Page 1 of 4
This has been on my mind for a while, not with just this community, but with musicians in general.

My whole life is based around music, it's one of the most important things in my life, whether it's playing music, listening to music, writing music or even standing in a record shop staring at music.

And i know this isn't just me who feels this way. So my question is, for people like us (i'm guessing there's alot of you out there ), what do you aspire to be/do in life?

Am i being extremely ignorant when i say that it seems like alot of musicians DONT want to persue a career in music? (as a performing musician etc).

As much as so many people love it, i hear so many say they want to go on to do other non music related things...........is it because of the fear that they may not 'make it' (whatever 'making it' happens to be)? Or peers telling them it's 'impossible' to get famous.

So yeah, sorry that there's no clear summary to this, but discuss if you can, your views would be greatly appreciated

P.S I'd just like to say to those who are aiming for a career in music, please don't let people put you down and tell you it's 'impossible', it's not impossible, if it was it wouldnt have been achieved by anyone. What it is, is damn HARD WORK. Nothing worthwile in this universe comes without hardwork, alot of people expect things handed to them on a plate. (obviously other factors contribute, like talent and luck)
There's riddles in the shadows
They're thrown the way that i'd expect
And people never seem to know
What they least suspect is coming next
hobbies rarely turn into careers.
I'm in a band, we get a bit of notice. Will I quit my job? no way. I want to travel and start a business. That's success, to me.
You can count successful musicians but you can't count the unsuccessful ones.

Summary: you're going to be an accountant
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Quote by GaijinFoot
hobbies rarely turn into careers.
I'm in a band, we get a bit of notice. Will I quit my job? no way. I want to travel and start a business. That's success, to me.
You can count successful musicians but you can't count the unsuccessful ones.

Summary: you're going to be an accountant

THen you and i have different ideas as to what 'success' is. To me it's doing something i love and being able to sleep and eat as a result of it.

And an accountant? What if i can't count lol!
Some people are just born with the talent and motivation, other people just love music. Everyone is different, as you may have noticed.
Everyone is born with equal chances. Life is about choises.

To me, guitar is now number one. Am I gonna turn my playing into just a hobby and try to get a job? No way! I want to travel and start a business. That's success, to me.

Oh, and I mean business as a guitar player.

Some people might want that too, but are afraid to do it. That's fine. Everyone will make their own choises.
I plan on making music until I die or until I hate it, but I still know that it's very likely that I won't make it "big". the chances of me doing independant records and small tours is very likely though.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
I love what I do even though im not very good at it (i think). I dont care what other people think about my music im playing. I would share it and people enjoy hearing me but im just too shy. I get very sweaty and nervous and my flow screws up around people. But I play alone and when I come out of the room everything is quiet as if they are listening and I Enjoy it. Makes me proud of myself.

Dont know if this is on topic though.

EDIT:
About business I will be willing to play for others but I have fear of eyes staring at me.
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Last edited by vinnie-watt5 at Sep 2, 2009,
Keep them coming guys i'm enjoying reading them
most musicians don't want a career in music cause the people around them (usually people who are not musicians) tell them that they will most likely not make it. I had this issue and it almost caused me to give up my musical aspirations. DO NOT LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE!!! they have never been in the music business and they do not know what it is like in the music business. If some homeless guys tries to give you advice on buying a house will you listen?

and any ways there is alot more to music than just being famous. If you listen there is music EVERY WHERE!!

If music is a hobby for you then don't expect to go anywhere with it. but if it is your passion and what you really want to do then pursue it.

and yes many musicians are scared they wont make it and this holds them back drastically.
I my self am going to do something in music I am going to be realistic and realize that i may not become the famous rock star i hope to be but i am gonna shoot for it while at the same time learning other skills in music that can help me find a good career outside of performance.

My tip to any one who truly loves music and aspires for a career in music is to KNOW YOUR OPTIONS! don't listen to people who don't know what they are talking about. Do your research and learn as much as you can just like you would before you make any career choice.

EDIT: I am planning on going to college as a music major by the way
Last edited by Zayrank at Sep 2, 2009,
Quote by January85
Everyone is born with equal chances.

this isn't true in any way. i had a way better chance (at life in general) than the kid born destitute in somalia.

as for me, being a successful musician would simply being acknowledged and being able to write music without boundaries and have it pay the modest bills i have. it'd be nice to be world renowned like metallica or pantera, but i'd be glad with only having a small handful of people who really appreciated my music over a million douchebags who just wanna hear the 1 song i'm known for.
Last edited by z4twenny at Sep 2, 2009,
Quote by z4twenny
this isn't true in any way. i had a way better chance (at life in general) than the kid born destitute in somalia.

