#1
trying to replace a couple fuses in my head. The amp was off AND unplugged. I made contact, I think, with both sides of the fuse holder. So yeah, I got a nice little zap... twice. I'm still alive obviously but it was NOT pleasant.
Whoof arted?
#3
Electrocuted means killed by electric shock. You were shocked, not electrocuted.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
#4
i bet that WAS unpleasant.


atleast you didnt touch a charged transformer. thats a guaranteed body bag.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ


#5
Quote by tubetime86
Electrocuted means killed by electric shock. You were shocked, not electrocuted.



gtfo ***


did you get burnt?
#6
Daaayyyummm. I hope I never have to work on anything inside of my amp besides replacing tubes. I just know how to play with them, not which parts to stay away from
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
#7
My mates dad had that happen to him before, you're meant to leave your amp unplugged for a good few hours before even thinking of opening it, unfortunately you aren't told this because companies don't advise tinkering in there yourself at all


Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
#8
Quote by Tedward
gtfo ***

No? I'm sorry when the title says "I got electrocuted... It's true." Its hard for me to ignore. You didn't, its not.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
#9
Quote by dancesisidance
My mates dad had that happen to him before, you're meant to leave your amp unplugged for a good few hours before even thinking of opening it, unfortunately you aren't told this because companies don't advise tinkering in there yourself at all


It would take months, even years for an amp's caps to discharge on their own.

OP, next time, drain the caps before you work on it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.



Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
#10
Quote by tubetime86
Electrocuted means killed by electric shock. You were shocked, not electrocuted.

You sir are correct but it seems you do not use proper English i believe its called BLOODROCUTED
I don't read, I look at words and absorb their meanings.
If the pit was a group of people hangin out we would be possibly the most awsome group of people to be known to mankind.........I think it would be on the news
#11
Quote by Bright Light
Daaayyyummm. I hope I never have to work on anything inside of my amp besides replacing tubes. I just know how to play with them, not which parts to stay away from


caps, hot tube sockets/hot tubes, input/output transformers (pretty delicate, and can deliver a lethal shock if theyre still holding charge).

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ


#13
It's the same with computers, you're supposed to touch something steel to get rid of YOUR own charge or you could burn the components, guess it's the other way around here. XD
Oh and don't touch the back of your computer when ur holding ur guitar either, that zapped me three times in a row too.
#15
probably touched a capacitor.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7


edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
#16
The shock didn't leave a burn or anything, but it did leave my index finger and thumb feeling numb and tender. My eyes must have gotten a little glossy because my vision seemed a bit blurry for a little while. I think I'm fine or I wouldn't be sitting here typing. But it did scare me pretty good cause I've always heard it could be lethal. So other than the tender point of contact on my fingers, a little blurred vision and being a little shaky I'm fine. I don't think I would have experienced these effects but idiot me managed to get shocked twice.

I have a new found respect for electricity now and working on the inside of amps.
Whoof arted?
Last edited by protech487 at Sep 2, 2009,
#17
Quote by Silver-spear94
i bet that WAS unpleasant.


atleast you didnt touch a charged transformer. thats a guaranteed body bag.
That would be the case if a transformer actually held charge.
#18
okay them...rephrase...

if you were dumb enough to open your amp without unplugging from the mains?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ


#20
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Are you sure you didn't touch a capacitor?

What amp was it?

My amp has bleed resistors on each of the caps.

Glad you are OK.


pretty certain i didnt touch a capacitor. its an 82' jcm800 head. I was replacing a 1 amp fuse and 1/2 amp fuse, probably very much like what on the inside of your splawn. I should have paid a little more attention to the little 'WARNING' that indiciated high voltage on the fuseboard.

thanks tho
Whoof arted?
Last edited by protech487 at Sep 2, 2009,
#22
this is why you should discharge the amp after unplugging and turning off the amp. you grounded it and got a shock that way.
#23
Quote by protech487
pretty certain i didnt touch a capacitor. its an 82' jcm800 head. I was replacing a 1 amp fuse and 1/2 amp fuse, probably very much like what on the inside of your splawn. I should have paid a little more attention to the little 'WARNING' that indiciated high voltage on the fuseboard.

thanks tho


Yes, it probably is similar. Judging by your user name I'm guessing you are an amp tech? Was this your amp or someone else's? I don't know if it is odd or not to get zapped by a fuse housing or whatever it was you touched.

Word to the wise.
#24
Same think happened to my friend's dad...in a way anyways...

I forget exactly how it worked out but, he had an old school 80's LP (Brand new at the time) and got shocked so bad his finger imprint was actually left on the 3rd and 4th frets. Still there, and it's an epic story.

Sorry for the rant, glad that wasn't lethal. I'm very much against fiddling with electronics. I'd rather just get a professional working on it, even though your name is 'protech'. And by professional I mean no one from Guitar Center.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
#26
Quote by Silver-spear94
okay them...rephrase...

if you were dumb enough to open your amp without unplugging from the mains?
whether you plug or unplug from the mains make absolutely no difference if the amp is off.
Quote by protech487
pretty certain i didnt touch a capacitor. its an 82' jcm800 head. I was replacing a 1 amp fuse and 1/2 amp fuse, probably very much like what on the inside of your splawn. I should have paid a little more attention to the little 'WARNING' that indiciated high voltage on the fuseboard.

thanks tho
You need to discharge the filter caps before putting your hands into the chassis. You don't need to be anywhere near the filter caps to get a nice zap.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 2, 2009,
#27
my dads car got struck by lightening once, luckily the car grounded it rather than the lightening cooking us.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ


#28
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Yes, it probably is similar. Judging by your user name I'm guessing you are an amp tech? Was this your amp or someone else's? I don't know if it is odd or not to get zapped by a fuse housing or whatever it was you touched.

Word to the wise.


LOL. Actually, no, I don't know a thing about electronics, obviously , but i thought that username would leave that impression.

I guess I should change my username to no-tech
Whoof arted?
Last edited by protech487 at Sep 2, 2009,
#29



too bad you can't change user names. Follow al112987's advice. He knows what he is talking about. I'm shocked you went in your amp without some basic knowledge however. It can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. As you found out.


*bad pun is bad pun*
#30
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH



too bad you can't change user names. Follow al112987's advice. He knows what he is talking about. I'm shocked you went in your amp without some basic knowledge however. It can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. As you found out.


*bad pun is bad pun*

Took me awhile, but I saw what you did thar. Then again, you did point it out.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
#31
Quote by al112987
whether you plug or unplug from the mains make absolutely no difference if the amp is off.


Not true, there is still some electricity flowing through when it's off, else it wouldn't come back on.


Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
#32
Quote by Silver-spear94
i bet that WAS unpleasant.


atleast you didnt touch a charged transformer. thats a guaranteed body bag.


capacitor*

well, the big 300v ones anyway =0

also: pedantics ftw
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.