Is my technique wrong, or am I just not use to it? Started today on power chords.
Are you playing sitting down with the guitar resting on your right knee? Becuase if so you're probably pointing the instrument too much ''forwards'' which throws you wrist into an odd angle. Either make the guitar point to the left, utterly parallel with your body, or sit in classical position.
^
This could be it, or it could just be that any people also get some discomfort when playing power chords (and many other chords) for the first time.
It depends on how you're playing them, is your thmb behind the neck, near the middle? are your fingers curled? If they are, then you're playing them properly, you just neeed to practice more, and develop more strength to be able to play them without any pain.
Quote by zincabopataurio
It depends on how you're playing them, is your thmb behind the neck, near the middle? are your fingers curled? If they are, then you're playing them properly, you just neeed to practice more, and develop more strength to be able to play them without any pain.

This.
Quote by dylanfromearth
you should avoid power chords anyway

your joking right?

you do realize that power chords are using in like 75% of modern music.

Ok that number is probably wrong honestly. But power chords are used ALOT in modern music. Simply because they sound better through a distored or highly overdriven amp then normal chords.

seriously go look at almost any classic rock song, or any modern metal, or frigen almost any song that has a bit of distortion or overdriven sound. Power chords, all of em.

I'd honestly argue that powerchords are by far the most used thing in music.
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
Last edited by Dragonis at Sep 2, 2009,
Quote by dylanfromearth
you should avoid power chords anyway

You sir, are a cretin.

Some information you might need :

From http://thesaurus.reference.com/

Main Entry: cretin
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: obnoxious stupid person
Synonyms: creep, fool, idiot, imbecile, loser, moron

For the threadstarter:

Sounds like you have bad posture. You need to look up Freepower's youtube videos, I believe you can find a link in his sig. (bottom part of his posts, JIC)
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Sep 2, 2009,
it could be that your overstreching your wrist and ya power chords are used in basically any kind of music that is played on electric guitar
Originally Posted by TeenBite
Pfft, you all with your big shredding solos. I just play pinch harmonics, then play the same note again without a pinch harmonic. Everyone is like "teh fook?!".
Quote by -Collapse-
^
This could be it, or it could just be that any people also get some discomfort when playing power chords (and many other chords) for the first time.

This. When I started playing simple Green Day songs, my technique was pretty good, almost perfect (maybe not, but you know what I mean). It's just your chops, work on it for a bit and it will stop. Just think, you're building some nice forearm muscle there