2 8%
Mesa/Boogie Modded Mark III
11 42%
ENGL Powerball
5 19%
Other?
4 15%
Voters: 26.
Never thought I'd be making another of these again.

Which amp would be the best for thrash metal, heavy metal, hard rock, shred and a little bit of blues.

Notable Bands/Artists: Megadeth, Paul Gilbert, Marty Friedman, Randy Rhoads, Metallica, Jeff Loomis, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Led Zeppelin

Lee Jackson Modded Marshall JCM 800
2008 Reissue Marshall JCM 800
Mesa/Boogie Mark III with a IIC+ mod and an R2 volume mod
ENGL Powerball

There's not really price range for these. But these are my four possibilities, since I will be trading my amp.

I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A PRO+CON LIST OF EACH AMP AND HAVE THEM COMPARED AGAINST ONE ANOTHER
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
You could cheap out a bit and go for the Carvin Legacy II. Pair it with a nice OD and you have practically any tone you want.
out of those id get the powerball.

although i would most likely get a screamer 50 instead.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Definatly go with Lee Jackson. That man is amazing amp. I had the pleasure of playing through one of his XLA 1000 heads. I went to the shop with both of my amps and a guitar to trade for it, but they had just sold it a couple hours earlier
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
ENGL Powerball FTW.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
Orange Rockerverb 50 + tubescreamer IMO.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Well, a Mark III modded to Mark IIC+ specs would probably get you very close to a Metallica tone, since Hammet used to play a IIC+ (and probably still does).

800s are pretty popular for thrash metal when boosted as far as I know, but I never tried that myself. Can't comment on that. Don't know about the modded one, either.

The Powerball might be too modern sounding for you. It's great for NuMetal/Metalcore, but isn't a typical choice for thrash or shred. It can do blues, but it's not exactly the best amp for it.

I'd go with the Mesa.
Well, I'm not looking to replicate Kirk Hammett's tone. I don't want to sound like Kirk Hammett (or any specific artist for that matter), but rather like me. I don't care how modern sounding it is. I'm looking for something that is extremely versatile. Something that can do blues with teeth (with a fair amount of distortion), thrash metal, thrash metal (not crossover thrash), shred, metalcore and hard rock. I do not want a super complicated control panel and I also want a ton of sustain from the amp. That's pretty much it.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Last edited by Junnage at Sep 2, 2009,
bump
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
look at the screamer 50, once i get a job its the first thing im buying. Its extremely nice, clean and lead.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by Junnage
Well, I'm not looking to replicate Kirk Hammett's tone. I don't want to sound like Kirk Hammett (or any specific artist for that matter), but rather like me. I don't care how modern sounding it is. I'm looking for something that is extremely versatile. Something that can do blues with teeth (with a fair amount of distortion), thrash metal, thrash metal (not crossover thrash), shred, metalcore and hard rock. I do not want a super complicated control panel and I also want a ton of sustain from the amp. That's pretty much it.

Than the powerball is possibly your best bet. I'd strongly advise you to try one out though, they're really not everyone's cup of tea.
Quote by Junnage

Peavey's amps 5150/6505's EQ is rather simple to use and very responsive, and one of the best amps period for any type of metal. If you're looking to go cheaper look at their Bugera clones. Delay and reverb is required, otherwise the cleans on these amps will be quite bland and boring, especially if you're a picky player and are on a quest for versatile tone.

Marshall's newer line amps tend to lack quality compared to the 80's-90's versions, Mesa is okay, and ENGL in my opinion is extremely overhyped. There's also no reason to mod amps when you can just get other amps stock that are entirely better. For instance, if you just want to mod the JCM800 so it's distorted tones will sound better just get a JCM900/2000.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Last edited by ZeroCS at Sep 2, 2009,
Bump to the top.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Please don't bump your thread if they were made the same day...repeatedly.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Quote by ZeroCS
Please don't bump your thread if they were made the same day...repeatedly.

I know. That's my bad. I need this answer relatively quickly because I have some pending trades.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
last bump
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
mark III. Aggressive lead channel. GEQ is a nice feature. awesome cleans. Can do thousands of tones under the sun.

Or a used splawn nitro. Versatile bugger as well. Not as great cleans but a better rhythm chunk
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks