Just wondering, who here thinks it's okay to be in two bands (not as in jokes or side-projects, but something you're actually serious about) at the same time, and who here doesn't?

My personal view is that it's fine as long as you don't let the two interfere with each other; that being said, I'm a bass player, and we're in short supply, so I'm wanted pretty much everywhere.
Perfectly fine, until one gets signed.

Then you have to choose
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
im in two, thinking about leaving both.

its really not my thing any more.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by herby190
I'm a bass player, and we're in short supply, so I'm wanted pretty much everywhere.

Well if I'm ever in a band I'm still going to do solo stuff, I mean if the band doesn't like the song I wrote, it's still my song, I'll play it if I ever gig alone so it's not a huge deal.
It's fine. just make sure your commitment is equal.
I know you think that I'm someone you can trust.
But I'm scared i'll get scared and i swear i'll try to nail you back up.

Female SouperHero
Meh.

It depends on preference. When I first started, word spread that I would be willing to step back and play rhythm guitar or bass, as opposed to lead, so I was offered a place in 3 bands. I took to two of the bands, and that continued for a few months.

Eventually, however, you'll lean towards one band that you want to have more involvement with, and you'll ditch the second band.

Almost always happens, but maybe it won't for you
Alright, another question to ask. For those of you who write songs entirely by yourself (on Guitar Pro and such), how to you split it up? I mean, I've got tons of songs on my computer with all the instruments written, and I'm joining a band here in my new town (I moved, but still want to stay with my band in my original town), and I'm not sure if I should split them based on style, or if it would be fine to have both bands know it if it fits both styles, or what....
i think its fine to be in one or more bands
i used to be in four
but now i'm in two
one i class as my 'main band', coz we've gigged and recorded a lot
and the other band i drum for them, but we havent gigged yet, but i always put my main one first, and the other band know this and are fine with it.

if you can manage all the bands, then it's fine. just dont let them all pile up and conflict.
Quote by flamster
Yes I AM jealous.

^ about me
I'd never be in 2 bands who played the same. I'd be in a punk and a metal band, or jazz and then blues.

I'm happy playing in a punk band as a drummer though.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

It's perfectly fine so long as they don't mix schedule times. I'm also a bassist, and damned if I'm needed freaking everywhere. And then there's my drumming gig... different story.
If 4 more people tell me to go back to writing The Vanishing Point, I will.

UG's Commie Pinko Bedwetter
Quote by herby190
Just wondering, who here thinks it's okay to be in two bands (not as in jokes or side-projects, but something you're actually serious about) at the same time, and who here doesn't?

My personal view is that it's fine as long as you don't let the two interfere with each other; that being said, I'm a bass player, and we're in short supply, so I'm wanted pretty much everywhere.

Oddly enough i just got put in this predicament last night. I only became a bassist about...two weeks ago. Ive been playing guitar for a few years so im good enough for a newbie. Ive already joined a band with my cousin and been offered a position as a bassist in another band. We really are in short supply.
DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING
and
CAREFUL NOW

No man needs a holiday more than the man who has just had one.
Last edited by Zolom at Sep 2, 2009,
Quote by Zolom
Oddly enough i just got put in this predicament last night. I only became a bassist about...two weeks ago. Ive been playing guitar for a few years so im good enough for a newbie. Ive already joined a band with my cousin and been offered a position as a bassist in another band. We really are in short supply.

Bassists as well as drummers. Whenever I hear of people wanting to play guitar so they could be in a band I always tell them to play bass or drums. Doing such increases your odds of getting into a band about 90%.

Sorry to say it, but us guitarists are a dime a dozen.
Quote by Zolom

Only been playing bass for two weeks, maybe you should take a step back and take a look/give a listen to the talent in that other band.
I would say so... The way I'm thinking I'd have to do it is a band that I have but then my self as a solo act. Cause sometimes I write riffs which become fulls songs but then I show them to the band and they change it completely and rearrange the whole peice and try to add in sh!t that doesnt fit and rather than try something simple to fit along with it they try and run several different riffs underneath it or overly complex drum beats because they can...
sorry for rant...

But yah I would say 2 bands is fine, for me its splits into writing music with the band for the band and the stuff I write by myself for myself...

...as for a lack bassists... one of my old bands didnt have a bassist so we talked a friend into learning bass 2 weeks before our first show... the only music experience he had before playing bass was playing the clarinet... the show worked out well too with him... but then that band fell apart...
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
Bassists as well as drummers. Whenever I hear of people wanting to play guitar so they could be in a band I always tell them to play bass or drums. Doing such increases your odds of getting into a band about 90%.

Sorry to say it, but us guitarists are a dime a dozen.

I agree that good drummers are difficult to find, and also that their are TONS of guitar players, but most of the guitarists I know, the good ones anyway, also play bass proficient or better.
I learned bass as well as guitar at the same time, or about the same, I just couldn't choose between the two.
Quote by herby190
I'm a bass player, and we're in short supply, so I'm wanted pretty much everywhere.

Except in bed.

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Quote by Ciaphas
Only been playing bass for two weeks, maybe you should take a step back and take a look/give a listen to the talent in that other band.

Only been playing BASS for two weeks yeah. Been playing guitar for about five years and ive managed to transfer most of my knowledge over to bass. Its not all THAT different. I know the drummer and guitarist for this other band and theyre decent. Guitarist can hold his own and the drummer is energetic but sometimes has trouble keeping good time which is something every drummer should be able to do with ease id say.

Im giving it serious thought, mostly because i dont want to overburden myself.
DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING
and
CAREFUL NOW

No man needs a holiday more than the man who has just had one.