But what if he wanted to be a Guerilla or something?

He'd have a much better chance than you would (assuming you don't also live in a war torn country).
I really don't have any fear of not making it. I'm going to try, and if I don't, then I can always go back to school. The worst that can happen is that I'll look back and say; "Damn, I didn't make it but I wrote the music I wanted to, toured a bit, met a lot of people and learned a ton."

I think my biggest asset is being able to see myself and my playing objectively. Especially among beginning guitarists it's easy to think of yourself as good when you can play a song, but there's a lot more to it than just playing notes. I noticed that when I recorded myself a while back I was playing everything right but it somehow sounded off. EDIT: Also, I'm always comparing myself with the pros in this regard because if you want to reach that level, learn from those that are there.

Beyond that I never sit down and think that I'm done learning. Everyday I'm learning or working on something new, and I never make excuses as to why I'm not learning theory or doing ear training, because they are just as vital to guitar was being able to play, and a lot of (mostly lazy) guitarists overlook stuff like that.
Last edited by Kenny77 at Sep 2, 2009,
Music something Id get a career at. Its more like something to do as a hobbie. It would be nice if if it turned into a career, but thats not something that i'm counting on.
Quote by January85
I don't care what you think.

I know what I said is the truth.

i don't care what you said

i know what i think is the truth

not difficult at all see!

Quote by M_G
But what if he wanted to be a Guerilla or something?

He'd have a much better chance than you would (assuming you don't also live in a war torn country).

actually i'd probably still have a better chance. kid probably won't live to be old enough to be a guerilla. whereas someone born into... well not wealth, but at least stability can have a stable enough life to grow up to be a guerilla... or doctor or musician or drug runner.
Last edited by z4twenny at Sep 2, 2009,
I like music and I like to learn and help others learn. So I'm going to work crap jobs so I can keep learning about music until I can support myself by teaching it. My 'hobby' will be making my own music and hopefully I could make a bit of money from that as well.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
I like to think "having a career in music would be great, but i've left it too late now so i guess i'll stick with what i'm doing" but i guess that's not true. I'm sure if i put in the practice and hours i could make enough to survive as a musician, probably mainly sticking to teaching rather than performing, simply because that's what i'm best at. However i'm not going to put that time in because i'm also studying for a ****ing difficult science degree. so i spend my hours in the library reading textbooks and pawing over graphs, then my free time playing guitar.

That's probably where the point changes - if this were a different world where guitar was a common career and degrees were only taken by a few people and people aspiried to be like the famous office workers. i would probably spend my hours practicing my technique in a music hall while spending my "free-time" reading textbooks and pawing over graphs.

In the end life is a series of choices with associated risks. you can choose to study, do a degree, get a high paid city job. That is safe - if you do the work, get the qualifications, then the job you are pretty much guaranteed to earn a decent some of money. You may then buy a guitar and try and "make it" but if you are doing said job and have put enough time into getting into said job you have already used too much time to really "make it" on guitar. You could choose to just play guitar, play hours each day to perfect your technique and then hope you get spotted and "make it big" while doing some teaching or something entirely different on the side to keep you afloat (and to buy your guitar) but there is a risk associated with that. Whether you take this risk is your choice.

Not everyone is born equal - it's ridiculous to say they are. A man born with no arms does NOT have an equal chance of winning an arm wrestling competition. More of life is luck and circumstance than anyone is willing to admit because it is so hard to admit you have no control.

I am lucky, i don't think i work that much harder than other people, yet i have a mucg more "conventionally comfortable life". i can afford a house, TV, computer, guitars. I have been able to apply and afford a university education. That will help me get a cushy 40hr a week office job with a nice salary if i want to go that way. Most people do not have that chance.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
I love music with all of my heart. It's my passion. I do other things, too. But music is what I want to do for the rest of my life. I decided this a long time ago. Does this mean I'm going to just pray I get lucky and join a band that hits the bigtime? No. Not to say I can't dream that will happen, and that I won't join a band and put effort into it. But this is the real world.

