what is the sound/tone differnce between hss strat's and tele's/
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX
ESP/LTD EC400AT

Soon to have an Ibanez RG1550M, 350M, and RG2610!!
I think teles are twangier.

Hss strats have a humbucker in the bridge, which will give it a meatier tone with less hum (When switched to that pickup)
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Oosh. at Sep 2, 2009,
teles are a little hotter I guess. they have a nice twang whereas the strat...idk just try them both out.
Telecasters have a really really twangy sound, listen to the Crossroads duel (you can find it on youtube) and when the guy with the tele comes in, you'll definately hear the difference. For an idea of what a strat sounds like, listen to pretty much anything from Jimi Hendrix (Little Wing is a good one)
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
telecaster-twangy somewhat countyish. strat-clean crispy goodness
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Telecasters = Twangy but they absorb a lot of tone.

Telecaster Thinlines = Twangy and they don't absorb as much tone. They sound better to me.

Stratocasters = Good tone, I'm not sure how to describe it though. Listen to some Jimi Hendrix songs such as Purple Haze, Foxey Lady, Highway Chile and Crosstown Traffic for a good idea.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Ok i love hendrix and all. one of my favorite guitarist of all times. but he is not the only person to look at for good strat tones guys..
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
Quote by Gargoyle2500
Stratocasters = Good tone, I'm not sure how to describe it though. Listen to some Jimi Hendrix songs such as Purple Haze, Foxey Lady, Highway Chile and Crosstown Traffic for a good idea.

Hey Joe and Purple Haze were played on a Telecaster.
Teles can play anything

Listen to a ISIS or Mouth of the Architect.

You hear that? Thats tele.
Listen to SRV then listen to Albert Collins. You'll hear it quickly.
Tele's are a LOT twangier and snappier than a strat.
An HSS strat has a humbucker in the bridge. It gives a fatter warmer sound.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
anyone ever dared to play metal or death metal on a tele? I mean, I know its possible.

But its practical.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX
ESP/LTD EC400AT

Quote by CKYIbanezParker
anyone ever dared to play metal or death metal on a tele? I mean, I know its possible.

But its practical.

jim root telecaster
and the john 5 telecaster can do metal easily
Quote by DIFTWOOD
jim root telecaster
and the john 5 telecaster can do metal easily

fender standard telecaster? I think a guitar can play any style if you make it.

Single coils really don't sound as good when it comes to metal but it can work.

Just throw a ****load of distortion in the mix.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX
ESP/LTD EC400AT

Well the way I see it, the tele can reach twangier sounds, but has less versatility. The strat can reach a decent twang, but has more versatility with three pickups and all. Plus my friend tells me it's easier to swap pickups out on a strat, as they are mounted onto the pickguard. (Assuming the two guitars in question are the standard Tele and the Standard strat.)
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
this thread seems useful,
where i am, to even "see" an american made strat or tele means you're lucky,
tio own one means you are specially blessed by god(or filthy stinking rich, which is one and the same anyways)
I once sold a tele to guy who bought it even without trying it because he was so damn sure about the tone.
If you want to get laid, go to college,
If you want education go to a library

-Frank Zappa-
Teles are punchy, ballsy, twangy and powerful on the bridge pickup, smooth, mellow and on the neck, and sweet and buttery with both.

A strat has a mellower sound(Except on the neck pickup. The strat neck pickup is ballsier than the tele neck pickup, assumably attributable to the tele using 42k wire instead of 43k, or something like that), can quack where a tele honks(Doesn't seem to make sense, but trust me it does), has the in-between position, and a less biting bridge pickup.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
How would a Tele with h/bs compare to a HSS strat (I'm just curious)

Also...Jassmaster -> Strat -> Tele -> H/B Tele (again I'm curious)
Quote by blue_strat
Hey Joe and Purple Haze were played on a Telecaster.

Along with Little Wing if I recall.

Like everyone said. Telecasters have this real pronounced twang to them, and is the guitar mainly used in country. Stratocasters are more known for their cleans and made their mark with Hendrix. However, Buddy Holly used them before Hendrix and they were mainly used with chords (Hence why Vintage strats have a 7.25" radius). The bridge pickup of a strat (If its in the standard SSS configuration), is somewhat close to the tele's. I like to think of the strat as what the tele could have been. The strat has contours that make it more comfortable, compared to the tele's boxy shape (Some teles now are contoured too), they also have a tremolo arm for surf music (but Jaquars and those after the strats were used more in surf music.).

Some tele examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-T6Dp2UAZo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y-Ipi1dnng&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGWfLiEoG98

some strat examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCHVpDwMS2k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIgV8COPSzo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtRk1YSpcKU

As you can see, the first example of the telecaster, Albert Lee, has a humbucker in the neck, and 2 single coils (Bridge pickup being telestyle, middle being strat style). So teles can also have different configurations compared to the norm of Neck + Bridge, just like strats can have 2 Humbuckers and a Single Coil (Dave Murray's strat) and a Humbucker and 2 Single Coils.
Haha it's great reading people try to describe tone. You need to play them both, I think strats have the better sound, it's just a more "authentic" tone. See, words don't do sound any justice.
teles are brasher and twangier, strats are sweeter and glassier, and have a little natural reverb from the trem springs. the HSS version of the strat will be similar to a normal strat, except with the bridge pickup is selected, which'll give you a rockier, more gibson-style, tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by CKYIbanezParker

But its practical.

Think the guy from wintersun uses a tele.
Gear:

Guitars:
Strat rip off
G-400 alpine white (signed by Coheed & Cambria)
ESP MF-207
RG350DX

Amp:
Crate V50 112

Effects
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Quote by misfitsweare138
Think the guy from wintersun uses a tele.

I recall him doing so as well.
the guys from the good ol swedish band At The Gates used single coils to get their tone but i dont know if it was from fender strats or teles. those guitarists are now in The Haunted and im really not sure if they still do but i doubt it.

ah yes i might add that when you use single coils for high gain apps, its gonna be really noisy so youll need a rocktron hush or something. i dont know, maybe someone with more experience in this can tell you exactly how to silence it.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Last edited by SYLrules88 at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by FallsDownStairs
Along with Little Wing if I recall.

Hmm I don't know about that.

According to this, Hendrix borrowed Noel Redding's Tele for those two songs - but this was on the first album. I doubt he would have needed to on Axis (though why he did on Experienced? I don't know), but it would be interesting if you had a source that could verify that.
Quote by blue_strat
Hmm I don't know about that.

According to this, Hendrix borrowed Noel Redding's Tele for those two songs - but this was on the first album. I doubt he would have needed to on Axis (though why he did on Experienced? I don't know), but it would be interesting if you had a source that could verify that.

I had read about it in a biography of him I picked up at Barnes and Noble. Mitch had said that he recalls Jimi using a tele on Little Wing.