Page 1 of 2
Ever since I startedplaying guitar, I wanted a sound like Jack White. Simply put, anyone know which efffects and pedals would help me achieve that?

My gear:

Ibanez Jet King 3
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Distortion pedal.
Damn you got a Spider 4?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
if you want to sound like jack white, stop learning how to play guitar... keep a very basic knowledge of playing... then buy a fuzz pedal (fuzz face or fuzz factory) and hide your lack of skill with ridiculous feedback...

(I'm not a hater of the White Stripes or Raconteurs... I just think he gets way more credit than he deserves)
Quote by theGlitch
if you want to sound like jack white, stop learning how to play guitar... keep a very basic knowledge of playing... then buy a fuzz pedal (fuzz face or fuzz factory) and hide your lack of skill with ridiculous feedback...

(I'm not a hater of the White Stripes or Raconteurs... I just think he gets way more credit than he deserves)

+1 Except I hate the guy.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Im sorry, but why would anyone want to sound like him?
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by Dust_to_Dust
Im sorry, but why would anyone want to sound like him?

Because his tone is quite fun to mess around with at times. Fuzz's in general can be a nice break from the everyday standard chuga or blues tone.
Quote by theGlitch

Eh, sorry, but no. He might get more credit than he deserves (I only really like what he did in Seven nation army and the bond theme), but he's a good guitarist IMO. You try using such a pedal and playing so clearly.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
He is in the Raconteurs? I thought they just ripped him off real bad.

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
To answer the question: get a big muff pi nyc model. That's like 90% of his sound.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
American Big Muff. Fender Twin Reverb/Sears Silvertone. Digitech Whammy.

He's also got some other pedals and he uses a couple other amps in the studio, but the gear listed is what he uses the most.
Quote by Sid McCall
To answer the question: get a big muff pi nyc model. That's like 90% of his sound.

This+ overdriven tube amp. I.E. it's hard to do it with the spider.

Quote by theGlitch

Why not say that, to play Bob Dylan, you have to forget everything you know about guitar and throw out your electric stuff

****ing a
Quote by imgooley

Why not say that, to play Bob Dylan, you have to forget everything you know about guitar and throw out your electric stuff

And forget how to sing (I find Bob Dylan's voice extremely annoying, lol)
A First-Act Gretsch copy and a Wal-Mart amp would probably do ya good for Jack White's tone. I honestly don't get why guys like him and Neil Young have 500 pedals and amps to produce such a simple, ****ty tone.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Guitar with shorter scale + bridge single coil + Big Muff + Cranked non master volume Tube amp with a bunch of 10" speakers.

Tone is also in hte hands. Worth on your Vibrato as well as being really tight with chord changes...
I like Jack White. I think he's tremendously original, but his guitar tone, in a standalone context, is crap. But it fits his style of music well, which is more important than how it sounds by itself. I honestly think a lot of the subtle stuff that many guitar players fuss over with their tone just gets lost in the band, anyway. Waste of time constantly chasing perfect tone, imo.
Quote by ConfederateAxe
A First-Act Gretsch copy and a Wal-Mart amp would probably do ya good for Jack White's tone. I honestly don't get why guys like him and Neil Young have 500 pedals and amps to produce such a simple, ****ty tone.

And what, pray tell, is your conception of good tone?

And First Act doesn't have a Gretsch copy. And they also happen to make some of the best quality professional instruments available, used by musicians like Brent Hinds of Mastodon, Adam Levine of Maroon 5, Serj Tankian of System of a Down, Matt Pike of High on Fire and Sleep, Hugh McDonald of Bon Jovi, and many, many more.

Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
And forget how to sing (I find Bob Dylan's voice extremely annoying, lol)

I do to, but it's an annoyance that grows on you. Like Neil Young or Jimi Hendrix. Or Robert Plant.
Quote by ConfederateAxe
I like Jack White. I think he's tremendously original, but his guitar tone, in a standalone context, is crap. But it fits his style of music well, which is more important than how it sounds by itself. I honestly think a lot of the subtle stuff that many guitar players fuss over with their tone just gets lost in the band, anyway. Waste of time constantly chasing perfect tone, imo.

Like I said, what is good tone to you? I really like that overbearing fuzz tone, because it fits the music that I play. Tone is subservient to music, and tone without context, IMO, is just noise.
The hardest part of his sound to get right is a sweet overdriven fender tube amp, you might have some luck with something like a boss sd-1. Other than that, can't go wrong with a NYC muff
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by imgooley
. Tone is subservient to music, and tone without context, IMO, is just noise.

EXACTLY. Finally someone gets it.
Quote by ConfederateAxe
EXACTLY. Finally someone gets it.

But then, that applies to all guitar sounds.
Skwiskgar: What the hell was wrongs withs your guitars sounds tonight?

Toki: What do you mean? It sounds fines.

Skwiskgar: Nope. Sounds dildos. AGAINS.

Metalocalypse ftw.
Quote by imgooley

I do to, but it's an annoyance that grows on you. Like Neil Young or Jimi Hendrix. Or Robert Plant.

Yeah, I guess you're right... It's not so annoying, though, that it makes his music unbearable to listen to.
You're gonna need a new amp I'm afraid, then use something like a big muff or fuzz face.

I'm surprised that there's all this Jack White hate, I don't particularly like his music, but I respect him a musician, he's original if nothing else, and sadly that's a trait which is becoming increasingly uncommon.
Quote by ConfederateAxe
Skwiskgar: What the hell was wrongs withs your guitars sounds tonight?

Toki: What do you mean? It sounds fines.

Skwiskgar: Nope. Sounds dildos. AGAINS.

Metalocalypse ftw.

A big part of Jack White's sound comes from his style.