I also found that something I'd really love to do with my life is to teach people. Music... Teaching... Yes, I'm a music education major in college right now. It's a way I can make a living AND continue to do what I love. I'm playing in 3 bands for hours and hours every day. I still do other things (gen. ed. studies), but music is now literally my main focus in life.

I posted this to remind everyone that making a living in music doesn't mean being a gigging musician.
I'm going to make this short and sweet

You will never make it anywhere if you aren't 100% committed to what you do and strive to make that dream a reality. Hard work, dedication, and refusal to give up is what you need.

That being said, at least fall back on something musical if your going to give up your dreams.

I'm putting in the crazy hours of playing and practicing to try and realize my dream someday.
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
Last edited by Dragonis at Sep 2, 2009,
I guess another way to look at this is not "why don't many people" and to actually look around and notice that people do. You need people doing different things, if everyone was a guitarist there'd be no cars. If everyone made cars there'd be no food. Everyone does something and the fact people do different things makes stuff work.

Some people do make music careers, some don't. Get over it and get on with it.

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by Dragonis
I'm going to make this short and sweet

You will never make it anywhere if you aren't 100% committed to what you do and strive to make that dream a reality. Hard work, dedication, and refusal to give up is not always enough

fixed.

There are plenty of insanely talented musicians that work hard and don't give up, but still go unnoticed. Why? Who knows.
^ "i know!" *waves hand at teacher* "pick me! pick me!"
teacher: *groans* "yes doive?"
"is it because you need to be marketable rather than talented"
teacher: "yes that's right - talent counts for ****"

A monkey can sell tea (35 million a day!), but you can't sell your music? Maybe it's because you lack a massive marketing department who can sell it for you?"

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Sep 2, 2009,
Medicine...likely with a PhD as well.

I've never wanted to make music my career or even a job. There are other members (at least one) of "The MT Crew" who plan on going into careers completely removed from music. It's okay to do that. You can play the guitar for funsies.
I'm planning on finishing school first then follow my musical aspirations.

So that if I'm not able to support myself to my satisfaction then I can always go back to the career that I studied for and keep music as a side job.
Quote by timeconsumer09
fixed.

There are plenty of insanely talented musicians that work hard and don't give up, but still go unnoticed. Why? Who knows.

i wouldnt say unnoticed. you noticed them didnt you? maybe thats all they want, not big crowds, no privacy, and long tours. maybe they just want to make music because its their passion and it makes them happy. you act like its all a waste of time if you dont "make it".

as for me i just love music. everything about it. its the only thing ive had a passion for. so right now i plan on doing it for the rest of my life. im certain that it will take me somewhere if i keep at it. and i could care less about money, its not real. people place to much value on it, if you have a family to support its a different story tho.

Love for music, means you love playing music.

Wanting a career, means you love making music for others (or love for money, or love for fame)

Yes they can go together, but they are not by no means strictly related.

When did people get so brainwashed, that love of things should be measured with capitalistic ideas?

Like serious.

It's actually the opposite, because when you make music totally by your standards, then you can put all your love in it, but when selling to people, other's will have a say in it.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Sep 3, 2009,
Music was rwally big to me aswell, but then I realised there's many things that are greater (for me), like traveling and seeing the world or maybe live in another country and have a family and stuff. Family and all seemed to be a very boring, "square" life back when I was like 16 and all I wanted to do was to be a musician. Now i'm 18 and although that aint much of an age I still feel like there's a tons of stuff I'd rather do than music,s imply because life is so big that you can't narrow it down to one lane. But it's all relevant to each person.
music to me is a hobby, one which is very important to me. However i wouldn't want a career in music, not from the fear of 'not making it' but because i prefer to have it sort of a 'special treat' in my free time, if i had a music career I'm afraid that i wouldn't find music as enjoyable. Thats why my aspiration is to finish school, go to university to study chemistry, get a stable well paid job and keep music as a hobby.
Quote by mergapoot
music to me is a hobby, one which is very important to me. However i wouldn't want a career in music, not from the fear of 'not making it' but because i prefer to have it sort of a 'special treat' in my free time, if i had a music career I'm afraid that i wouldn't find music as enjoyable. Thats why my aspiration is to finish school, go to university to study chemistry, get a stable well paid job and keep music as a hobby.

You said it yourself. You ARE AFRAID. Afraid that you wouldn't find music as enjoyable.

It's all about fear. Not every fear is about "not making it".
Quote by January85
You said it yourself. You ARE AFRAID. Afraid that you wouldn't find music as enjoyable.

It's all about fear. Not every fear is about "not making it".

lol?

Why so pretentious about something that does not correlate with the fear you proposed.

Anyways, wanna discuss fear?

It's the bi-product of control.

If people are killed, they are not directly afraid, because the situation is "Controlled".

If a war starts, people do not fear, because they believe in their government having "Control".

It's all about control.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Sep 3, 2009,
Listening to and playing music has become a major part of my life over the last couple of years, but I've also come to realize that I need a reliable source of income when I graduate college. I'm a Chinese major right now, so I'm planning on getting a job in that field. Of course, I intend to keep playing drums, guitar, and singing, writing songs, and recording them on my own for whatever musical opportunities come up along the way.

Hopefully, I'll be able to record a few songs when I return to the US in a few months before the spring semester starts, it would definitely be helpful for starting a band on campus.
Fear?

Fuck everything and run
Quote by xxdarrenxx
lol?

Why so pretentious about something that does not correlate with the fear you proposed.

I said:

Quote by January85

Some people might want that too, but are afraid to do it.

So, I didn't propose any particular fear. Must've been your want of control, eh?

"Oh, he's gotta mean this particular fear! I need to start blabbering some random replies to him."

Quote by xxdarrenxx
Anyways, wanna discuss fear?

It's the bi-product of control.

If people are killed, they are not directly afraid, because the situation is "Controlled".

Actually, it's the other way around. Some of fear is the by-product of WANT to have control. Nobody has control over anything ever. That's something that afraids a lot of people. So, they create this false sense of having control. When they get reminded that they don't have it, they get kicked back to fear again.

Quote by xxdarrenxx

If a war starts, people do not fear, because they believe in their government having "Control".

It's all about control.

Yeah... what I said.
It should also be pointed out that a career as a musician also often involves:
-crap hours - evenings and weekends.... especially weekend evenings
-loads of unpaid work in between that, if you don't do it, you will not do any paid work
-absolutely no job stability
-no benefits
-usually mediocre pay
-usually means playing stuff you don't want to play
-a family or even a relationship is difficult at best because you have to put your work before anything else; because your hours will only let you go on dates at stupid times like Monday afternoons; girls look at musicians and see loneliness and poverty when they get out the 'long range forecast' ideas; etc.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
It should also be pointed out that a career as a musician also often involves:
-crap hours - evenings and weekends.... especially weekend evenings
-loads of unpaid work in between that, if you don't do it, you will not do any paid work
-absolutely no job stability
-no benefits
-usually mediocre pay
-usually means playing stuff you don't want to play
-a family or even a relationship is difficult at best because you have to put your work before anything else; because your hours will only let you go on dates at stupid times like Monday afternoons; girls look at musicians and see loneliness and poverty when they get out the 'long range forecast' ideas; etc.

CT

If that is what you choose to do. It's all about choise.
Quote by January85
Everyone is born with equal chances. Life is about choises.

To me, guitar is now number one. Am I gonna turn my playing into just a hobby and try to get a job? No way! I want to travel and start a business. That's success, to me.

Some people might want that too, but are afraid to do it. That's fine. Everyone will make their own choises.

This isn't true.

There's one person, his father is a famous singer in a world famous band, the son wants to become a musician. The father is prepared to do lots of things to make his son famous. They have a professional studio which the son can access at any time.

There's another, he suffers from a disease which could be life threatening, he looks out of the ordinary, and doesn't have many friends. In his free time, he makes music, although it's very hard for him.

Which one do you think has a better chance of making it? Life is not fair, it's not all about choices.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
Life is not fair, it's not all about choices.

Yeah it is.

We choose where we are born, we choose the circumstanses we are born into, we choose the family, the friends. Then we choose the things that come to our lives. We create our lives every second, wether we know it or not, wether we like it or not.

This is true from my own experience.
Quote by January85
Yeah it is.

We choose where we are born, we choose the circumstanses we are born into, we choose the family, the friends. Then we choose the things that come to our lives. We create our lives every second, wether we know it or not, wether we like it or not.

This is true from my own experience.
Wha?
Page 1 of 4