Page 1 of 12
Hey everyone,

It's that time of year again, custom build time! This time, I've commissioned a les paul style custom guitar, 100% handmade by my favorite luthier.

Specs: dragonburst finish (blue/turqoise/green) over a supremely quilted maple top, african mahogany body, ebony fretboard, custom paua abalone w/MOP frame inlays, mahogany body with quilted maple neck-thru, Bareknuckle Mule/Warpig pickups, tonepros string-thru body bridge, and Sperzel locking tuners. 25.5 inch scale, 24 frets . It's in the final couple of phases, here's a couple of pictures for you to enjoy:

All that's left is finishing and hardware installation. More to come.
Last edited by CustomAxe at Oct 2, 2009,
Awesome build, man! All we need is to see that finish.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
I need to see that finish! That wood on the body is very very nice!
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Thanks kranos and oosh! Here's a rough example that we'll be working from, although mine will have a more gradual transition and more color:

Thanks savage. The african mahogany is pretty insanely figured too , all i have is this crap quality photo but here it is anyway:

And here's a pic of the top wood wetted a bit to show how it'll look finished:

Quote by CustomAxe
Thanks kranos and oosh! Here's a rough example that we'll be working from, although mine will have a more gradual transition and more color:

Christ! I have to see the final product, im really looking forward to it!
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Thanks man. I can't wait. This is my 3rd project with this luthier and he always goes above and beyond my expectations, so I'm excited. This is the first time he's handbuilding the ENTIRE thing (1st project was a Jackson body I had him build a custom neck for; 2nd I had someone else do the neck and he did the body).
Does anyone have any experience with Bareknuckle pups btw? I hear AMAZING stuff about them but this'll be my first time giving them a go.
I have heard a demo of another custom made LP (for the luthier I'll be using in the New Year) and I thought the Warpigs sounded a bit muddy. That could be down to the guitarist, of course. I looked long and hard at BKPs and would have gone with Abraxas but I'm currently favouring Iron Gear Hot Slag for the closest to a '59 sound but with loadsa power.
Meanwhile those timbers look the business. Keen to see the result as well as hear a demo.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Will do sir, thanks! It could of course also have been the amp or the settings. I never have muddiness issues with my rig so hopefully it won't be a problem.
Don't you worry good sir, my luthier simply takes bad quality photos, and this was before some sanding and such. The pieces for the top were a tiny bit smaller than we had hoped, so some finagling had to be done, but everything is now perfecto.
Last edited by CustomAxe at Sep 2, 2009,
i love dragon burst!
if i ever build or repaint a guitar it will be dragonburst
interesting to see this done on a les paul
should be interesting

*stickied*
Quote by EchoxOath
SG has officially won this thread.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
there are no words to describe how truly epic this is.

Quote by SGstriker
I think you win the award for the coolest member of '08
Is there any manufacturer in this world that knows what dragonburst is other than Carvin? (they invented that finish, didn't they)?
-Mike
Quote by HopePoisoned
Is there any manufacturer in this world that knows what dragonburst is other than Carvin? (they invented that finish, didn't they)?
I've seen that burst on a Les Paul before, but it may have been an aftermarket job as I've only ever seen one.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
Quote by DuctTapeNinja
I've seen that burst on a Les Paul before, but it may have been an aftermarket job as I've only ever seen one.

Warmoth does it. there's isn't as nice though.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
Warmoth does it. there's isn't as nice though.
That could be, it wasn't as nice as the pic OP posted. That one looks gorgeous. I can't wait to see this one done.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
*subscribed*

This is going to look awesome, I am awaiting updates
for some reason, Dragonburst doesn't seem to be a common finish on LP's. I'm curious to see how this'll look, for some reason this burst seems more suited for a strat shape to me.
------

Shwiggity.
I am a happy camper!! All that's left is some minor sanding and then finishing, and hardware installation. should be done in two weeks or less. Some photos :

close-up of the inlays kthnx, they look purdy :3
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Sure thing dude. For now I wanna leave my luthier alone to finish this, I've bugged him for enough progress photos . It should be done in about two weeks and then I'm sure there will be a non-56k safe post by me.
And a not-so-great photo of the side of the guitar, with some of the tummy cut visible. The top woods gonna be left unpainted along the edges. I wanna see that african mahogany finished...

Gettin' there . My builder got tied up with some personal stuff, so it's expected to be finished in about two weeks.
looks like a great guitar. Who is your luthier?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
That's some funky routing for the control cavity

Hope that glue seem comes out alright, and daaaayum on the finish choice, do you have any more shots/a source on that guitar you're using as a sample? That's one of the best "liquid" looks I've seen.
Quote by lumberjack
That's some funky routing for the control cavity

Hope that glue seem comes out alright, and daaaayum on the finish choice, do you have any more shots/a source on that guitar you're using as a sample? That's one of the best "liquid" looks I've seen.

Control cavity is perfectly fine now dude, it was a rough cut and unsanded in the photos above. He does all his stuff by hand and then spends tons of hours fine sanding everything. And no, that's just some dude's carvin, but I got a photo of some stain we're gonna be using. Ours has more color variation, because that Carvin one just seemed like a turqoise ocean thing, not too many different hues of green and blue. This of course is unfinished, just stain on wood, but here it goes:

My luthier shot some photos of the finish colors and sent em over for my approval. I think these look pretty damn good. It's gonna be blue around the edges, turqoise next, and then green in the middle. The blot on the top is the dragonburst in general, the turqoise is shown separately on the bottom blot. It'll be a blue-er turquoise where it meets the blue paint, and a greener where it meets the green in the middle.

Last edited by CustomAxe at Sep 14, 2009,
Looks awesome! The two-colour burst needs to get more popular.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Lookin' fine! That quilt is so nice you could put almost anything on it and it would look amazing, but those colors are great choices...can't wait to see this one finished!