Page 1 of 3
Death_switch
Mr Snrub
165 IQ
Not seen a thread about him lying around. Recently I've become quite a big fan of his after listening to the album 'Illinois'. The first album of his I listened to of his was Michigan and it sort of left me with mixed feelings; I just thought he was one of those artists I just didn't get. Obviously it has some great tracks like 'Flint' and 'For the Widows in Paradise, for the Fatherless in Ypsilanti' and a couple of other but I didn't really get a feeling for him but now after a few more listens coupled with going through his later work I have started really appreciating it. Anyone else a fan? I've heard he does great, yet quite strange, live performances too.
The Progfather
Explosions in the Sky Fan
32 IQ
I think Sufjan Stevens is really good. I've yet to see him live, but I also found his stuff took a little while of getting into. Illinois is a great album, its nice to know other people appreciate his work
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Ashdown MAG 300 Head + Ashdown 410T Cab
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Death_switch
Mr Snrub
165 IQ
Woah I live in Sheffield too! Well my parents do and I am now during the summer.

EDIT: Sorry that was a bit off topic but what are the chances?
Mack56
mackabre
1,077 IQ
Suffie's great. I have most of his albums, and his style is pretty all over, even though it's mostly the folky/poppy indie as seen on Michigan/Illinois.

and as for his live performances. I've never seen him live in person, but most of the videos i've seen included Sufjan wearing butterfly wings. *shrug* i can only imagine that's the tip of the iceberg.
The Progfather
Explosions in the Sky Fan
32 IQ
Quote by Death_switch
Woah I live in Sheffield too! Well my parents do and I am now during the summer.

EDIT: Sorry that was a bit off topic but what are the chances?

Ah I saw Manchester listed as your location and thought that was pretty close, but you actually living in Sheffield is a crazy coincidence, although i'm not there right now as its not term time. To keep it on topic, Sufjan Stevens is still good.
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Ashdown MAG 300 Head + Ashdown 410T Cab
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
TerpsRHCP
Kissing the Lipless
808 IQ
My friends all recommended him to me so i downloaded the Illinoise album. I love it.
ED REED BABY
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
Easily one of the best lyricists of the last 20 years
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Zycho
300 IQ
Just saw him live recently. Excellent musician with just a really good diverse discography behind him.
IMABBALLPLAYER
doesnt really play bball
1,880 IQ
Quote by Zycho
Just saw him live recently. Excellent musician with just a really good diverse discography behind him.

I'm very very jealous!
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
We'realltoBlame
Looks like a *****.
1,080 IQ
I was going to see him on the 29th but apparently trying to preorder tickets one month ahead of time isn't early enough....
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
IMABBALLPLAYER
doesnt really play bball
1,880 IQ
So... did you like those new songs? I thought they were really interesting. I'm excited to see more of these new songs.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
the_astronaut
's name is Rylan.
1,699 IQ
I liked the new songs a lot, Sufjan is consistently awesome though so that's to be expected really.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

halloweenhead
792 IQ
even though i've had some of his songs for a while and liked em, i just listened to Illinois and am now hooked. Whhich album should i get next?
Quote by RATM forever
definitely the best spam thread today!
marchoso
Boom
1,393 IQ
Quote by halloweenhead
even though i've had some of his songs for a while and liked em, i just listened to Illinois and am now hooked. Whhich album should i get next?

Run Rabbit Run turned out to be everything I could have ever hoped for. I'd definitely recommend grabbing it.
Quote by wahappen

This is a guitar community not Romper Room.
Cianyx
UG Nerd
1,216 IQ
^Shit, that song almost made me cry.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Death_switch
Mr Snrub
165 IQ
Quote by halloweenhead

Michigan maybe? It has some of his better known stuff such as For the widows in Paradise, For the Fatherless in Ypsilanti but there are great songs you may not have heard of on it like Flint, The Upper Peninsula and Romulus. Heck it's all good!
darkstar2466
Fly, you fools
1,145 IQ
Quote by halloweenhead

My first Sufjan album was Seven Swans. I suggest you get that. It's soooo good.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
ohhey9040
Nature Without Man
577 IQ
That's kind of weird I'm listening to Seven Swans right now, it's pretty good. I've been listening to Illinois like crazy lately, it's sooooooo good. His arrangements are so amazing, it's ridiculous. Also, John Wayne Gacy Jr. haunts me like no other. It's pure beauty, then when he sings those last lines it just caps off the song so perfectly. Stunning...
darkstar2466
Fly, you fools
1,145 IQ
We were talking about it in the other (the original and long) Sufjan Stevens thread, about "Come On, Feel the Illinoise!" Holy moly is that song arranged well. It's like the most perfect song ever made. Period.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
ChadHydro
12 IQ
Quote by darkstar2466
We were talking about it in the other (the original and long) Sufjan Stevens thread, about "Come On, Feel the Illinoise!" Holy moly is that song arranged well. It's like the most perfect song ever made. Period.

He REALLY does shine in his arrangements
dont_cry789
341 IQ
Ha! I see you've already created a thread about this. So far I've listened to the first track and it really is amazing. It's exactly what I thought his new album would sound like too. It's reminiscent of Illionoise but shows a newer more complex sound at the same time I think. Damn epic opening song though.

EDIT: Update: I've gotten to "The Owl and the Tanager" and no words could possibly describe how amazing this song is...

Update: Love the references to Sounds Of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel on track 6.
Last edited by dont_cry789 at Aug 20, 2010,
paquiquinho
Registered (ab)User
895 IQ
Well if a Sufjan Ep gets two posts in the forum I'm gonna check it out. Never listen to Sufjan Stevens but have been meaning too since I read he participated in the recordings of Boxer like 3 years ago. Guess it's today...

EDIT: And he's also on High Violet as I understand. And he officially rocks. I'm loving this already and I'm only 4 minutes into the first song. I'll keep editing as I listen.

RE-EDIT: Up to track 5 by now. Haven't paid much attention to the lyrics as I never do on a first listen but musically this is an highly advisable EP to listen. I'm rating it 9/10 after hearing half of it.

UPDATE: Yeah just heard the reference to Sound of Silence. Delightful to say the least.
Quote by Sinister Waffle
Who pirates Winrar? that has to be the most passive aggressive program I've ever seen.

"hey you should really buy me, the 40 days is up"
* hits X button*
" Oh okay, maybe next time?"

You sir have just won a thousand internets.
Last edited by paquiquinho at Aug 20, 2010,
dont_cry789
341 IQ
Check out his Illinoise album as well. My favorite songs on that album are the opener Concerning The UFO sightings, John Wayne Gacy jr., Casimir Pulaski Day, Jacksonville, They are Night Zombies , Chicago, and the Seer's Tower.
paquiquinho
Registered (ab)User
895 IQ
I'll listen to Illinoise tomorrow but just from the name of the songs I can tell you I can't wait. I'm in love with this man. It took me to long to actually listen to this.
Quote by Sinister Waffle
Who pirates Winrar? that has to be the most passive aggressive program I've ever seen.

"hey you should really buy me, the 40 days is up"
* hits X button*
" Oh okay, maybe next time?"

You sir have just won a thousand internets.
IMABBALLPLAYER
doesnt really play bball
1,880 IQ
So glad you guys enjoy it. And yes dont_cry, I'm very excited about this. hahaha

spitonastranger
Kinski Assassin
554 IQ
It's fabulos. Semi off topic but who else finds john wayne gacy jr incredibly disturbing?
Zycho
300 IQ
Quote by spitonastranger
It's fabulos. Semi off topic but who else finds john wayne gacy jr incredibly disturbing?

Do you know who John Wayne Gacy Jr was?

Anyways, lol at the "EP" being an hour long.
steve_muse
beating a dead forum
419 IQ
Woah, I don't really listen to him but that first track was great.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
uhh_me?
schmendrick.
3,608 IQ
i merged the threads. such a neat little thing.

y'all really liked the first track? it just seemed so scattered and, i don't know, oddly rushed feeling? the rest of the EP is fine, i suppose. nothing that i'm really going to wind up writing home about though.
Draken
waiting for the 6th world
3,112 IQ
Love his song writing style. Really nice folk feel to excellent arrangements.
crazy8rgood
I'malrightifyou'realright
776 IQ
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
This is some serious indie music news.
http://pitchfork.com/news/39817-new-sufjan-stevens-ep-is-out-now/

It sounds ****ing incredible as well.

Downloaded this a couple days ago, have to say, made me a fan.

Downloaded Illinois yesterday. Made me more of a fan.

This guy is ****ing fantastic.

Quote by uhh_me?
i merged the threads. such a neat little thing.

y'all really liked the first track? it just seemed so scattered and, i don't know, oddly rushed feeling? the rest of the EP is fine, i suppose. nothing that i'm really going to wind up writing home about though.

I think the first track is the best one on the EP, personally.
#1 synth
Weeow!
7,350 IQ
reminds me of too many drunk highschool staring at the ceiling with my first love moments at this point for me to get too attached to his sound. which makes me sad because his christmas stuff is some of my favorite feel good music of all time.