Page 1 of 3
Last night, I saw the South Park about Chimpokomon and during the scene where they're bombing Pearl Harbor on a video game got me thinking:

What would happen if a game was made where your fighting for the axis powers? (Bombing Pearl Harbor, invading Poland, etc.)

How would you feel about the game?

Would you play it?

Personally, I think people would be outraged, I would not feel sympathy for the people who made the game, and I probably wouldn't play it.

How about you Pit?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I've played several games where you can choose to play as the axis forces.

The problem is, if it's historically correct, no matter how well you play the game, your country loses the war. They could make it an alternate history game, where if you win as the axis forces, you actually win the war. THAT would cause an outrage.
you know i have always wanted a good game like this. how ever the battlefield series you can actually play axis powers in, maybe not bombing pearl harbour but still your doing other stuff none the less.
Also, bombing pearl harbour and invading Poland were major events that took many lives in a short time. It doesn't matter whose side you were on, they're not events you'd typically see in a game.

If you had a game about bombing Hiroshima, it wouldn't really be socially acceptable, either.
So, they have made it an option, just not as detailed as the Allied Powers. There are games that put you in big events like Pearl Harbor and D Day, but they wouldn't make one that puts you on the other side of Pearl Harbor or other things like that.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Hearts Of Iron. Amazingly in-depth. I always play the Germans in it.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Just cause Americans think they saved the world doesn't mean that you can't play as the axis in a game, does it?
Quote by sashki
Also, bombing pearl harbour and invading Poland were major events that took many lives in a short time. It doesn't matter whose side you were on, they're not events you'd typically see in a game.

If you had a game about bombing Hiroshima, it wouldn't really be socially acceptable, either.

Like any kids playing this game would know.
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
They have that, but you only play the victorious axis missions.

If there was a game where you could play as the axis powers and win, like an alt. history type thing, some will be offended, sure.
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
I think there's a German campaign in Company of Heroes. Not sure as I haven't tried the campaigns yet. I went straight to the online gameplay like a real HxC 1337z0rz gamer.
Company of Heroes - Tales of Valor, there's your answer. I liked it ^^
Quote by lockedandlogan
Let me get this straight. You're asking a bunch of people who are sitting at their computers, likely due to boredom, what to do for fun.

Quote by GaijinFoot
Old chinese proverb says: Man goes to bed with itchy bum, wakes up with smelly finger

Wise words
Axis and Allies, I'm talking about the 2004 video game btw. I don't see why it would cause an outrage the Axis winning WW2 would be fictional, so I don't how you could be mad.
Last edited by creelers at Sep 2, 2009,
A game where you could be hitler himself now THATS a game!!

but seriously i think people would be offended that the war and the horrible things people like Hitler or Stalin (who in my opinion is much worse) did are being recreated for cheap entertainment!! i however would play it
Quote by sashki

I remember playing an FPS a while ago (probably an MoH) where the first level of the game is Pearl Harbour during the bombing played from the allied (american) point of view, changing the side of the war you play on doesn't change that much in terms of the moral and graphical content of the game really.

To be honest I don't play many of the kind of games where historical accuracy is part of the game so I would be unlikely to play it anyway but I would be indifferent to it if you could play as the Axis powers through either a historically accurate or alternate-history timeline.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I remember playing an FPS a while ago (probably an MoH) where the first level of the game is Pearl Harbour during the bombing played from the allied (american) point of view, changing the side of the war you play on doesn't change that much in terms of the moral and graphical content of the game really.

To be honest I don't play many of the kind of games where historical accuracy is part of the game so I would be unlikely to play it anyway but I would be indifferent to it if you could play as the Axis powers through either a historically accurate or alternate-history timeline.

You were playing MoH: Rising Sun.
Quote by damian_91
Just cause Americans think they saved the world doesn't mean that you can't play as the axis in a game, does it?

Apparently so.
I just don't see what the problem really is. I mean, for the American market, they could just have a point in every mission you play where a 6'4", 250lb US Marine appears out of nowhere and kills your German arse, and then there would be fireworks and "America, F*CK YEA!".
Quote by creelers
You were playing MoH: Rising Sun.

Well you learn something every day... thanks ^_^
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
In Warleaders: Rise of Nations or something like that you can play Hitler, or any of the major forces in WW2. Hearts of Iron is another one where you can be any force you want. It can be fun to play as Germany, and not make the mistake of fighting a war on multiple fronts like Hitler did to win.
To those of you saying it would be offensive, what about someone playing COD or MoH in Germany? Every other second the squadmates say "There's the Krauts, kill 'em!" "Stupid Kraut!" "Burn those Italians Lieutenant!"

If we are allowed to make a game with that content and sell it in Germany, I see no reason why a game playing as the Axis would be any big deal. Unless there's a Prison Camp section or something...
You can in a lot of strategy type of games, but I don't know any first person shooters that do. They'll eventually make a FPS where you can play as the axis powers, but it'll be after all the WWII veterans have died methinks.
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.
Quote by phlip999
To those of you saying it would be offensive, what about someone playing COD or MoH in Germany? Every other second the squadmates say "There's the Krauts, kill 'em!" "Stupid Kraut!" "Burn those Italians Lieutenant!"

If we are allowed to make a game with that content and sell it in Germany, I see no reason why a game playing as the Axis would be any big deal. Unless there's a Prison Camp section or something...

I concur.
Quote by phlip999

That anti-German and anti-Italian sentiment is not against Germans and Italians, rather against Nazi's and the Italian fascists.
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
That anti-German and anti-Italian sentiment is not against Germans and Italians, rather against Nazi's and the Italian fascists.

Perhaps, vut large sections of the Wehrmacht weren't Nazis, and many of those who had joined the party did so because it was an expedient career move, and not due to a shared ideology.
Quote by MightyAl
Perhaps, vut large sections of the Wehrmacht weren't Nazis, and many of those who had joined the party did so because it was an expedient career move, and not due to a shared ideology.

They still followed orders from Nazis.
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by phlip999

But they have to edit out the Swastikas in Germany
Quote by MightyAl
Apparently so.
I just don't see what the problem really is. I mean, for the American market, they could just have a point in every mission you play where a 6'4", 250lb US Marine appears out of nowhere and kills your German arse, and then there would be fireworks and "America, F*CK YEA!".

whats sad is this is required to be socially acceptable worldwide.

Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW

You would too if you had to choose between army or death.
Last edited by Tedward at Sep 2, 2009,
Quote by blackthought
They could make a game that's like Rollercoaster Tycoon, but with concentration camps.

"Congratulations, you've now unlocked the Gas Chamber. Check the Store often to what it available."

I love black humor.

Plus they could make one for POW camps too.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW

Yes, but the German military of the 1930's wasn't exactly full of radical free-thinkers. You can't really expect to identify with them, especially not the Prussian 'Old Guard' types like Ludendorf.
I don't play war games at all, but I don't see how playing as the Axis powers would be any worse than playing for the Allies. It's all just a bunch of senseless violence and in the end, is just a video game anyways.
Id be pretty interested in playing a game where you have a choice. Id like to see it from the Axis side as well. Ive seen it from the Allies side a million times. Theres no need for people to feel outraged unless part of your campaign mode is when youre stationed in Auschwitz and you have options popping up to say "Press X To Gas Jews" "Press O To Rifle-Whip Uppity Gypsy Inmate"
DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING
and
CAREFUL NOW

No man needs a holiday more than the man who has just had one.
Quote by Tedward

You would too if you had to choose between army or death.

Yes, those are the only two choices....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_resistance

if, however, I had to choose, I prefer death over serving fascist scum.
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Last edited by ExtremeMetalFTW at Sep 2, 2009,
So if they make video games in the axis countries about WWII, would it be depicting their side, or would they just not make a game like that. Cause we have Vietnam games even though we didnt exactly win
Fight the war, fuck the norm
Now I got no patience
So sick of complacence
With the D the E the F the I the A the N the C the E
Mind of a revolutionary
So clear the lane
...Whoever told you that is your enemy?
Page 1 of 3