I've had the chance to record thru a M-Audio Fast Track Pro, and there was a bit of latency, however saw they have this one which has a usb 2.0 interface.

Any opinions?
Quote by JockVSJock
I've had the chance to record thru a M-Audio Fast Track Pro, and there was a bit of latency, however saw they have this one which has a usb 2.0 interface.

Any opinions?

i own it my self and its pretty good. only problem is that it has a decent amount of issues with my computer. for me to record without pops and clicks i have to disable my wireless internet card, and that was after completely optimizing my computer for recording. overall its good, but if you have the extra cash go with a firewire, its overall faster and its not connected to all the hardware in the computer such as usb 2.0.
I'm using Macbook Pro with OS X 10 (Leopard), what type of OS and are you using a pc or laptop?
I'm not sure about the Ultra, but I have a FTP and I hate it. It's impossible to record things without the sound dropping or the samplrate randomly changing. If I had the money i'd get firewire.
Quote by JockVSJock
I'm using Macbook Pro with OS X 10 (Leopard), what type of OS and are you using a pc or laptop?

im using windows xp,desktop,3 gigs of ram,1.9 ghz duo CPU, and an external hard drive. i still highly suggest some type of firewire set up. mac book pro is a really nice laptop.
My Mac does have Firewire port, however I though USB 2 (480 mbps) was faster...

BTW, I bought the laptop used/refurbished, directly from Apple. Probably the best way to go.
Quote by JockVSJock
My Mac does have Firewire port, however I though USB 2 (480 mbps) was faster...

BTW, I bought the laptop used/refurbished, directly from Apple. Probably the best way to go.

in theory usb 2.0 can be faster than firewire, but firewire pumps out a more consistent higher speed. Plus you dont have as many hardware issues with firewire. usb 2.0 is still very good, just that firewire is prob a bit better and makes me wish i got a firewire interface.
I have a Fast Track Ultra and the aluminum Macbook without the firewire port, it seems to work great so far. but if you have the opportunity to buy a firewire interface, get the firewire one.
Yea, the 400mbps vs 480mbps debate can be confusing. On paper, with only that, it seems that USB 2.0 is faster than firewire 400, but the actual speed isn't as simple as that. The thing that makes the difference is the way they transfer. Firewire is a stream, whereas USB is like a packet transfer.

If USB 2.0 really were better than firewire, then you wouldn't have firewire devices that can record 16-32 tracks simultaneously, where with USB you're lucky to get 2-4 without problems.

Don't let the 400 vs 480 fool you. However USB 3 is on the horizon, and it's going to blow pretty much everything out of the water from what I've read about it.

Anyway, on the original topic, I've never used the FTU so I can't really say. I'm hesitant to trust an 8-input USB device.