Listen to his riffs, and picture the simplest way you can play it. That's probably how he plays it. This thought process is a big part of the concept behind the White Stripes, and a big part of his tone, due to the voicings he chooses.
Quote by Airline-Olie
It's beautiful

The pedals that are painted gold are the ones he uses with the Raconteurs... Although he uses the same exact pedals with both them and The White Stripes, idk why he needs 2 seperate pedal boards
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
The pedals that are painted gold are the ones he uses with the Raconteurs... Although he uses the same exact pedals with both them and The White Stripes, idk why he needs 2 seperate pedal boards

because:

a) hes famous, and has style
b) can afford it (and then some)

and

c) looks badass
Hi All,
Bring this one back from the dead. I personally love grungey, fuzzed out tone. I love Neil, Jack, and 90s Grunge (Cobain, Corgan, etc.). I've got a lot of the pieces to the puzzle TS9 OD, NY Big Muff, etc. and have some other pedals as well but I'm wondering if I could usher in the tone a little better with a different Axe. My main axe is a Fender Standard Strat w/ EMG-DG20s. Personally I was hoping for more with the DG-20s in tone. They are versatile but they just don't fit my wants. Can I get the tone I want from my strat alone? Should I go with a shorter scale like a Mustang? I was looking at something more Humbuckerish since Neil plays a Gibby and Jack an Airliner w/ Humbuckers (even though they say they are single coils). Thoughts? Maybe a Jag HH or something Gretsch would fit the bill? Let me know.

Lank
My Gear:
Guitars: Vintage LP, Martin DX-1, Epi Viola Bass,
Amps: Marshall JMD501
Effects: Empty Set right now
cant we save all of this hate for the pit?

tone is subjective, get over it
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
Quote by lank81
Hi All,
Bring this one back from the dead. I personally love grungey, fuzzed out tone. I love Neil, Jack, and 90s Grunge (Cobain, Corgan, etc.). I've got a lot of the pieces to the puzzle TS9 OD, NY Big Muff, etc. and have some other pedals as well but I'm wondering if I could usher in the tone a little better with a different Axe. My main axe is a Fender Standard Strat w/ EMG-DG20s. Personally I was hoping for more with the DG-20s in tone. They are versatile but they just don't fit my wants. Can I get the tone I want from my strat alone? Should I go with a shorter scale like a Mustang? I was looking at something more Humbuckerish since Neil plays a Gibby and Jack an Airliner w/ Humbuckers (even though they say they are single coils). Thoughts? Maybe a Jag HH or something Gretsch would fit the bill? Let me know.

Lank

To be honest, any guitar can fit the bill for a great fuzz tone. More important is the amp when using fuzz: Fuzzes can be picky.

However, a Gretsch is a great guitar for Jack White type garage rock tones.
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
American Big Muff. Fender Twin Reverb/Sears Silvertone. Digitech Whammy.

He's also got some other pedals and he uses a couple other amps in the studio, but the gear listed is what he uses the most.

This is the actual answer to the guy's question. Fair play, ItsOnlyGNR.

I hate it when people get dissed here for their tastes in music/bands. We're all musicians. I might not be in to Br00tal as some of you like to call it, but I'll still help a guy/girl out if I know the answer to a question he/she may have. It's just not cool to jump on someone because they're into different stuff than you might be.

Unless it's child abuse or something.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
Quote by lank81
Hi All,

Lank

I ran straight out an bought the compstang reissues when they came out in '01. To be fair, I was 15 and all I cared about was trying to get my sound as close to Cobain's as possible. I still love my mustang to this day, but it is not a great instrument. I never play it out. It won't stay in tune and sounds horrible for anything except slopppy thrashy alternative rock (it worked great in my old band). But if you want a serious instrument stay well away. The shortscale guitars can have a nice rich, warm tone but if you wanna go that direction look at a Jaguar.

I'd keep the strat.

Maybe get something with 'buckers too though. Just for a bit of versatility. Pearl jam. neil young and the punpkins all loved their les pauls... Even Cobain put Seymour Duncan JB's in all but one of his mustangs and I think all of his Jaguars. He stuck hot rails in his strats.

EDIT - Cobain used Gibson '59 humbuckers in some of those too, actually.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
Last edited by gerardwayne at Oct 30, 2009,
Yea, I'm going through a Stock Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb RI. I'm planning on swapping the stock tubes for some JJs and maybe seeing if someone can mess with the board to change it back to a true 65. I think that'll nail the tone I'm looking for pretty much dead on. I'd still like to upgrade from my MIM or at least go with a more true single coil tone instead of the EMGs.

Lank
My Gear:
Guitars: Vintage LP, Martin DX-1, Epi Viola Bass,
Amps: Marshall JMD501
Effects: Empty Set right now
Quote by lank81
Yea, I'm going through a Stock Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb RI. I'm planning on swapping the stock tubes for some JJs and maybe seeing if someone can mess with the board to change it back to a true 65. I think that'll nail the tone I'm looking for pretty much dead on. I'd still like to upgrade from my MIM or at least go with a more true single coil tone instead of the EMGs.

Lank

Billy used EMGs and/or Lace sensors. Dunno what crap he uses today, but who'd want to sound like THAT anyway? I've a MIM strat myself - the 70s reissue model with ash body and big ass headstock. Lovely looking guitar, a dream to play and basically 100% vintage correct, but I find the pups (proper single coils) very weak. I have to use, well actually I just started today to use, a clean boost with it to get it to keep up with my 06 USA tele. If you're going single coils, go modern fender alnico hot, or noiseless hot.

Stay away from vintage for this type of music. All of these guys tend to mod the hell out of their instruments anyway.
Gear:

Page 1 of 2