G-String version.
The ISP decimator is a noise gate, so it'd get rid of any hum or hiss while playing. You can use these while using high gain, it just takes out the hum, some sound gates can mess around with your tone.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Oosh. at Sep 2, 2009,
1. Yes if it is in the F/X loop.
2. Yes it will stop the feedback
3. Yes it will stop the increased feedback your going to get when not playing with the distortion pedal on.

A furman power conditioner just makes sure your amp is getting steady clean voltage. If your at a club with bad wiring or voltage drops and spikes a power conditioner just makes sure your amp is getting 120V constantly.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
I read up on the ISP Decimator G String, but I just dont get it I guess. I get a ton of feedback from my Maz 38 when playing with my Taylor T5. A lot of this comes from the T5 being a semi-hollow. I also get the typical levels of hum from having my Maz cranked. I read up on the G string and looked at pictures of the inputs, but I dont get how I would hook it up to reduce both feedback and hum. My Maz does have an FX loop. Could someone please run me through, cable by cable, how I would set this thing up to reduce both feedback and hum?
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
^ah thank you. so from what I understand...

Guitar Out --> Amp Input
FX loop send --> Decimator In
FX loop return --> Decimator Out

and that setup will help reduce noise and feedback at the same time?

Has anyone tried this with a semi-hollow like the T5? Would it help reduce feedback even with a guitar like that?

Im honestly not that worried about the hum since it is bearable.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce